looking at inverters for the service truck. Not sure what wattage I would need. Looking to run a small microwave,battery chargers, torpedo heater. Not all at once of course. I was thinking 1000w would do but thought I'd ask as figured some here would have experience with what works and what doesn't. Also any prand recommendations? Thanks for any help.
can`t name a brand but-3500-4000 is workable 1000 will hardly run a coffee maker
My truck has a Redi-Line inverter. I dont remember what it's rated at but I know it runs a 4" grinder just fine. It is a pretty good sized unit. I bought the truck on an auction and it was on it so I don't really know how much they cost.
2000 watts is 16.5 amperes, which is more than an average house outlet breaker's capacity. A 2000 watt inverter will draw approx 200 amperes of 12v from your battery when a full 16.5 amp is in use. I run solely Wagan modified sine inverters. No issues whatsoever with the 12 or so I have in service. 4.5 inch grinder draws 6 ampere at full load, so the inverter needs 60 ampere from the truck 12v system. Only thing I can't use on my Wagan inverters is my angle grinders with the anti kick back feature, or active power management.
Beware the microwave's needs. Some Electronics don't like anything besides "pure sine wave" power. A microwave is heavy "electronics" You might be better served with a propane stove for cooking. Good for a torch too. If you're set on a microwave... check out what microwave and inverter the truckers use. I've seen some elaborate living cabs.
I have a Go Power 2000 Mainly use it for my AC recovery machine and a day star Val6 heater
To power all the deep fat fryers, espresso machines, hair dryers, special corn dog cookers, swinging chicken roasters, pop tart toasters, crock pots and microwaves we use. Tundra 2000W inverters in our OTR's. Can't have grumpy driver because his pop tart wasn't hot.
Too funny Truck Shop !
I did a little reading and seems pure sine wave would be the best choice and your posts seem to mirror that info. From what everyone here says it seems that 2000w is the minimum setup likely. I'm not looking to run a standard microwave just a small one to heat up soup or leftovers once in awhile for lunch. I will do some looking at inverters here shortly. I appreciate the input.
Go to your local truck stop and buy the 12volt food heater. It’s about the size of a small lunchbox and costs like $35? Does a damned fine job of reheating leftovers. I’d be curious about the inverter though. Would like one to run my battery charger for the Milwaukee m18
Mine is Krieger KRM 100. If I recall correctly, it is 3000 watt continuous rated, 6000 surge. Do not imagine it'll supply a steady 3000 watts. I have to run the engine to get anything close to 3000. A 100 amp alternator @ 12 volts is only 1200 watts. More load than that draws down the battery. Think of inverter power sources as short term AC power. A drill, saw, or microwave for minutes, NOT a space heater.
Mine is 1500 watt mounted under the seat wish it was twice as big cant complain it was a 100 dollar Sams club special about 18 years ago Handy as all get out though it runs my dewalt charger in fact its on right now it can run that overnight no problem,75,000 btu torpedo no problem the big 165000 it struggles to start
As far as running an M18 charger, I started running mine on a Harbor Freight 2000w long before I knew you weren't supposed to. I run a standard combination M12/M18 on the one on my solar system in the shop, (no A/C due to the county zoning land that has been in my family (and farmed) since 1941 for upscale houses). I use an M12/M18 Rapid Charger on the one in my truck. The one in the shop sometimes stays on all week with a battery on it with no problems.
I'm getting one on Friday. Found a nice 3000w on sale at napa going on sale friday.
How much?
I have a 2000 watt invertor in my van powered by 5 isolated 27 series AGM batteries. I can run a small 110 electric heater for 8 hours and still be at 12V on the invertors gauge. That being said I have a full size 1000 watt microwave and it pulls down. If the van engine equipped with a 230 amp alternator is running it works like I have the shore power plugged in. I think the 14+ volt input while running is the key. I will go to a 3,000 watts invertor if this one craps out some day.
I would have liked one would have ran a Maxstar.
A very tall order.
I have a 2000/4000 Coleman thing and had 3 new batteries on it and wouldnt run it. I dont recall if i had the truck running. It runs from 20A 120 line power. I wondered if anyone had tried it with a better inverter. Wasn't intended to pipeline, just to burn a rod for repair.
Not to be the odd man out here, but instead of a giant, power-sucking inverter, how about a small one for the Milwaukee, cell phone, laptop, etc, and a 2-3k watt generator when you need the power for a tool or microwave?
Well, I use a 10K watt Miller welding machine! LOL
I got 4 engine drives and don't use any. Been so long since I used one had to startup and service one. Took longer to service it than do the job I did.