Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking at used Case & JD dozers

akroadrunner ยท 2013-10-22 17:29

I've tested and looked at several already, from a 1966 350 on up. I have determined that I need to stay away from the dry clutches. Ran a 450B Case yesterday and nearly ran it through the guys hanger cause the brakes were dead. Looked at a JD 450C that had problems with the winch brake not releasing and the alternator doesn't work. Otherwise was a good solid machine with 1900 hours on it. He was asking 18k.This weekend I will look at a 450C that has a broken track adjuster. Going later today to look at a 91 Case 550 long track with about 3400 hours on it. Looks pretty clean. Same guy has a 450 (1978) with new under carriage. He's asking 21k for the 550 and 16k for the 450. Get me 'knowed up' fellows. Tell me what I should be looking out for, and what I should avoid. I know about the tranny cases breaking on the early 450s.

Replies1
  1. #1akroadrunner2013-10-23 01:15

    Ran the 550 long track today. Machine is really clean. Under carriage looks new. Still have the JD 450C to look at over the weekend, and now have 2 more 550 Case dozers to look at. 1 in Anchorage, a 96, and a 91 in Palmer. Both around 3000 hours and good under carriages according to the sellers. I'm thinking I'll be able to tell you which one I bought next week. It would be a no brainer if any of them were equipped with the Forestry package. All 3 550's have sweeps which is good since I will be in the trees with it.