I had a Komatsu D65E Dozer for years. The Cummins had problems. I bought a small Case 550G because I could haul it myself. Being used to a Bigger machine I have not been happy with it. I use it for fence lines, shaping and may dig a pond. I have been looking for a Cat replacement that I can trade up to. I found a 1998 Cat D6M LGP with a 6 way blade. I have been told to only push trees from the middle of the blade on 6 way blades. I don't want a unit with much electronics. I don't know anything about the Cat 3116 engine. I have worked on 3406 engines. Does that engine have any issues that need to be watched out for? This is a picture the Guy sent me. I don't know about hrs. Has 90% UC.
You'll find all kinds of opinions on that engine. Some say it was the worst engine Cat ever made. The marine world hates them for good reason. In boats they're rated over 300 HP and run that constantly, unless the prop is wrong and then they run overloaded below full speed, so they didn't hold up in boats. In fire trucks they're also run pretty powerful, but I haven't heard of any problems there. In a truck rated at 170 HP they do fine. I'd imagine they're as good as any Cat engine at the lower HP of equipment applications. Setting the "overhead" is complicated, and requires expensive tooling. But how often do you expect to have to adjust the fuel injectors?
Yes I saw in a Utube video that it looks like they use a setup like the Old Detroit's had with fuel racks. Would it have to be a D6H to have a 3306 in it? Were there any other items that were better on the D6M than the D6H?
Only thing I can think of is the PAT blade??
i would go with an XL unless you really need the flotation of the LGP machine , its narrower and easier to move and the under carriage will last longer , and the narrow blade will put less stress on the C frame when clearing and digging
Thanks for all the help, I have not see the machine so far. I found a D6H (The SN says it's a D6E). The guy want's 45K. I think that's to much for amichine that has 15K hrs. on the frame with no service history.
I went to go look at the D6H today, I really like the deferential steering. It has a PS transmission problem. Second gear forward does not feel right. Third gear does not move the machine in forward or reverse. I do also like the straight blade. It is easier for me to get on and off of the dozer from it than the 6-way blade. May be the guy will come down on price since it has issues.
The electronic clutch and brakes in a D6M can be an absolute nightmare when they malfunction. It takes a knowledgeable technician with a laptop to make a simple adjustment to them.
I might be able to do a trade on this one with my CASE 550G
That's an odd looking setup on the lift cylinders. I don't think I've ever paid any attention to one built like that. Personally, if I was going to get an outside mount blade (OSD) instead of a PAT, I would get at least a D6H size. Maybe not one with the transmission fouled up, though, unless you knew it was an easy fix. A man really needs two dozers: a production size machine with an SU blade for bulk dirt hogging and tree piling, and a smaller machine with a PAT blade for the ditch cutting and finish work. Then you need an excavator, and a haul truck and lowboy. And before you know it, you've got enough stuff to get some work done, but you need operators and dump trucks to hire. It's like a dog chasing his tail.
What"s you idea on differential steering vs steering clutches? I had never run a differential steering machine but likes the Idea of how it worked and puting power to both tracks all the time. Does the differential steering setup have a higher problem than steering clutches?
I put thousands of hours on both style steering methods. Once I ran a differential steer machine I never wanted anything to do with a clutch and brake machine. No more knee pain was one benefit ! Not once did I have any kind of mechanical problem with differential steering. Can't say the same about brake and clutch steering. Continuous power to both tracks had huge benefits in many conditions I worked in. From the looks of the wear on those track pads you need to take real careful look at the the rest of the track assembly. They may be a real money pit.
That and that darn near slick sprocket! That will run almost $15,000 just to buy the undercarriage, even aftermarket will be expensive.
The Guy called and said he has the D6H I looked at this weekend working correctly, will go back and give another look.
did he replace the transmission?! if the components were all low hours I wouldn't be too worried about the high frame hours. fine tractor, front equalizer likes to shell out making life difficult to fix it back up, but everyone does it.
I went and decided to get the D6H in the 2nd picture. Will get it home next week.
Hope it works out well for you Lofayix. Looks like a nice tractor.
Thanks everyone for you input it help me make a better choice
Update, Thanks Again I am really enjoying learning to run the D6H with differential steer!
With the SU blade and tilt cylinder, you can steer with the blade tilt while pushing a load. Don't know if you ever did that with your Komatsu or the little Case.