I have enough larger scale projects lined up for the Spring/Summer that I have started to think about picking up an older Lull. This would be for for the usual residential construction uses. Lifting framing lumber, a work platform for windows/siding, etc.. I dont have the budget for a newer model yet bat have seen some great deals on older ones. In particular I spoke with the owner of this one I found on Craigslist . The owner is not terribly knowledgeable about the machine itself but gave me a good history. It was originally a rental for years and years then sold to a local contractor. This contractor used it some and sold it to another contractor a few years later. That contractor had it for roughly 6 years and put a lot of new parts into it. Paint, breaks, pistons, etc. This guy bought it from him just for one project and now it just sits. It has 4wd, 3 way steering, and a Chrysler slant 6 (he says the 6 feels weak and might have some blow by). He says it is a 400s c1. Can you guys give me any advice on the capabilities of this machine for the type of work I described above? Also what sort of things should I look for when I go to check it out? Are there common wear points or major/expensive issues I need to worry about. Thanks in advance guys.
unless you are getting that for next to nothing, i wouldnt buy it. and i would definetly not put a work platform on it, since i highly doubt it has locking valves on the hydraulic lift cylinders. whats the price?
Asking is $2950. I will probably try to get it for $2500 if I do move on it. Can you elaborate on why you would not want it. Like I said this will be my first Lull and any info or opinions you can give will help as I keep looking around.
if i saw you pull up in that machine, i wouldnt take you serious. that machine is past its time and is about due for the scrap yard. try and spend about 10-12 and get a traditional straight shooting boom lift and you will be a lot happier.
Skata, Thank you for the opinion. However I personally have no issues with the age of a machine. I have a few tractors here from the early 70's that work just as well if not better than most modern equivalents and saved me a ton of money in upfront purchase price. I will most likely end up with a more modern shooter boom down the line, but I am not interested in one at the moment. What would be most helpful to me would by any info or experience someone might have on this machine or similar ones. Again thank you for the opinion though.
I dont wanna rain on your parade here but i would avoid something that old.... If you were going to use this around the house and had ample time to fix this thing every time it broke down, and OSHA wouldnt see it, i wouldnt say anything. As it is, you are going to try to make money with this thing. Time is money...... again, time is money! Like said before, i would wait and save up a little more cash and buy a shooting boom machine. I think you are in for trouble with this thing. I would under no circumstances put a man basket on this machine either. Your $2500 for the whole machine wont touch the OSHA fine for running it like that. Let alone if something happens and someone gets hurt. If this machine wont pass annual inspection (and it wont) i wouldnt consider it for any price. Not trying to be rude, i just dont want to see anyone end up in trouble. Best of luck!
I appreciate the concern, especially about the working platform. I have access to a nice scissor platform and will probably use that for all the man work based upon the suggestions. However IF this machine is in great shape it would still be a great mule for my material handling needs. Dont worry about raining on my parade as I am not sold on this one machine. I would just like to learn about it so if I do go look at it I can make an educated decision on its potential. Even if I dont get this one I will have a better idea on how to narrow my search as time goes on. I have plenty of time to look around for this and heck I could always rent one until the right machine comes along or the budget goes up.
Its an old machine - not sure if its supported by Lull anymore. Someone on this board should know. I saw one of these - its a 422 isn't it? - a non runner, but complete - on craigslist for $1000 about a year ago - it was on there for a LONG TIME (hint: no one wanted it). I was going to buy it just for the tires - I did not buy it because it was too far away. Anyway, I'd probably pass on this one also. I got my Lull 644 for $3200 and I had to dump about $1k into it and some work. There are deals out there on the newer machines.
My advice as well would be to put another $8k and buy a 534D Gradall, but that is easier said than done and I understand that. If your budget is $2500 and the machine checks out and operates as it should, then proceed with caution in your purchase. There are a boatload of good used shooting boom forklifts out there and the difference between these machines and the one you are looking at is night and day. I have a 1998 Gradall 534D-6 that I purchased new. "Ol' Blue" has been a great machine and worked on many projects over the last 14 years. Even though I don't do any building projects anymore, I keep her around for the occasional lift - these machines are very handy. Best of luck!
I second that it is to old to use on paying jobs it might be fine around the house but what will it cost to breakdown and have 3 guys watching you fix it.I would say the axle swivels and transmition being the must problematic or worn with parts being hard to find. I had a old skytrack of the same age everytime I would take it to a job witch I would avoid at all cost it would break down. It was awkard and unsafe and I finaly unloaded it to a dealer on trade for a cat th 63. I don't know how I made out without it. It will reack 42 feet crab steer and go just about anywhere. I can't imaginetrying to do the same things I have done with the cat with the skytrack. Right now the prices are cheep on forklifts because of the lack of building and all builders had bought 2 or 3 when things were good and now don't need them. Just my thoughts if you have time and skills to work on it it might work for you just don't see it worth me fighting that battle again. GOOD LUCK!
Wow, I an really starting feel a theme here, lol. Ok two questions to add to the discussion. 1. What is it about this machine in comparison to a shooter that makes it not worth use on a site? 2. What are some different names or brands of worth while shooters so I can set up some craigslist watches. Just so you all know what I am working on. I am looking for 4 things and trying to keep below 20k. I need a lull (most important profit wise), a single axle dump (older like a c70 or f800), 12-15 ton trailer, a backhoe (most fun for me, lol). As you can see the budget is a little tight. However as these make their money and save me on rental fees I plan to upgrade as needed and deserved (based upon profit) over the next few years. I figure ant of these could be resold at no loss as I trade up.
This is the lowest price I was able to find on Craigslist at the moment. http://westernmass.craigslist.org/tls/2813687561.html Is 11k a fair price for a mid 80's machine like this? As I said before 2500 is not my max budget, although it would be great to get a decent machine for that price . I would prefer to spend 5-6k instead of 10k, but maybe I am dreaming.
I think the asking price is high, depends on what you could negotiate. Take some time and browse on Machinery Trader - http://www.machinerytrader.com/drilldown/manufacturers.aspx?ETID=1&catid=1038 That should give you a decent idea of what the machines are priced retail wise. Auctions are the best place to find one cheap but you really have to do your homework and check the machine out before you bid.
I use a 644 for all kinds of things , but I'd stay away from an old one, OSHA would put you out of business with that antique .
I have set up a craigslist search for a 300 mile radius and the terms lull, telehandler, boom fork lift, gradall. All i found so far was equipment well out of my price range, but I will be able to see any "deals" as the pop up. I also found a local equipment auction in early March. If I have not found the right equipment by then I will have at least seen a few used machines and have a better grasp of what to inspect at the auction. If anyone has any pointers for what to look for or avoid as I go along I would love to hear them. Thanks
That machine to me anyways, is worth maybe $5000. We bought a 1995 Skytrak 6036 in nice shape for $6000 not too long ago. You will have to shop hard for a good machine for 5-6k. That is low auction prices. Try ritchie bros or iron planet. They sell thousands of these machines a year. I have seen several decent machines sell for the 8-9k range. The 5-6 is really pushing it though. Good brands are Skytrak, Lull, Gradall, Terex, Gehl, Cat, Manitou, Carelift, Genie. You can still get parts for all these machines as they are all still in business.
Thanks for the input. I added all of the above to the craigslist search so I can keep an eye out for deals. 6k for a Skytrack 6036 sounds great to me. Like I said before I have a few months to scout things out, so hopefully I will come across something good.
I am assuming you are in New England? That is probably the highest price equipment market in the USA (as i understand). You may want to look in the south or Texas area. That seems to be where we have gotten our best deals. If you are craigslist crazy you should try searchtempest.com. Its a search engine that will search the whole country. It is the best one i have found out there.
The 644D wouldn't be a bad machine for moving materials. You can usually find them cheap and they have good visibility. On the negative side: It doesn't have much capacity at full extension, the gearbox input shafts are weak, and keep the fuel tank full during storage to prevent rust. ISZ
2001 jcb for 13k http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/bfs/2838452695.html i would have bought this in a heartbeat, but cant justify another machine with how slow things are. there are deals out there. you should be able to find a 1995+ machine no problem for low teens.
Thanks for all the additional info. Yes I am a Craigslist nut and I too like Searchtempest. I also have an app on my phone that saves my searches and refreshes them every few hours. Also I am in New England and didnt know our equipment market was so high in comparison. I think I would be a little worried buying equipment from so far away and sight unseen. Any suggestions on how to get a machine inspected so far away and how to get it shipped if I do look into that. I have also looked into IronPlanet, but was not sure how reliable that might be. As I said just gunshy of buying anything without at least laying my own hands and eyes on it first. It would be kind of exciting though to have such a giant present show up at my door, lol.
I've got a nice 2005 Terex th6622' 6600# 22' reach, 1300ish hours, 4 wd, 4 wheel steer, crab steer, quick disconnect carriage, in orlando, fl. 18500.
Thanks. Sounds like a great machine, but 18.5 is not even close to the budget.
Yea, if you are looking at something far away you can call just about any aerial rental company. They will send a mechanic to the sight and inspect a machine for you. I have used United Rentals, Sunbelt, and RSC. I believe they charged around $100 or so.
That is a great idea barklee. I can save myself a tire kicking trip and head out with a trailer an confidence. Thanks
Just thought I would share this "gem" that popped up today. http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/2840755932.html Looks great, but com'on. 15k for a 25 year old machine. There are much nicer and newer machines for less. I guess New England really is overpriced for equipment.
This looks like a much better deal for $2500 than the first one I looked at. http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/2840893975.html Hours are a little high, but still a much better deal than that first one. Still just window shopping and learning for now, so if anyone in sees anything they like feel free to look at it. Im still a few weeks out from pulling any triggers.
I have a Lull 1044B I might be intrested in letting go.
Pm sent. Maybe we can work something out.
Here's another one of those antiques: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lull-Forklift-/280805613173?pt=Forklifts_Other_Lifts&hash=item4161519e75 Here's an older Lull for a decent price, but its way too far away from you: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lull-Telesc...633?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cd954a91
I saw that first beast on Craigslist a week or so ago. And the second one does look nice, but as you said way too far.
Be careful of those older machines like the one pictured. I am a mobile mechanic that specializes in reach forklifts of all brands. I still occasionally see these old beasts and alot of the parts are not available. The last dinosaur I repaired was just like this, a Lull 400, the stub axle was broke. The final bill was close to $2000.00 because the USED stub axle was $1450.00. The axles were a common problem on those machines. An older Gehl 663 or 883 can be a good choice due to parts availability and they are a rugged machine. You can sometimes find a decent one under 10K. I do like Lull and Skytrak too, but parts are always easier to aquire when the original manufacturer is still the owner. Good luck!
Thought you guys might find this one interesting. Not something I would want, but stumbled across it and thought it was a pretty cool old beast. http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/tls/2802136330.html 18nascar18, Great advice. I had not been thinking with the availability of parts down the line. As a hobby I restore Case garden tractors. One of the things I love about them is the have changed very little over the years. This makes it very easy to find used replacement parts and swap accesories. I will keep that in mind with the lift and the backhoe purchases.
I think since you haven't make up your mind, and which means you haven't one you want most, so why not go to the auction and find more ? Or go to the websites that specially selling used machines ?
I have looked on a few sites, but have not seen any deals I was interested in. There are also 3 auctions coming up in my area. So far the inventory list does not show too many telehandlers, but that might change by auction time. They also have a few backhoes and S/A Dumps I am interested in at those auctions.
Rent. Unless its going to be a 100 hours a year. The cost you'll spend in blown hoses and the usual will pay for a rental when you need one. or a boom truck is cheaper if you can do the work with that. No transport cost, Really depends on what your doing with it?
I think this years workload will be right on the edge of the rent/buy line. If I am able to get a machine at a really good deal I will be ahead of the game for future projects and worst case could always resell it and recoup my cost. The three projects I have lined up are 1) Tearing off the roof above a 3 car garage building a new 2BR apartment above with full 8 foot walls and a new simple gable roof. 2) Tear down an older Cape and build a 3700 sqft home in its place. I will be doing everything from the ground up with minimal subcontracting. Might sub out the foundation, insulation and sheetrock as well as the obvious mechanical work. 3)A 1600 sqft 2 story addition with a kitchen, great room and master suit. I think I will be spending at least 5k if I rent only when "needed" next year. However I am sure there is more work I could use it for if it was on site and ready. I would guess the total if I used it every time I wanted it would be around 8k in rental fees. So if I can find a decent machine with good parts availability for 5-8k I will be at least breaking even. Also for hauling I am picking up a single axle dump and 15-20 ton tag along at the same time.
I can totally relate to your situation. My perspective is this: If i can break even on the rent vs purchase, repairs, hauling in three years time i will always purchase it. I will give you an example. Seven years ago i was in your position regarding a manlift. We use lifts solid about 6-8 months out of the year. I bought a 60' boom that was about 4-5 years old and paid 28,000 for it with 1800hrs on the machine, which was a pretty good deal at the time. I still have this machine and it has about 4000hrs on it now. I did the math over the winter on what it has cost me to own the machine all this time. It totaled in repairs, insurance, and hauling about 10,000 + the 28,000 paid for the machine=38,000. In that amount of time the rental would have cost 72,000. So needless to say it was the right call plus i still have something at the end of it that is worth something. Really what i like best about owning something is that if a job takes a week or two longer you arent getting plugged for another 700-1000 in extra rent that wasnt in the bid! When the machine is paid for you can always factor the machine at less than rental rates and have a pretty signifigant advantage over your competition. Especially when there are multiple machines you can do that on. Another big advantage is the small day or two jobs. Rental is so expensive for the short term that you always have an advantage over the guy who has to rent. Just my two cents:notworthy
I will say also that i think you may want to raise your budget a bit. Finding something like (i think) you need for 5-8K is going to be a tall order. I am no expert or equipment dealer but i am always looking for aerials to steal, and its going to take 12-15k to get something respectable that will last you for 5 years with minimal trouble. That 12-15k is going to be finding a steal! Its not impossible but that would get you something like a skytrak 6042 or 8042 in the 2000-2003 range with decent hours. Prices have really come up on these machines in the last 6-8 months so good deals are few and far between.
Here's one for cheap in Virginia. Not sure what model it is, though! Seller doesn't either, apparently. Can anyone ID this machine? http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-LULL-H...131?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4601695983
I'm chuckling reading this thread- I ended up buying the unit the original poster was inquiring about! So far it has been a trooper and for the amount of time I have been using it has been cheaper than a rental. It saved my ass when the contractor I was depending on vanished 4 days before the delivery date of my new steel building! I did some carb work to it, an oil change and changed out a busted spring in the starter. I'm not looking to do major work to it but am going to fix up a bunch of minor stuff and getting new hoses made as required is cheap enough. Some of them do look to be in rather tough shape. The former owner is a pistol! I can't loose money on the rig, I could scrap it out and get my money back and my building is almost done. Gary
Glad it worked out for you. The old owner did seem like an interesting guy. Good luck with the machine and your build.
622 may be 1986-1987 Lull
Any luck? The casino industry has been hit hard in South Jersey and contractors are at a stand still. There is a large auction this weekend at the old Atlantic City Race Track in Mays Landing, NJ. The last time I visited that auction, there were a line of 40 or so Lull type fork lifts, all brand new. The first ones went for over $120,000, The last 3 went for $18-20,000....brand new units.