Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking at Compact Wheel Loader

GPhillips ยท 2015-01-11 11:14

Are any of you using a compact wheel loaders for moving hay? We are looking at adding another loader to our farm and I have been really intrigued by these loaders. It would be used for load and unloading 5x4, stacking the same bales in the barn, and loading chicken litter in a litter spreader. Is there any one brand that those of you that use them prefer? What about 4 wheel steer vs. articulated steering? Thanks Greg

Replies10
  1. #1512high2015-01-11 11:52

    Hi Greg, I have a 2011 John Deere 244j, we only use it for snow removal, and love it, has stereo steering, I don't know too much about compact wheel loaders, a friend has a cat 906h, and likes it a lot too.

  2. #2gearhead822015-01-12 10:28

    From a stability perspective, the 4 Wheel Steering has more stability because the weight is always directly behind the load. I have some experience renting a Wacker Neuson loaders and was pretty pleased with it. I used the 550 and it worked well. I was using it for unloading pallets of sod off of flat beds and had no complaints.

  3. #3Mark132015-01-12 18:45

    We have a Case 321E on the farm we move big square and round bales with. Fantastic machine, only gripe is the hydraulics are a little slow. We mostly unload the goosenecks and step deck trailers with it at the farm and use a CTL to load in the field however we have used it out in the field as well. Being set back from the trailer makes loading/unloading nice as you can see everything. Also stacking bales is much easier then using a skid loader and trying to look up through the little window at the top of the cab that is always dirty and you end up guessing about what you are doing 90% of the time.

  4. #4KSSS2015-01-13 00:33

    I rented a Wacker Neuson 50 articulating loader last Fall. I really liked it. Very comfortable, and extremely easy on fuel. My only issue was not enough reach to load dump trucks. They have just come out with a 60 sized machine that sounds like it fixes that issue.

  5. #5CM19952015-01-13 07:07

    A smaller/compact telehandler might work well also.

  6. #6lumberjack2015-01-13 07:53

    Yeah the Genie 5519 comes to mind.

  7. #7DirtVanDigger2015-03-09 03:29

    For AG work John Deere offers 204K, 304K and 244K. All are very competitive in price and all offer quick attach system and can interchange attachments with skid steer machines. (IE buckets, fork attachments, blades, etc) Easy to drive and maintain...

  8. #8RT Engineering2015-03-22 23:30

    I've been looking at a Compact wheel loader for some time, They run great, and I really like the idea of not skidding the tires anymore. I did notice something that does scare me, I looked under a new Kubota R630, there are no belly pans. So mud dust everything that splashes up will be covering all the hoses and electrical connectors under the machine. I also noticed the lowest part of the machine is the drive shaft. Not the best part to be contacting the ground if someone rolls over a steep berm or falls into a hole. I went to the Deere dealer to check on my dozer and there was a new 244k being loaded on a trailer- same thing- the drive shaft is the lowest part. Has this been a problem for anyone? Thanks, RT

  9. #9lumberjack2015-03-23 00:37

    I've never had an issue with it hanging up/splashing mud on something that matters. You do need to be carful in the woods doing forestry work as limbs can jab at things that are best left alone. What application are you looking to fill?

  10. #10just do it2019-11-14 18:00

    I have a m-f 1526 4wd front loader can have other implements put on with optional quick attachment but would be great for loading bales! also this a compact tractor.