Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

looking at komatsu 820

chieff ยท 2010-01-01 00:19

I have searched all over the forums and have found very little info or folks who own or run a komatsu skid steer. I have found a sk 820 that is an 06 model year with less than 250 hours I am looking for a good skid steer for use around the farm. The man bought the machine new but as the economy grew worse his work is down and he needs to sell it. He is asking $16,000 for it and it looks and works new. I am not going to be earning a living with the machine but I do want one that is reliable and won't nickel and dime me to death. Any advice is appreciated.

Replies8
  1. #1rusty nut2010-01-01 00:48

    820 There is 2 listed on Kijji Kithener Waterloo Ont. Can. 07 and 08 low hrs with warr. Good looking machines.

  2. #2John C.2010-01-01 14:00

    Is there anywhere close where you can get parts? Is there anyone around that knows how to work on it? Does it have electronic controls or engine. Do other attachments fit on it? The fact that there are few around should tell you something about the machines.

  3. #3MrElectric032010-01-02 02:00

    If you have a local dealer that can support you with parts when you need them then you will be fine. We have sold alot of them and they hold up just as well as any other brand as long as they are used for what they are meant to be used for. Its when guys try to use the skid steer as something its not that we run into problems. Bottom line is it will break, it will need parts and it will need repaired, just like any other type/brand/color machine you buy.

  4. #4gencntrctr2010-01-02 19:30

    They are good machines. I concur with MrElectric03.....it will break, it will need parts and it will need repairs. Nature of the beast I guess.

  5. #5darinray2010-01-02 21:21

    Holy heck yeah buy that machine. It's basically brand new and that is a good price. I have 2 on my lot and I can say I'm asking more than that... But one is cab/ heat/ air too. Darin

  6. #6chieff2010-01-02 21:56

    I have a dealer that is around 15-20 miles away so I can get parts and service close by. I have ran tractors for years but have never owned a skid and most everyone in my neck of the woods runs bobcat. I don't have to be like everyone else I just wanted to be sure that Komatsu made a decent skid. I know they make great large equipment and assumed at least some of the quality would trickle down. Thanks for the replys.

  7. #7MrElectric032010-01-02 22:48

    Thats good, nice to have a dealer local. IMO they are far better than a bobcat, and the price is right!

  8. #8chieff2010-02-13 19:43

    I just got a chance to finally go out and test drive the 820. It was very smooth and ran just like new. It was the smoothest controls that I have ever used. Anyone else have experience with these komatsu's ? I don't have to own the same brand as everyone else near me, I just don't want to have a skid that will not be supported down the road. However, I do have a dealer close by but I wonder if Komatsu doesn't begin selling these more often if they will dump their entire skid steer line and leave the current owners in the wake.