Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu D65e-6 steering prime/leak

jasonharville ยท 2017-04-17 16:18

I'm back with another problem that I'm hoping you guys can help me figure out. My D65e-6 has been losing steering prime ever since I first got it. I clearly have a leak in my steering system as I put 5 gallons of SAE 30 in it about 4 to 6 weeks ago which temporarily solved my need to have to bleed air to get it started. The need to air bleed has gradually returned since then and I see clear evidence of fluid leaks under the dozer. I have also noticed that the need to bleed air has gotten more frequent with warmer weather. The puzzling part for me is that I haven't seen any sign of losing gallons of fluid. There are definitely signs of leaks when I move it from its parked location, but it doesn't look like gallons worth. I did run the dozer pretty hard for 3 or 4 hours after the first top off so its possible the fluid was dispersed gradually over the land during that time. This past weekend I was able to remove the belly pan from the back half of the dozer and pressure wash away all the dirt. I expected to see leaks on the steering suction tube but after running the machine for awhile, there does not appear to be any leaks there. The most noticeable volume of fluid appears to be coming from somewhere between the trans belly pan and the engine belly pan. I ran out of time, so I haven't dropped the engine pan to clean/inspect yet. The service manual shows a loop of piping going to the oil cooler, which I'm guessing is going to be where I find my leak. Just to be sure, I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer: *Even without the apparent leak, I have seen the pump loose prime when I know fluid exists. The pump looks to be above the steering reservoir by design. The pump works fine when primed, but I'm wondering if loss of prime is the sign of a worn pump? Or is the system only designed to self prime with completely full reservoir? I was considering installing a hydraulic check valve on the suction pipe but if the pump is supposed to perform this function maybe I will just replace it? *With respect to the leak, I noticed when I bought the dozer that the trans fluid levels were above the full level. The dozer clearly has separate hydraulic and steering sumps but is there any chance of steering fluids leaking into the hydraulic system? Given the signs of leaks, I expect that the missing fluid is going on the ground but I just want to be sure. *Anyone know the theory behind having separate sumps for trans and steering? Having 8 or 10 gallons of fluid dedicated to the steering pump seems overkill to me but I haven't been around heavy equipment much. Thanks, Jason

Replies12
  1. #1tctractors2017-04-18 02:08

    Your Steer Pump is worn out and will need replacing, on the separate compartment oils, well it keeps sections from polluting each other, the brake bands and steer clutch packs wear and get filtered in a differing way to the transmission, they both enjoy pressure filtering with an air purge plug on the filter top, the transmission oil is usually checked with the engine running check the oil gauge. tctractors

  2. #2jasonharville2017-04-19 10:48

    Ah, I totally forgot about the brake bands being in the same area. That makes good sense. I also don't recall if I have checked the trans levels while running so I'll do that. I guess if it still shows high while running I will go ahead and drain some out while I have the belly pan dropped. Do you know if there is any chance of the steering fluid crossing over to the transmission? Based on what I see in the service manual it seems unlikely.

  3. #3tctractors2017-04-20 02:20

    The trans and steer pumps are hooked together driven through the Aux' gear drive behind the torque, this is the area that would allow steer oil to transfer. tctractors.

  4. #4jasonharville2017-05-01 09:15

    Spot on assessment. I replaced the pump this weekend and haven't had anymore priming issues. I was able to get the pump for $145 plus shipping, which seems like a pretty good deal.

  5. #5mikebramel2017-05-01 14:34

    Was that an ebay deal?

  6. #6jasonharville2017-05-02 08:41

    No, I was searching online for the part number and came across this site. I also needed a few track shoes. Definitely call them to get the best price! https://tractorzone.com/07430-72203-pump-steering-tz1/

  7. #7Milos 1232025-05-04 02:08

    Hello to everyone I need help I am losing steering fluid somewhere, oil for steering case is transferred to transmission case how it is possible and where can be problem?

  8. #8Dave Neubert2025-05-04 08:29

    Through the steering pistons located on the end of the of the steering clutches have to pull clutches also do bevel gear bearings as if these bearings wear they wallow out the clutch seals

  9. #9Milos 1232025-05-07 16:53

    But it will be back to steering reservoir still ?

  10. #10tctractors2025-05-11 15:28

    The pump was a gift at that price, you might want to adjust your Brake Bands now you are back working.

  11. #11Milos 1232025-05-13 05:51

    Hello to all I still can't solve losing steering fluid? New steering pump I mounted. If losing on steering cluches fluid will go to steering reservoir not to transmission case.

  12. #12tctractors2025-05-13 15:04

    What Komatsu is it you have????