Looking at buying an ih 7500 tractor unit with an ht530 325hp...I already own one with a 10 speed...power isn't great but it is ok....I am worried with a overdrive 8ll that it would be worse. Gear spread would be worse alao....it has 3.90 rears...never had an 8ll....am I worried for nothing?? I haul a 48 ft tri with about 35000 lbs on trailer....currently I use at mbe 4000 450 hp....for that trailer....my straight truck is an ht 530 10 speed 325 hp. Any thoughts?
It will work on flat ground that spec was a municipal special cheap and light your never ever going to be happy if your on the edge of not liking the 10 speed
I was afraid of that....it is a tractor unit with a knuckle boom and extended cab....was the rto 8ll convertable to 13 or is it just c model that was? Maybe just swap it for a 13? I think it would be better
I would probably put a 13 in it hopefully truck shop can chime in and tell you if you can convert the gear box
Thanks
I would be 99% confident that you cannot convert a 8LL to a 13. I ran a IH 2500 pulling a pup, grossing 93k with 300 hp L10, 8LL, and 4.44 gears for almost 10 years. Now, a L10 is a hell of a lot more engine than that HT530, but you are only looking to pull about 80k, correct? A 13 would obviously be better, but not absolutely necessary.
save your money