Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking at Case 580e

davidd · 2009-04-01 12:21

Greeting to all A great forum with lots of answers and knowledgable folk. I have been searching for a farm machine in good to excellent condition. I have found a case 580 e. I would have to travel to take a look see. I would like as many as will to weigh in on the merits of the machine. This is what was told to me over the phone. And the young man seemed sincere in his description. Around an 86,87 model. 3,000 hours. Standard hoe and bucket. Many new hoses and some cylinders have been repacked. Rear tires are about 2yr old. It has been a farm machine since new. (one owner) Brakes are down to 1/3 pedal left. Engine and xmission are strong. Back hoe is very strong. Is $10,000 about the value of this machine? Thanks in advance for a goood forum and your input. David d.

Replies22
  1. #1tx_swordguy2009-04-01 18:08

    I have heard (but do not know from experience) the E model had some issues with it. I cannot recall the specifics, but I found the info here I believe so do a search. I didn't recall it being a bad model just not as rugged as a d model. As long as the stated info is correct and is not a pile of rust, 10K sounds like a VERY good price. At least it would be in the DFW area. So much so that I would look it over real well. It is not being given away at 10K, but I would expect it to be closer to 15K. I think the Case is a good product and would serve you well. When I bought my ford 555B about 6wks ago the closest I could get to what you are looking at was a 580D. The hr meter stopped at 3500 and every cylinder was leaking, but working and strong. The dealer was wanting 10.5K . I ended up with the Ford for 9200.

  2. #2davidd2009-04-01 21:25

    I have also been looking at a 555b. It runs strong but has lots of small issues. Boom tie downs have been removed. No gauges work. Brakes are near the bottom. But no major leaks. Bad tires. Forks included Asking price 8500 but sales tax has to be added. I will dicker with the 580d price and no sales tax. I did want a machine with a 4n1 bucket, but they are sorta rare on an older machine. At least the ones I have found. I do not have to have one right away so I can wait. And it has rained 10 1/2 inches in 3 days so no hurry to move any mud. David d.

  3. #3willie592009-04-01 21:49

    I don't remember any specific issues with the 580E, I remember them being a very durable loader/hoe. All older Case machines were subject to cracks in the frame from loader stress, especially if someones been rough with it handling heavy loads. I think the E is the series when Case changed to the Cummins B series engine. The two things I like about these Case machines were their shuttle transmissions (built like an anvil), and the external brakes are easy to service/repair.

  4. #4davidd2009-04-01 22:16

    These cracks, are they usually on the loader arms or should I look at the main frame. Maybe a crawl under and look where the loader arms are attached? Attco you are at 499 post. You should get a coupon for a coffee or a suds for #500. Cheers

  5. #5willie592009-04-01 22:24

    Cracks develop in the machine frame. Sometimes they're not easy to find, especially if the machines dirty. It's just like any machine, you just have to go over the whole machine and look at everything. Go check it out and send us some pics. Also, I'll take the suds! And when I hit a thousand post's...do I get a bottle of Glen Salen Scotch Whisky?

  6. #6davidd2009-04-02 17:01

    I will print a coupon for the Glen Salen. Still debating the ford 555b or the case 580E. Also looked at a case 680E. Its a big machine, but I did not get to look it over or try it out. (owner not home) On any of these machines is hydralics availabe for an extra cylinder (grapple for example) If they do not have a "remote", then how hard is it to tap into the hydraulics and add a remote valve? And thanks Swordguy about your find and prices about 2 similier tractors. David d.

  7. #7willie592009-04-02 20:59

    The only problem I have with the Ford is they are still a tractor chassis design. And I'm not downing the Ford or tractors, the design is fine for tractors, I'm just not fond of it for a loader/hoe. I've had to repair fwd/rev clutch packs and charge pumps on Ford loader hoes. And because it's a tractor design, you have to "split the tractor" in half. On the Case and many of brand hoes; you have engine, converter housing, shuttle trans (fwd/rev), the a drive shaft that seperates the front goodies from the gearbox. Service is much easier. And, like I said, the shuttle trans in the Case might as well be an anvil, they don't give a whole lot of problems.

  8. #8davidd2009-04-02 21:07

    Thanks, I also looked at a case 680E. I searched Ironplanet auction site and equipment trader .com . But could find no 680Es . Are they a rare beast to be avoided, or are they just an oversize 580 with the same characteristics? Rain continues across the south. 14 inches in 3 days. Davidd

  9. #9gggraham2009-04-03 00:05

    The old 580SE were pretty rock solid. Some minor issues , the circuit breakers under the dash could heat up and burn wires a bit. Like ATCO mentioned watch for loader frame cracks. The Return to dig feature could seize up. The E series had 2 different brakes wet and dry, neither one gave much trouble but the wet is better. Shuttle and transaxle are solid as ATCO said. The only other pain was switching from 2 lever to 4 lever controls required restacking the backhoe valve.

  10. #10case3103502009-04-04 22:39

    The 555 had engine problems, if it has more than 4000 hrs most likly have all ready been replaced. they are the strongest digging machine. the case E has the 390 cummings, the case has a lot more after market second source parts which means parts are cheaper. good solid machine. so now it would be price and condition all things equal would go with the case.

  11. #11lmr8242009-04-09 06:23

    hi, all Ive got a 86 580 superE i just love it bought it in 98 for 26,000 for the farm i managed , five years ago i bought it for 15,000 for myself,the bigest reason i bought it was 86 was the last year that you could remove the hoe and replace it with a 3 point hitch. found a used 3 point hitch for 350 $ ,havent tried to mount it yet maybe this year. its been a great machine 4-1 bucket in front extendahoe in the rear 4x4. the only problem ive had is the door,door was tweaked when we bought it in 98, hindges broken ,mostly the door is off the machine, even in the winter here in mass ,the heat is so good no door is no problem...............good machine.....................mike in hopkinton

  12. #12simonbillodeau2009-04-15 17:44

    Your right, the 580e is a man! Your right, the 580E is a man. I been having one for a few years and put it thru the test. I had no trouble till lately and it has done everything I lined it up for. I would like some help on the trouble I am now having, its starting to loose hydrolic power after 30 min of running and feels like its starting to slip when I put it in foward. It's also starting to blow oil out of the hose under the motor. What could be causing this? Other then this the machine has done well for me! Guess it needs a little attention for all the hard work I out her thru...

  13. #13gggraham2009-04-15 22:20

    Simon:Could be a main relief problem, pump I'd put a gauge on it and see what my pressure was. Slipping in forward could be a clutch problem, bad linkage to shuttle, torque converter. Oil out of the hose from the engine, depends how much, if you put your thumb over the hose how much pressure is there, does it use a lot of oil. Best to start a new thread than continue here.

  14. #14Case 580e2009-04-17 15:45

    buy it man thats a good deal but its got to be 4x4 the best

  15. #15575Rancher2009-04-20 09:53

    Don't mean to hi-jack the thread but I just picked up an early 90's model 580E construction king that runs good with just a few minor hydraulic leaks for 4850.00. A local mechanic that used to work for John Deere says that the rear axle bearings have a little slack in them but it shouldn't be a huge issue to fix. I guess what I'm saying is keep looking, there are some good deals out there, especially in the current economy!

  16. #16davidd2009-04-20 10:38

    Hey 575 that sounds like a super deal. HOw many Hours on the machine? If you were not so far away I would make you an offer. :> David d.

  17. #17Russelln2009-04-20 23:01

    The only issue that I know of with the 580E or SE is Electrical and the fix is super simple. Helped repair about 30 of them in my area here. There is a 8-Pin connector that runs from the main harness from the dash to the Starter solenoid and the alternator and the main 12 volts going up there. This connector is the stupid rubber type (Push on Pull off type) that goes wacky if it gets moisture in it then corrodes (Just like a trailer hitch). We cut those connectors off, crimp bullet connectors to them then finish them off by soldering them for the perfect connection. Once verified and all connections are good, we encapsulate in a Shaken’Seal CK200BSV that the phone companies use for underground direct burial. Load it up with the resin and it is water proof for the rest of its life. Unbreakable for forever sealed. Problem resolved. Other then that, nothing major has ever gone wrong with these units.

  18. #18575Rancher2009-04-21 20:32

    I don't know, the hour meter doesn't work. It was owned by the local wind energy company and one of the employees (who grew up around here and is a good friend) used to be a Cat and John Deere mechanic. He's operated the machine for a couple years and listed off quite a few repairs that he's made on the machine. He says, and from what I can tell the engine is good and uses no oil. Might need some bearings in the rear axles but thats not a big problem. He recently rebuilt the hydraulic pump and has a seal kit for the input shaft if I want him to put it in for me, which I'll prolly do. One of the swing cylinders has had the end welded on, so if worst comes to worst I'll have to buy a new one one of these days. But for a ranch machine and not something that I'm trying to make a living with it should last me for a long time. I'm thinking I should buy a lottery ticket, I don't usually get this kind of lucky.

  19. #19mrmomo2009-05-12 22:24

    Is there an easy way to tell which ones it has? I just bought an '86 super E... interested to know if I got the "better" brakes.

  20. #20gggraham2009-05-13 23:35

    difference in brakes The easy way to tell wet from dry brakes is to look at the slave cylinder mounted on the top of the brake housings. Wet brakes have a round canister style and dry brakes have an inverted slave cylinder. (see attached picture) One note on this if you do have wet brakes DO NOT USE REGULAR GEAR LUBE The wet brakes take Transaxle fluid the stuff in the brown pail it is basically gear lube but has limited slip added to stop wet brake chatter. Matter of fact we use to add an extra pint of limited slip. If you are unsure you can use transaxle fluid in a dry brake machine without any problems, but you cannot use the gear lube in the wet brake unit.

  21. #21Phil2009-05-14 07:23

    Very nice post gggraham. A 580E for $4850. Drool,drool,drool..

  22. #22mrmomo2009-05-14 18:43

    Excellent - thanks!