Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking at Td6 or Hd6 maybe

Magwired · 2023-12-12 14:08

I found a dozer that seems to be available for too good of a price. They’re asking $4k and they claims it’s still driving and ready to work. I’m headed to check it out this afternoon. They call it an international td6 but from pictures it looks more like an HD6. I’m not sure yet. The problem is that I found it about 2000 miles from where my property is. For $4k is it worth buying it and figuring out the rest as I go? I have been planning to buy a F350 or F450 and a trailer anyways. I need to move a forklift across the country and so now I would just get a bigger trailer and a gooseneck setup. Do I really need this thing? No. But do I really want it? Yes. I want to cut a new road at my property and this would also work for making a utv track for my son. Can I have some opinions? Is this as good of a deal as it seems? Am I being dumb and should look for one of these closer to where I live if I really want one? I’ll add too that I am shipping two 20’ shipping containers from the same town this is in to our property. The haven’t gone to see it yet, but as the saying goes, “if it fits, it ships”. So maybe that would be an option for moving it the 2000 miles?

Replies14
  1. #1Welder Dave2023-12-12 15:45

    Need to see better pics. of the undercarriage. If it's on its last legs it's probably best to pass on the dozer. You're looking at spending more than the machine is worth if it needs undercarriage. Interesting blade lift. Somebody must have been looking at Terex dozers.

  2. #2epirbalex2023-12-12 17:03

    Of course it will fit in a container . There was a thread here few years back with a photo of what looked like two Arabs lying on the ground looking into a container , truth was the Arabs were standing and it was a Komatsu D85 lying on its side in a container but the photo was given a quarter turn . Dozer still had the Komatsu rippers on it but no cab . Going by what can be seen from the radiator grill this is an Inter .

  3. #3Magwired2023-12-12 18:46

    I will go and see it and try to take some more photos. I will post them here soon. Thanks for the help.

  4. #4Magwired2023-12-12 20:57

    I went and took a look at it tonight. The gas motor started right up. The diesel motor eventually started. The guy who is selling it bought it recently and had trouble getting it moving in the dark. He says he has driven it around his property. The blade goes up and down but was leaking hydraulic fluid from the main front cylinder. It’s probably not a good option for me, but I’m curious what folks think. My guess is that it could be gotten for $3k. Maybe $2500. Does this interest anyone else enough that maybe I can just earn a smal finders fee and pass on the deal?

  5. #5Tyler d4c2023-12-12 21:46

    I moreless skimmed all the previous post and I'm going to be "that guy" Either of the machines you have listed in the title of the post have basicly zero 0 parts availability. Say you do buy it and move it cross country and it then eats a final drive with out major searching and cost you will have yourself a 200 bucks a ton paper weight. Find a good machine that you can easily get spares for. Cat or john deere will be your best bet

  6. #6Welder Dave2023-12-12 21:58

    Maybe Case too.

  7. #7Welder Dave2023-12-12 22:00

    Not really a machine for a finders fee unless someone was maybe looking for parts.

  8. #8Tyler d4c2023-12-12 22:21

    Possibly locally our dealer is transitioning to a deere dealer so there an no go here. Op would be fine with a case assuming there's a local or local ish dealer

  9. #9Magwired2023-12-12 22:56

    Thanks everyone. I’m glad I asked and I appreciate the advice. The machine is in the Medford Oregon fb marketplace if anyone is interested. The nice thing about not urgently needing a dozer is that it affords me the ability to be patient. I think you are all right that it makes sense to buy whatever parts availability is local.

  10. #10Welder Dave2023-12-13 00:24

    It's highly unlikely you'll find a decent dozer for under $10,000 that doesn't need a lot of work (undercarriage being the biggest expense).

  11. #11Magwired2023-12-13 01:44

    What does an “undercarriage” refer to on a dozer? They don’t exactly have landing gear.

  12. #12Welder Dave2023-12-13 14:41

    The tracks, sprockets, rollers, idlers and pads it drives with. Very expensive to replace. Many good running machines have been sent for scrap or left to rot because they needed new undercarriage that was more than the machine was worth to replace.

  13. #13Magwired2023-12-13 16:34

    Thanks. From what I can tell, they were in good condition. I’m told it can drive around and work land as is. I’m not going to purchase it, but I would be happy to make an introduction if anyone would like to. It’s a 1950 machine according to the serial number and a look up chart I found. It’s amazing to see a 70+ year old machine that is still operable.

  14. #14Welder Dave2023-12-13 17:27

    Why are you so invested in it? It almost seems like you're trying to sell it.