Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking at some more trucks with fluid samples

Canadian_digger ยท 2017-12-05 18:56

What do you think about these samples. One sample came back with high lead. Do I walk away from this one? It's a c13

Replies6
  1. #1Cmark2017-12-05 19:30

    The spike in Lead was a couple of years ago. Do you have access to the repair history? Maybe it had new bearings rolled in after. Note the spike in Silicon on the following sample. That usually indicates dirt but can also be caused by gasket sealer following a repair. Or it could have just been an anomaly caused by bad sampling technique. The Iron is consistently higher than I like to see but then the oil change intervals are pretty long. I don't see anything to make you run away just yet. I would try and get its repair history and take another up to date sample to see if the trends are continuing. If you do end up buying it, stick to a 250hr oil change interval to get that Iron trending a bit lower.

  2. #2Canadian_digger2017-12-05 19:59

    I do have the service history. No bearings have been replaced.

  3. #3Canadian_digger2017-12-05 20:03

    Here is another one from a different truck. Their is a whole fleet up for auction. Another c13

  4. #4John C.2017-12-05 20:35

    Copper, aluminum and lead all look OK. I don't understand the high iron either but it isn't enough to say there is something wrong other than high hour change intervals.

  5. #5Delmer2017-12-07 00:03

    Ignore that one lead result, the second test has more lead total, 15 for the first engine, 21 for the second. What does that mean? more hours on the oil for the second one.

  6. #6DMiller2017-12-08 13:17

    New Copper, aluminum and lead all look OK. I don't understand the high iron either but it isn't enough to say there is something wrong other than high hour change intervals. Could be rings, once they wear down past the original surface coating they will shed iron.