Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tooth Bucket???

caseaddict01 ยท 2009-12-31 15:58

I have an 2001 Case 1845C and live in East Tennessee, I'm looking to purchase a tooth bucket but would like to find a good used one possible, so if anyone lives in this area of the country and knows where I could find such a thing please chime in. Thanks

Replies18
  1. #1Bumpsteer2009-12-31 22:04

    Tooth buckets for skidsteers aren't very common. Your best bet would be to get a bolt on tooth bar for your current bucket. Another option is to weld shanks for teeth on a plain bucket. Ed

  2. #2RTSmith2009-12-31 22:14

    I have found several times I'd like to have a tooth bucket myself. What is a good source on tooth bars? Some I've seen look pretty lightweight.

  3. #3Colorado Digger2009-12-31 22:28

    15 years ago i bought a tooth bar with my first skid steer. now, many machines later we have 2 or 3 heavy duty buckets with teeth. i would buy 1 smooth with a bolt on cuttin edge and a toothed bucket. it is worth it. i don't know what the conditions are but our machines are bobcat 250's and 300's. we do not dig alot with them but i know they can be used for that application. the tooth bars tend to bend and buckle and the outer teeth always get mangled.

  4. #4trukfan2009-12-31 22:51

    I assume by tooth bucket, you mean something like a rock bucket. Berlon makes rock buckets for skidloaders, along w/ a number of other manufacturer's. Do a google or yahoo search for "skeleton buckets", as that seems to be the name most companies give them. Be prepared however, to pay darn near 3/4's or more of full price for a used one. I built one over summer, using an old skidsteer bucket that I cut the floor and part of the back out of. If you've got access to a welder and an old bucket, they aren't terribly hard to make.

  5. #5Orchard Ex2010-01-01 14:34

    Ebay and some of the online auctions or equipment trader / machinery trader may be a good bet. For the price that they want for toothbars you may be better off with a good used smooth bucket and a set of weld on teeth. I bought teeth for mine for about $8.50 each from my NH dealer.

  6. #6Bumpsteer2010-01-04 23:59

    After some thought, I want to add that when buying weld on tooth shanks for a skidsteer bucket, they are very different from those on a backhoe bucket. Asking a dealer for shanks & teeth, will inevatebly get you the wrong parts if you aren't specific on the application. On a hoe bucket, the shank welds on the underside of the bucket. For a loader bucket, the shank is on the TOP of the bucket. You can"t simply flip the shank over!!! The proper shank allows the bottom of the tooth to be even & parallel with the bottom of the bucket cutting edge. Ed

  7. #7heavylift2010-01-05 00:24

    cat bucket (maybe others also) with teeth the whole tooth is on top of the cutting edge.. and the teeth just bolt on. If possible I would use a toothed bucket 100% of the time... I always ask for a toothed bucket... don't always get one..

  8. #8willie592010-01-05 20:55

    I know several skid steer contractors here that use tooth buckets only, even spreading gravel. Smooth cutting edge buckets just won't cut into the heavy/firm clay here in East Tennessee, and they find even when they're doing smooth bucket work, like gravel, it's still better to have the teeth when they have to dig.

  9. #9TURBOCAT2010-01-05 22:29

    I would not put a tooth bar on, they are not that strong. If they get tweeked a little bit they dont fit back on. I almost always show up to the job with one tooth bucket and one smooth bucket. I am always glad i have both. You can grade a lot easier with the tooth bucket. Once you get one you will love it. I found one at a dealer in the back, it was used but in nice shape. I think i paid 300.00 for it and well worth it.

  10. #10Dodge07around2010-01-06 12:41

    teeth install I just got a 252B2 brand new and also purchased the teeth to go on it, do I have to take off the cutting edge to put them on??

  11. #11TimHay2010-01-06 12:56

    All i use is a tooth bucket. I welded the teeth on my self it works great i do finished grade with it. I put the teeth on level with the cutting edge it sometimes leaves marks in the top soil but they have to rack it out when they seed any way

  12. #12heavylift2010-01-06 14:59

    They bolt to the bucket. so you may have to remove the replaceable cutting edge. the bucket edge doesn't wear that much with teeth. I think I used up probably 10 sets of teeth before they replaced the cutting edge. in maybe 18 months. they put a laborer on one during snow removal ... he wore a almost new set of teeth down to the cutting edge... he had the bucket tipped at a 45 degree angle and on the back wheels the whole time.... But his answer was "You no tell me, si si si " and off he would go:beatsme

  13. #13Dodge07around2010-01-06 17:25

    thanks for the info think ill leave em on. Yeah some people ya gotta show em by holding there hand ointhead

  14. #14heavylift2010-01-06 18:02

    they may have a tooth that uses a cutting edge also. i don't know.. might call cat to check

  15. #15Landworks2010-01-11 21:05

    If you are needing to locate a tooth bucket, try the local rental houses (RSC, UNITED, and Stowers Cat). I know that RSC often gets two buckets with every new machine and when they sell them used, they sometimes have some extra buckets on the yard that you can pick up reasonably.

  16. #16aja4582010-01-13 17:13

    tooth bar I have used a removable tooth bar on both bobcats I`ve owned. I hardly ever take them off,except for snow and sometimes making my dirt work extra nice. I use the heal of my bucket (full of stone)and back drag stone. the toothless bucket is useless to dig with and I`ve only had to replace a few teeth over the years.(just wearing out). dont need the hassle of another thing to chain down.

  17. #17Cal Blacksmith2010-01-14 17:06

    I have both buckets and use them both about the same. The one with teeth is a stock Bobcat bucket and has the bolt on Bobcat teeth on it. They wear very well and I am cutting DG with it. The teeth are going strong while I have about 3/4 inch eyebrow between the teeth and they started life together and have never been changed. As others have said, check rental yards and dealers. Keep an eye on Craigs list and the throwaway add papers. The Heavy equipment trader normally has several for sale. Good luck!

  18. #18Makoshark2010-01-20 12:03

    You can also search local heavy equipment auctions on Proxybid, ritchie bros, etc. Auctions can be great place to pick up attachments at very good prices. I've tried to get attachments at rental places but they always seem higher than auctions.