Hi guys I'm new here. I run a small landscaping company, and I've been looking at adding a skid steer. I found a 1996 New Holland LX565 with 4100 hours with forks and bucket. Machine looks to be in better shape than others, paint is good, not much rust and paint chipping. He says there are no oil leaks. From what I've been told the machine is tight with a little play in the bucket tilt linkage. The tires are foam filled, but the bad is that the tires are bald and need replaced. He is asking $6500 with bucket and forks, and $5800 with just the bucket. What do you guys think? How much would a set of 4 tires run me? and what would you guess the maintenance I would need to get her to 100%? Thanks very much! - Mike
Come'on guys! I need some help!!
For your tire cost look them up on skidsteersolutions web site. I have a NH LS 160 and it has been a good machine. The pins and bushings for that machine are relatively cheap.
Madlandscape, I ran a LX565 for about 5 years. It was a strong little machine. I swear it would lift more than the Ls170 that I replaced it with. I have since replaced the Ls170 with a L190 as my needs have changed. I had very little maintenance issues with the LX565. Seems like tires were about $150 each out the door. I did have some wiring issues after a mouse ate some of the wiring harness but that was certainly not the fault of the machine. I did notice that when running OTT tracks, the machine seemed a little underpowered. Maybe it was just that the machine had enough traction with the tracks that it wouldn't spin them like I could with just the tires. You should be able to get a brand new set of pallet forks for $700. Whether you get his used ones or a new set, get some. They are indispensable (my opinion). If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. Good luck, Tim
Thanks for the info! Is there anything that I should specifically look for? Any items that are prone to breaking or being damaged? What do you think roughly a tune up would cost? Drain fluids, replace filters, etc. I know with zero turn mowers, a tune up runs around $250-$350.- Mike
Is this something you can do yourself in the off-season? You're probably looking at about $40-50 supplies for an oil change and filter. Check with the previous owner to see when he last changed the lube for the chain cases. This is something you might want to do right away if it hasn't been done in a while. I don't know how much oil those hold. I've seen guys list new tires on Craigslist around here from time to time in the $500/set range. But it's hit and miss if you'll find your size on C/L in your area. With tires the price will be affected by quality/brand/size and tread type. The type of tread you choose really depends on the kind of work you plan to be doing most of the time. Aggressive tires chew up lawns pretty quick, so if you are moving dirt/gravel around lawns and digging up light sod to do patio work a smoother tread might be a better solution. But if you plan to do a lot of digging, an agressive tire will be a good fit. But the agressive tires aren't long lived for working on concrete.