Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking at a New Holland L555

irwin ยท 2009-02-15 10:13

Anything I should be aware of? Guy says the starter has been a problem for awhile, but he's never done anything to address it..sometimes just clunks, sometimes needs a jump..not overly concerned about that, I can fix most things..just want to know if this model is a good oldtimer. I see they're going for $4 to 9K in the on-line classifieds.

Replies14
  1. #1special tool2009-02-15 11:26

    Just go and run it until its good and hot before you buy, like any other used hydraulic machine.

  2. #2accumac2009-02-22 18:03

    The L555 is a great little machine, Kubota engine, long wheel base and vertical lift. Watch out for a worn out engine, the L555 is getting old, like Special tool said, getting hot is a real good idea for the hydrostatics and the engine. Heat might bring out a weak drive or a oil burner. Starter problems are common because they have a glow plug system that you have to activate, people don't do it and just grind away on the starter. Watch out for broken and welded loader arms, near the rear of the machine and at the crossbar. If it was in Agriculture use, it could be very pitted in the lower frame and chain case areas. I think the older L series New Hollands had their own quick attach plate that is not the universal set up used today so rental attachments might not fit. I would definitely try to stay at the $4K end of pricing, things are a lot cheaper these days, you could possibly get a lot newer of a machine in the $7 to 9K range. Accumac

  3. #3irwin2009-02-26 21:14

    I checked it over good, hour meter works.. 2190 hrs, no welds, not a smoker. bought it for $3500.00. Paint is rough, needs tires and a seat..no sign of leaks..lots of power, fluids, filters aren't too old..starts fine now, he bought a starter before I bought it... the QA system appears SS, I think it's already been upgraded. How does the original N.H. QA system differ from the Tach-all that I have on my backhoe?

  4. #4accumac2009-02-26 21:41

    If it has been upgraded to the current Bobtach set up then it will have 2 levers that pull pins up out of holes in the bottom of the bucket matching plate. The bucket will have a upper lip that the quick attach plate slides into. The old New Holland system had ears welded onto the back of the bucket that looked like the letter L. The levers would pull the bucket tight to the quick attach plate through the L shaped hooks on the bucket. I am pulling up some old memories so I am not too sure about it. They will not interchange. $3500 is a good price since the machine is in the shape you have described. Accumac

  5. #5irwin2009-02-27 21:08

    Well that sounds good to me, thanks..I bought it believing it was.... It has been upgraded to the universal SS QA..I thought it had been..now I know it has..My grapple will go right on it, so will my toothed bucket.. I put new tires on it yesterday..ordered an new seat..the manuals I ordered showed up today..I'll follow the directions to adjust foward-neutral-reverse controls this weekend...(the right side drifts/binds a little)..this thing will be ready for work before the weather turns to spring..

  6. #6irwin2009-05-29 18:30

    It's been a while since I've posted here. Just to update on my farm Skid Steer It's been super for loader work. I've filled in many stump removal holes (big stumps) in half the time the tractor would take..it's great to dig with my backhoe, then jump in the skid steer and push dirt and rocks. I'm clearing a riding arena here. That stump/root ball was a little heavy for the L35, it could move it just not quickly or easily..but the L555 just rolled it away.

  7. #7k452009-05-30 22:27

    You got THAT stump out with the little Kubota? Good job! Ken

  8. #8special tool2009-05-30 22:48

    Irwin - tell us, honestly how long that took?

  9. #9k452009-05-30 23:15

    I'm sure it was less time than with an axe and shovel!

  10. #10irwin2009-05-31 19:36

    I left the tree attached, that made it much easier. It took a couple hours digging, when I made it all the way around, ( after a little rocking ) I pushed it over. Once the tree was down, it was cut up and a ramp was made so I could pull the stump out of the hole.

  11. #11irwin2009-05-31 19:46

    As an added note... the L555 acted up on me after a few weeks of hard satisfactory work. It started vibrating a little today (like the hydraulic pump was cavitating?) and the hydraulics (the boom) made it worse. I checked the fluid, it was foamy and a little low. I added a couple gallons (to full mark) and let it sit. When I went to try it out later the hydraulic charge light stayed on...no hydraulic operation. Right now I'm wondering if adding hydro fluid coulda' done something to make it worse...maybe water got in the hydraulic tank?(it's not milky, just foamy) Hope it's not the charge pump, but .....:beatsme

  12. #12special tool2009-05-31 19:56

    Good job. I hope there is nothing wrong with your machine.

  13. #13choober2009-06-07 09:30

    probation I have to 3 times to be a full member. Thank-you

  14. #14irwin2010-08-16 18:36

    I was looking through some older threads and ran accross this one of mine. I never updated here on the problem with my L555. The coupler (#12 in attached image) for the engine to transmission broke. I ordered a new one from Messicks. I spent one afternoon, removed the transmissions, used 14 gallons of NH trans oil, a few cuss words, and I was working it that evening.