Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

looking for a 12 ton tag trailer

shadow2 ยท 2014-04-22 21:21

looking at a 12 ton tag trailer with air breaks. what brands who you recommend. how do tag trailers react on hill when loading them.

Replies27
  1. #1shadow22014-05-14 15:46

    looking at the 25 ton tag to tow all the mechine the 12 ton is to colse in coast and lenght to the 25 ton to make it worth it. from there i dont know what type of trailer tilt vs non tilt mechine that i will be hauling are, lulls up to 15 tons, excervator from 2-20 tons, skid steer at 5tons, wheel loder 908 928it, ?dozer in a year? track loader at 4 12tons pulling the trailer with a tandom axle t800 dump truck 485hp 1750ftlb alsion 4700. the hitch i was going to spec a 1in plate and a 50 ton hitch. truck is not built yet so chages can be made

  2. #21466IH2014-05-14 17:22

    trailers are personal preference. most tilt trailers axels are so far foreward it is hard to get bigger loads distributed evenly and i dont know how many i have seen with bent decks from having too mich weight on the tail of the trailer. i have one for sale now though that is built like a ramp type trailer so the axels are at the back of the trailler and it has a beaver tail so it is not as steep. here is a link to my craigslist ad. i dont know if the still make trailers this way but i really like the design i just need something bigger http://stlouis.craigslist.org/hvo/4449707403.html

  3. #3pafarmer2014-05-14 20:06

    I just bought a brand new Towmaster tilt and its a super nice trailer. Quality axles, very well built trailer. The tilt is awesome for loafing and unloading. I looked at every manufacturer and personally speaking I felt the Towmaster tilt was far superior in build quality, price and warranty. Chevk them out. I absolutely love mine. Best trailer I have owned for moving 30 ton and under in my humble opinion. Good luck in your search and let us know what you end up with

  4. #4shadow22014-05-19 21:34

    getting a 25 ton bws art painted green to match truck. 8 ton skid steer trailer towmaster

  5. #5pafarmer2014-05-20 04:32

    We use globe or Hudson.....not painted to match anything..

  6. #6ctkiteboarding2014-05-23 21:10

    what they get ya for in a new art?

  7. #7shadow22014-07-06 13:51

    can u tow a 25 ton trailer with a single axle truck the axles all work and give you 8000lbs extra capacity

  8. #8mitch5042014-07-07 00:19

    Yes, a heavy spec one, at least

  9. #9stumpjumper832014-07-07 06:14

    I pull a towmaster tk 40 with a ford f-800 single axle. Don't want to get above 50k pounds with it, total weight. But its good on fuel and I've had way less tire problems since I got away from both a tri axle eager beaver and a 14k tilt top. I'm actually looking to sell the tk40 and pick up a 18- 24k tandem axle goose neck for my pickup, cause my business has changed.

  10. #10shadow22014-09-03 19:33

    is a 3/4in thick tow plate and a 45 ton hitch good for the 25 ton trailer and a 1/2 plate with a 15 ton hitch for the 8 ton skid steer trailer for the 315 would 5/8 grade 70 chain be big enough and 3/8 on the boom for the 8 ton trailer would 1/4 grade 70 chain be strong enough

  11. #11mitch5042014-09-03 22:52

    The hitch specs sound fine, as long as they are mounted and braced properly. For a 315 four 3/8 grade 70 chains would be sufficient, as they have a Safe Working Load of 6600 lbs each, and they just have to add up to 1/2 the weight of the machine. Thus they are legal for up to a 52800 lb machine. http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/cargo-securement/drivers-handbook-cargo-securement I have never seen anything larger than 1/2 chain used for tiedowns, because it is hard to work with. If you are tying down a machine larger than 73,000 lbs, you usually use more chains, or higher grade than 70. I don't know the SWL of 1/4 G 70 chain, but I don't personally buy anything smaller than 3/8 G70, because if it's there, somebody will use it to tiedown the 315, or try to pull a loaded truck out with it.

  12. #12shadow22014-09-07 12:57

    bought a tow master 16d drop deck trailer have to put angle iron on to the side of the trailer so the buckets and harly rake has a platform to sit on. can i blot it i don't want to repaint the trailer do bolt on d rings work

  13. #13shadow22014-09-11 06:00

    Photo of the 25 ton trailer

  14. #14ctkiteboarding2014-09-11 06:14

    Love the strap...

  15. #15shadow22014-09-11 06:15

    38k

  16. #16ctkiteboarding2014-09-11 06:47

    Your going to love it ... One if the best trailers and a bad ass lift design , good luck

  17. #17shadow22014-09-11 18:40

    more shots

  18. #18shadow22014-09-11 18:42

    more shots

  19. #19mitch5042014-09-11 18:51

    Wow! that is nice!

  20. #20shadow22014-09-14 08:14

    has any body use a lube trailer looking at thunder creek or any other brands i have 25 pieces of equipment to take care of

  21. #21shadow22019-07-27 19:07

    i just punch though the trailer deck today all the boards are rotten at the end and bws us 8 foot boards at the longest. looking at oak or apitong to replace doing the longest length possible. is it worth it to stain the deck and paint the ends to help with rot. bws though bots with a large washer to hold boards in place can i go to self tapping screws instead were in ct can i get the whole trailer painted

  22. #22Tags2019-07-27 21:34

    Trailer decking sucks. I can't seem to get good oak that lasts too long, or maybe I do and just forget how long it's been since I changed it, cause it always seems miserable to do....send me a private message, I know a place that can paint your trailer.....

  23. #23suladas2019-07-28 23:55

    I have a bws also, I am thinking there is a reason they don't use self tappers into the cross members, probably to prevent rust? Or maybe just too difficult to drill through? I've just been patching mine together, couldn't be bothered to spend the time or money to fix it as it only hauls my 210 hoe so I don't really care about the deck.

  24. #24DMiller2019-08-24 13:48

    Apitong does NOT like wet, if can find it look for Cottonwood. Have had all the snide remarks but can state flatly is the longest lived I have ever put on a trailer. That or Cypress.

  25. #25Geodrill2019-10-22 11:56

    Shawow 2 - Do you still like your BWS trailer? Is the deck oak? Their site list 1-3/4" hardwood.

  26. #26suladas2019-10-24 23:45

    Can't comment on the decking used, but I love my BWS trailer have absolutely no complaints. They are by far the most common heavy tag here and also quite a few 5th wheels too. Well built, really wide ramps, so easy to load with tilt, beavertail, and ramps. From the looks of it I think my 2012 is still original deck, weathered but still in decent shape other then a few holes that are my fault.

  27. #27Geodrill2019-10-25 11:45

    Suladas, Thanks for the info. They are not very common here in the south. I can tell they are pretty popular in Canada and our northern states such as minnesota, wisconsin etc. Looks like they have been in the business a long time and in the logging heavy trailer side of things at that.