Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Moving a non running TD20E

jezow2010 · 2023-12-12 10:11

I am looking at buying a TD20E that is currently non running. I think riggers will pick and load the machine onto a lowboy then I will be responsible for unloading. It's at a pretty tightly restricted facility so I cannot try to start it or really work on it or even grab pictures to post here. I fear though that unless I have a plan we will fail and or the dozer will be damaged. Essentially, if I need to do something to get it loaded and unloaded, I better know exactly what I am doing. Looks like it will not just tow, needs either grease in the tow ports or some shaft removed in the final? Thanks!

Replies16
  1. #1Welder Dave2023-12-12 18:09

    It should tow if it doesn't have a parking brake incorporated into the transmission. If it is a mechanical brake that is manually applied and released it would tow as long as you have something big enough to tow it. If you have to tow down any kind of a slope you'd have to be really careful because it will freewheel and could overtake the tow vehicle. On a slope it's best to have a second machine with good brakes behind it to slow it down if if starts to freewheel. You'll need something to lift the blade up so you can chain it up off the ground.

  2. #2jezow20102023-12-12 18:25

    I was reading that these have a spring applied brake hydraulic release as somewhat of a fail safe in case you are on a slope and it stalls. There’s one thread out there on the red power forum. Any experience with this?

  3. #3Welder Dave2023-12-12 18:57

    No but in that case there's probably a procedure to release the brake. Maybe have to use a small manual hyd. pump.

  4. #4jezow20102023-12-12 19:02

    What I read was theres two plugs you can take out and you put zerks in and pump it with about 3 tubes of grease

  5. #5Welder Dave2023-12-12 19:12

    That sounds about right. I wasn't sure if you used a grease gun or a porta-power pump. Either may work.

  6. #6.RC.2023-12-12 19:17

    From the user manual.

  7. #7jezow20102023-12-12 19:29

    Thank you. Seems simple eh?

  8. #8shopguy2023-12-12 20:41

    You can also pull the axles,they are behind the round covers in the main frame just in front of the sprockets at the top

  9. #9jezow20102023-12-14 08:14

    Any more insight on how to do that? Assuming oil would leak everywhere unless I drain the finals? Also, does anyone know what threads those ports are? I need to get supplies.

  10. #10jezow20102023-12-21 21:59

    She’s home. Put about three tubes in the tow port and it actually rolled perfectly. Thanks for everyone’s help!!

  11. #11jezow20102023-12-21 22:00

    Oh, everything is 1/8 npt and a pressure gauge is a must imo.

  12. #12Welder Dave2023-12-21 23:29

    That's a good looking dozer that doesn't look too abused.

  13. #13jezow20102023-12-22 11:03

    2160 hours was being scrapped. Got a nice deal but no idea if it runs. I will know soon!

  14. #14Welder Dave2023-12-22 16:02

    I think it uses a DT466 which there are thousands off and apparently not overly expensive to rebuild. Definitely worth looking into.

  15. #15.RC.2023-12-22 16:43

    Nah the V800 which according to the internet parts are near impossible or stupid epensive to get. You can fit the industrial L10 Cummins in there though.

  16. #16jezow20102023-12-22 19:59

    Oh I think it runs… I hope at least. Was parked as part of a grounds crew outsource move at a large facility. Basically they outsourced the work and the machines all just sat. The security was weird and it was being disposed of as scrap so the deal was I could look but could not bring batteries and try and fire her. Allegedly it ran when parked though. We will try and start it in a few days.