As the title says I am looking for a telehandler and need some input as to brands to look at and what to stay away from. I see a lot of the Cat units for under $20k. I am partial to John Deere, but they only made more farm specific ones for a few years. Are JLG, Lull, Pettibone alright? Looking on the smaller side for personal property use and if it can replace my JD 260 Skidsteer even better.
The older cat kinda suck. The later ones are made by jlg. Deere and lull are obsolete. I'd stick with the more common brands like jlg, skytrak, jcb.
You'll save the most buying from auction. Check out ironplanet.com
Thank you for the info.
You failed to mention what size telehandler, 6K, 8K, 10K, 12K?
Really where the price lies. Small is plenty but would work with larger as well. Bit of a project is not a problem as everything I own has required some level of repairs.
Just not wanting to do an epic thread
Well, I can't address price, but when it comes to telehandlers, with all the ones I've been around as a mechanic, first and foremost, I'm not fond of the side engine models. And just my humble opinion, bar none the best when it comes to design, repair accessibility (for the wrench bender), and quality of components is the Genie 844 with the Deere 4045T engine.
Thanks Willie
Gradall does not make telehandlers anymore however the 534D6 I bought new in 1996 is still making lifts. If none of our other newer diesel engines won't crank, the little Cummins in the Gradall will fire off everytime.
those engines rock. They are rarely a problem.
The old Gradall 534D is built like an anvil. Once you get used to the rear steer it's hard to beat them. But like you stated, they're no longer in production and are becoming aged machines. We have two Genie 844's, recently I replaced the boom extend and retract chains as well as the hydraulic hoses that are inside the boom for the fork tilt and auxiliary functions. The way Genie designed that machine I was able to replace all of those components without having to take the boom apart. We also have two old dinosaur Gehl DL-10H, I hate those machines, didn't like the Gehl DL model when the damn things were new back in the 80's. If someone offers to give you a Gehl DL for free...walk away.
Skytrack, JLG and IR Speaking from a a framer/roofers view.
Welcome to the Forums Clickstack!
Why not? Those are the best!
If you windup with a few in your area to look at, first thing I would do is check out local dealerships. More so from the prospective of, whatever you buy, you will need parts at some point. How does it go - buying a dealer! Even if its secondhand. Next thing you already have a skidsteer, so assume you have attachments to suit that machine. Part way though building an adapter plate to go from my 3 tonne JCB to Bobcat. However I must be careful not to go crazy when using some Bobcat implements, may bend em! So wrt to exxy attachments that I rarely would use, simply hire em for the task. Attachments to suit my Tele are quite exxy in my part of the world. On the Tele front, I have only used the 531-70 I own, so cant really offer a comparison between makes. To help with the cost of having basic attachments, I just buy secondhand stuff I can easily modify to suit my machine. Adapter plates is a piece of ****, just a piece of flat plate I digitized. Fits straight up to my Q-hitch. Hopefully there are some bits here that are of use. U wont regret not having to go through front door, over attachment. Good luck with it.
When I was working underground, we had 3 Ingersoll-Rand 1056s. They all ran 22 hours a day in the most extreme environment imaginable. They were simple and rugged, and were down very little. We had tried multiple other brands before IR, and nothing else came close to holding up as well. CAT was last on the list. 1056s are now made by Skyjack, and are still built pretty much the same. I see some have a Deutz instead of the Cummins we had. I don’t know which is better. The biggest problems we had were keeping brakes in the machines. Operators were always in a hurry and wouldn’t use the transmission to keep them slowed down, and they would wear out the brakes on the steep grades. But we couldn’t keep brakes in any of the other manufacturers, either.