Good day, I have a lead on a late 90s Cat 301.5. Just over 2000hrs on it. Looks in decent shape for the year. Was wondering if these are decent machines used and what I should look for when I have a look at it. Also are parts still available for this old of a machine or should I keep looking? Thank you.
It’s a Cat. Parts are still available for machines twice the age of that one. There also ought to be aftermarket parts available in addition to OEM. Regarding the machine itself the best advice if you are not mechanically inclined is to have it inspected by someone who is.
Thank you. Yes I have someone coming with me to check over the machines. Didn't realize Cat still has parts for this old that's great. Are parts and service manuals still available as well? Believe it's a 98 or 99.
Reply That may not be 100% guaranteed but usually parts are available either OEm or aftermarket. Model year means nothing with machinery. Post a machine Serial Number to help track down the appropriate manuals for that particular one.
If I end up with the unit I will do that. Thanks for your quick response and feedback!
Looked at the machine today. Found 2 issues: 1. Blade up/down stick doesn't spring back to neutral position. If you don't set it manually in the middle, it continues to put up or down pressure on the hydraulics and moves the blade. 2. High speed rabbit switch doesn't seem to work. When pressed and moving fwd or rev, it doesn't change the travel speed of the Cat. Switch seems pretty flat in position so not sure if it's just a bad switch. Wondering if anyone has came across these issues before. Thanks.
1 cable rusted up 2 2 speed problem could be the valve is stuck in hi or lo or wiring problem ive seen those before couls be other issue but less likely
Did you get a Serial Number.? if you want answers to your questions that's the best piece of data to start with.
I'll check the cable for issue #1 thanks. For the 2 speed issue, the foot plunger seemed to have very little up/down to it. Not sure if that's normal or if it should gave some good spring to it.
I did. It's a 3YW prefix. pm sent.