Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking at used excavators makes my head spin……

HollerDweller ยท 2019-09-30 17:55

So my Dad and I have been considering purchasing a used excavator. We are not in a hurry. The real problem we have is figuring out the right size for my property. I have 101 acres in East Ky that is mostly steep with some bottom land. It is 90% wooded. The front of the property is developed with about 7 acres flat. I have a fabrication shop and my parent's home there. My family lives up the "mountain" in an off grid cabin. It is one mile up an old coal mine road from the front of the property. My property is nearly fully accessible via the main coal road and multiple logging roads throughout. Some of them have been washed out by erosion or have been cut off by land slides. The main coal road that we use to access my cabin is about 8ft wide and goes along side of the mountain. It is ditched on the inside most of the way, but most of the ditches are not functioning due to needing cleaned out or repaired. There is also a "holler" or hollow that needs to be cleaned up and water flow properly directed to prevent further erosion. I described my property so all of you can have a better understanding of where Im using the equipment. Also how I will be using it. I have been a lurker on this forum for many years. I have enjoyed the advice received from many searches. I have read that like a dozer, many recommend the largest excavator you can afford/use. I dont necessarily want a large excavator that is going to be a nightmare to work on. My budget is probably about $20k-$25k. I have been looking at machines in the 7.5-10 ton range. I would like to get into a machine closer to 12.5t, but I am worried that it would be too large to get around in some of the tight areas on my property. Transporting it is not a concern just yet as I have plenty of work on my property for it. If I need it moved I will hire it out. I would really like a back fill blade and a thumb(hydraulic or manual not sure). I have two 4wd tractors with loaders. One is currently down for repairs and the loader is about done for. I have a heavy box blade that I use alot. I hire my neighbor with a 450 Case dozer when I need road grading and such. I feel I would get more use out of an excavator. I have rented a backhoe in the past, but a backhoe is near useless on 90% of the property. Some projects I need to do: Clean out and repair over a miles worth of ditches and installing culverts and swales Excavate site for a larger home that will be bermed into a hillside Dig up to two or more ponds. One maybe 1.5 acres at the largest. A long term project. More ditching and diverting mountain run off Opening up and repairing over 5 miles of logging roads Building multiple rental cabin sites when access is created Cutting new roads Digging out hillsides to make more usable space and gain fill Reroute and enlarge a large runoff stream to prevent flooding Septic installations and trenching Lifting things Clearing up to about 10 acres. Includes trees up to 12". Some grading. Doing projects for neighbors. Some models of excavators Ive looked at and liked: Komatsu pc78,pc90,pc100,pc128 Deere E70d,190d,490d/e Hitachi EX60,100 Takeuchi tb175 Really not sure how small is too small for what I need. Hopefully I can get some good insight. I also need something that is easy to get parts for as I do all my own wrenching.

Replies4
  1. #1Delmer2019-09-30 22:01

    The pond and the clearing are asking for a big machine, maybe contact this guy and see if he'll deliver? HeavyEquipmentForums None of these excavators will move dirt any distance efficiently. You might look into an off road (used and not roadworthy) dump truck, or dump trailer for the tractor for the building sites and ponds. I'd stick to the bigger end of your range, better value, and you'll learn to use it in tight spots. You'll never learn to make a small machine do the work of a bigger one. I wouldn't worry too much about parts, it's not like it will be on a job and a major problem if you have to wait a week for parts to come in the mail.

  2. #2HollerDweller2019-10-01 08:59

    Delmer, thank you for your advice. I do like the idea of a larger machine. How close can a 12.5t machine work to itself in a tight stretch of road with a rock wall on one side and a cliff on the other? I know they all have various boom and stick lengths. How do I determine what an ideal length would be? Is a 12.5t machine large enough? I am considering buying an older single axle dump to accompany a track hoe. But it will be difficult moving it anywhere on my property when it is not dry. As for clearing, the trees are very shallow rooted. The ground has been back filled with slate with very little top soil if any. The trees in this type of ground seem push over easy with a small dozer or back hoe. I just cant get a backhoe anywhere and a dozer isnt as versatile. On the pond job the ground is pretty soft and in a low area. If it takes a long time to do thats okay. I would have to do some serious excavation just to get a large machine on my property anyway. Not to mention all the rock I would have to bring in just to get it to the pond sites. Im not a 30yr old with a bunch of money and nothing better to do. Though I might have a 50t boulder or two laying around lol

  3. #3DMiller2019-10-01 09:13

    If looking to move material as dig material and keep the distances down use a Loader, either tracked or rubber tired, couple yard bucket size in the 951/955 Cats, 550G or larger Deere's, stick with something mid 80s or newer as parts still in quantity used and new or reman. Cat Case and Deere all made pretty decent medium size articulated loaders. Can get them large enough to push trees then if 4/1 loader bucket equipped use them as grapples to move the trees after down. Small 5-7 yard dump truck would be handy.

  4. #4ACBJohn2019-10-03 14:46

    I just completed a 1000 ft driveway across the side of a hill to our new home. I have a 15T 205LC machine, Ford 9000 single axle and an antique IH 500 dozer. The truck has a Cummins big cam II and tire chains. The completed driveway is a 10% grade (best I could do). It started at 20%. I've never had the truck stuck with chains on...and it's for sale!!! CHEAP!