I found a skid steer for sale I'm interested in. It is a 2006 cat 287b but im skeptical on it. It has a new hydrostatic pump and tool pump, new lift cylinder on right side, new pilot left hand handle. The glass is broke on the front door and it has heat but the ac don't work. Tracks look good in the pictures tho. Hes asking 21k or bo. It has 1900 hrs. I also found a bobcat t250 2004 with 5500 hours on it needs tracks, bucket is welded up, and the grill above the radiator is messed up, some rust also. He is asking 15300. Im 22 and that's kind of the prices I can afford. I found a 2002 wheeled cat 246 wheeled skid steer for 19k with new tires ac and heat with around 1400 hrs. I have a standard flow stump grinder I will be running also. Im just looking for some input thank you.
I would avoid that (ALL) MTL's especially when your just getting going. Look on Iron Planet and see what you find. Might have to buy some trucking but they run some good machines through there. Like anything buyer beware.
what do you mean MTL'S? You wouldn't go for any of them?
If you need tracks the 287b is the way to go. 1900 hrs is okay. 5500 hrs is a lot on a skidsteer Tires are far cheaper on maintenance. Tracks are better for soft ground but wear fast on hard ground And Rocks especially if you like doing doughnuts like some guys.
No doughnuts lol I have a grinder. Basically would be all soft ground. Its hard finding a decent used machine for what I can afford
I can't tell you any thing about those machines but I was recently on a similar mission. I think the price range you are looking at you should be able to find some decent machines. When I was searching the internet on sights like Machinery Trader, it seems that most of the machines I thought were a good deal for me were out your way. I had a max target budget of 16K and around the 2K hr range. I searched for a few months and found what I thought was a decent buy. 2001 New Holland Ls180, 2080hrs, $14250. More info about it so you have an idea of options. It has open ROPS, high flow, 2 speed, Hydraulic quick attach, tires at least 50%, seat has a couple tears but not destroyed like a lot that I have seen. It has a couple miner issues but nothing to major (I hope). The park brake did not work but I fixed that, just needed adjusted, spring on the 2speed drive was broken and $65 fixed that, there is wheel creep that is not fixed yet but I am looking for advice on this site to get that taken care of. I will not be putting this machine to work commercially just my own projects, I do have several friends and coworkers that are volunteering their projects for me test it out on. I don't know if any of this info is helpful to you but it seems when you are on the hunt all the info you can get usually is. GOOD LUCK!
So I found a really clean looking 2001 870 with ac and heat. 2800 hours no broken glass or anything. High flo looks to be a real clean machine for 14. It has a deutz 75hp turbo are those any good?
Do you mean 873?
Yup hit wrong button on phone
Here are a couple of threads regarding the 873 and Deutz. Good luck with your hunt!
Yes I think they are real good machines. Just get it looked over real close. Like others have said a timing belt is cheap insurance at that age of a machine.
Nothing wrong with an 873 if you take care of it. Ours is 16 years old and aside from the head gasket going it hasn't given us any trouble. Definitely look at the timing belt and get it replaced sooner rather than later. We had a Bobcat guy come out and do it, it wasn't all that expensive and he said that our belt still looked good for having been on there for as long as it had... The head gasket wasn't a big deal to do, the only thing is there are 3 different gaskets, our dealer sent us all 3 and we sent the 2 we didn't use back... Overall I'm very pleased with the machine!
Just got to know how many notches are on your gasket.
MTL is the ASV undercarriage on the CAT machines. 287 is an MTL, the machines ending in 9 are the CTL's they are more rugged.
picked up a 07 case 445 the other week!! 1500 hours new tires, hy flo, enclosed cab, hydraulic quick attach. l really wanted a tracked one but it wasn't in the budget for a decent one.
Nice machine justinointimemoto ! You can always look for a set of over the tire metal tracks. They will turn that little CASE into a mud going monster. Good luck with your new toy..
Thanks man! I'm going to save up some money because I bought a stump grinder for it. I plan on getting the rubber ones so I can cross peoples driveways and what not. Thanks again everyone
The rubber OTT tracks work great too. Looks like a great machine with some handy features. More pictures of it in action and good luck with it. CASE makes a solid skid steer...