Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

looking for a Case backhoe

n175h ยท 2010-01-27 22:14

Hi folks, I'm a newbie and have searched hours through the archives and decided a Case 580 is what I need. I've found two. The first one is a 580d and the seller's wife responded to two emails as follows: My husband is asking $14,500.00 it is a extend a hoe and has a fork lift attachment, a 24" bucket and a 12" it's a good solid machine. I am sending a picture. David , I will try and answer most of your questions. I think it is a 1984,580D He is the second owner It has new rubber he had the injector pump overhauled. and has replaced a few hoses, It has no leaks. He has no maintenance guide or schedule the hour Gage is broken.He use it some on construction, but not daily, It has never been leased . We don't let anyone use it or drive it but my husband and my self. In the construction business we use it to lift shingles and plywood up on the roof. It was not used on any plumping. We have use it around the house digging a ditch or two.and on the farm . we had a track loader but sold that, I myself have always run heavy equiptment. and drove the haul truck. My reason for telling you this, is because I don't want you to think Me being a woman wouldn't know what I was doing on a back hoe. We just don't have that much use for it anymore. If there is aynmore questions that I can answer let me know....... The second one is a 580c and the seller hasn't responded. I have the description on the attached picture. You have to click on the word document "backhoe2.doc" to open the pictue. Both seem a bit high to me. What should my next line of strategy in pressing on with a bit of due dilligence? Thanks, David

Replies45
  1. #1cat3202010-01-27 22:40

    well i would look on www.machinerytrader.com for pricing on the machine the 580D and C where basicly the same type of machine not much of a differrence . but out of the two i would go with the D because it had a cab e-how . the buckets you can get but i would try to get them down around 10K . I had a C very heavy soldif machine

  2. #2NHGus2010-01-27 22:47

    I've been shopping backhoes lately as well, $14500 for an 84 580D 2wd with X-hoe seems pretty steep, I've found similarly equiped 4x4 580s going for that much, If you can get them down a couple grand then maybe.

  3. #3Phil2010-01-28 07:00

    I think you've got some very good advice there. Probably priced right 3 years ago, but not now, it's a buyers market where you are, good time to shop around and get your hoe now. The K models are getting older and continuing to depreciate. As 4x4's become more plentiful, many more are asking for them and so when you decide to sell someday, you want something that everybody wants. As nice a machine that the D is, it still has the Case 207 diesel. Phil

  4. #4Tinkerer2010-01-28 07:53

    If anyone needs a program to open n175h's .doc file I would recommend Open Office.org. It is a FREE program and is capable of doing many things. It will do most anything Microsoft Home and Office can.

  5. #5n175h2010-01-28 13:55

    Sorry about the doc.file. It is the only way I could get the picture to load. I haven't made an offer, because I've only been looking for about 10 days. No hurry here. You're right about prices. If you check areas where the unemployment is bad, California, Ohio, Mich, similar models are under $10k, but in Texas everyone is really proud of there stuff and I've seen some hoes on craigslist get removed before expiration, which usually means they got sold, but who knows what price they got. I did check machinery trader for Texas backhoes and found this one: http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=7140983 It looks pretty rusty. I haven't inquired, but it is 4 wheel drive with a clamshell bucket. Even this one is 300 miles away near Dallas, so it would be about $7-9 hundred to get her home and I have to pay 8.25% sales tax from a dealer. David

  6. #6n175h2010-01-28 14:30

    I can't remember, but according to this: http://www.agkits.com/case-engine-model.aspx the cummins engine change was with the E models, right? Is going with the D model a disadvantage as far as parts availability? There seem to be a lot of B's, C's, and D's still out there. David

  7. #7John White2010-01-28 16:01

    If the K is in decent shape, go with the 4 wheel drive and clam shell bucket, , even if it is a little more. You wont regret it. I made the mistake of not buying a 4 wheel drive for my first back hoe, figured I would never need it or could live without it. Thought it would be just something else to go wrong. Didnt keep it too long till I got a 4-wheel drive. Never gegretted getting it. And the clam shell bucket is a real plus, if doint any brush removal or land clearing.

  8. #8Phil2010-01-28 19:34

    You would have to pay 13% from a dealer up here. Everything starting in July will be taxed 13%, even gasoline which is already 70% tax, also insurance, lawyers fees, and undertaking. I agree, if you can pay a little more and get a K with 4 wheel drive, very nice machine. Try and get the one with the big transmission. Up here many K's are rusty, really rusty, big holes in the fenders, bottom of the doors missing, floors completely gone. Yes the E had the Cummins engine. It's rare to get the D model with one, dealers had to make many changes to convert a D to the Cummins. Not a problem getting parts for the D model, except for the engine block, same with earlier models. Phil

  9. #9n175h2010-01-28 20:39

    Thanks for the reply. Compared to some other K models I've seen on Equipment trader, Machine trader, etc. the one in the link I listed above seems cheap. There must be something big wrong with it. How do I identify the one with the big transmission??? Thanks, David

  10. #10Phil2010-01-29 06:25

    If the gearshift is on the dash, I believe it has the newer transaxle. Also a quick look underneath, or check the serial #. I'm really not familiar with the K model. Several on here work on these all the time and know all the differences between the Series 1,2,and 3, 580K models. A friend of mine sells alot of K parts and he told me he gets $4000 for each good bare transaxle casting he can find, from the early 580K. He said they can crack under the pinion gear bearing, resulting in rapid crown and pinion failure. Phil

  11. #11cat9802010-01-29 06:37

    That 580k is a beautiful machine there no rust on the cab or anything i would shoot twards getting the K. I HAve a super E and never had any major problems so you might want to look at 580Es to.

  12. #12Phil2010-01-30 06:55

    Yes I agree, even with a few design flaws, the K is a great machine. I have talked to many owner operators who still regard the 580E as one of the best machines they ever had. Phil

  13. #13n175h2010-01-30 10:32

    I watched the Iron Planet auction yesterday. That is the place to sell. Wow, some of those hoes went for high $$$. With 11000 bidders, I guess one could get worked up to a frenzy. A 1999 Case 580L 2wd with unknown hours went for 19.5k. A 1998 580L 2wd with 6432 hours-$17.5k. I didn't see any bargains there. Maybe the 580D in the picture above would be a great buy at 12.5K. I wonder if she would drop $2000 off that price? David

  14. #14n175h2010-01-30 12:55

    Can you tell anything about the gearshift from the cockpit picture? http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=7140983 I emailed the salesman Thursday for the serial number and he hasn't returned a call or anything. Really gripes me when I'm trying to buy something and they don't give you infromation. :Banghead:Banghead I've had a lot better corrospondence from craigslist ads. David

  15. #15Phil2010-01-30 20:01

    Yes I think it has the big transaxle, it appears all SK's have it, by looking on CNH. As long as a K is over serial #JJG 20000, it would be that way too. I really don't know much about the 580K, although I have one just like in the picture. They do get cracks in the frame by the rear motor mount, also up higher near the fuel and hydraulic oil fill points. Did you notice the plate welded on the loader arms near the pivot point? Phil

  16. #16n175h2010-01-30 21:30

    No I didn't. Thank you for you keen observation. I found a 580D 2wd regular hoe that belongs to a small plumbing co. He has owned it for 4.5 years, has 4900hrs. He claims no leaks, minimimal pivot slop, but it has an exhaust manifold crack. One of his guys backed a truck and stabbed a ladder into it, and he said the brakes are getting sticky. He is selling because his work is mostly repair and very little new construction. Price is $8000 obo. The price sounds pretty good compared to what I have been seeing. What do you guys think? Oh, and how much is a manifold? Seems like I remember reading a post someone paid about $250 for one. Check the picture. It is anothe doc.file. Just click on it to open. It takes a few seconds to load. Thanks, David

  17. #17Phil2010-01-31 06:06

    Can't seem to open that picture, but I get my old computer back later today. Sure is a very reasonable price. Tach cables break often on these so don't go by the hour meter. Brakes often need work, not because they don't last long but because people just don't bother fixing them unless they have too. Sometimes the left or right brake will get sticky from a slight amount of oil leakage. If they grab or lock-up it may need adjusting. If both sides work then the master and slave cylinders are working so there is a few dollars saved. If the lining kits are purchased and you have them riveted on, there is a cost saving there too. Several sell replacement parts, aren't you glad your are looking at a Case? http://www.collins-services.com/catalog.html Let us know if you are going to try it out. Phil

  18. #18drifter590sl2010-01-31 14:51

    580 well said. great machines other rise:drinkup...i had a 91 590 same cracks.lol

  19. #19diggerdave19582010-01-31 18:43

    If i where u i would be looking for a 580SE u should be able to find a pretty good machine for the same price with 4x4 and they have the Cummins in them and in the next couple week there are going to be a lot of auctions in Florida, Yoder & Frey, Richie Bros, Alex Lyons and you might want to see what the machines go for there ??

  20. #20handtpipeline2010-01-31 20:07

    This is my opinion of the various Case Backhoes. Over the years, we had (all 580's) all purchased brand new. 5 B's, 3 C's, 2 D's, 5 E's, 3 K's, 1 Super K, 1 Super L, and now have an M and a Super M. I learned on the B's, by todays standard I'd call them light, and somewhat clumsy, but they were good, reliable machines. The C's were junk. They were weak from day one, Case could never get them right, and our own mechanic worked on them from the day they were new in 1978 until we traded them on E's in 1984. They just didn't have near the power of the B's (hydraulic power). We kept 3 of the B's long after we traded the C's off. The C's were so bad, that the operators prefered the B's over them. the D's were good solid machines. The E's were great. They were basically the same machine as the D, except being upgraded to the Cummins motor. The biggest problem we had with the E's was keeping them from getting stolen. We did have one rear end shell out on an E, I think the parts to fix it were about $2400 and that was in 1990. The first series of the K wasn't nothing to write home about in my opinion, I prefered the older E's to the first K we had. We had a lot of problems with the backhoe control levers sticking on the first one, and also brakes sticking. The 2nd series of the K was a much better machine, they had ironed the original problems out by then. The Super K was a great machine, I still had it (it was a '93 model I believe) until it was stolen last fall. My Super L was a '95 model, cab with air, and it was an outstanding machine. It was 2 wheel drive, but in dry material would push like a small dozer. And would dig rock the Super K wouldn't think of digging. I just traded it on the Super M a few months ago. Now the 2 we have now, a 580 M, 4x4 open ROPS Extendahoe. I'm not impressed with it. I think since Case quit making the 480, they downsized the regular L and M to take the place of the 480. It's noticably lighter than the super models, and you can tell the backhoe boom is much lighter made. Doesn't have much swing power, most noticably trying to swing uphill on a slope. It won't want to swing, then will take off swinging all at once. You might get it to stop before you hit something, or you might not. Then the Super M... I love this machine. It is 4x4, cab with air, ride control, pilot controls and extendahoe. It's got way more pushing power than the M, and the backhoe is just as quick and powerful as the Super L, but much smoother with the pilot controls. (probably because I run an excavator most of the time). I know that was kinda long winded, but just thought I'd share my personal experiences with the various models of Case machines. I've also ran JCB, CAT, DEERE, KOMATSU and TEREX backhoes of other peoples, or rentals. I still prefer the Case machines myself.

  21. #21Tinkerer2010-01-31 20:46

    For anyone that cannot open a .doc file,here is n175h's picture converted into a .pdf format. Hope it helps ! Also here is a link to an excellent FREE .pdf viewer for those who need a program for .pdf files. http://www.foxitsoftware.com/

  22. #22Phil2010-02-01 05:34

    Just to jump back a post, I enjoyed the write-up by handtpipeline:drinkup, and I'm sure many others will too. Phil

  23. #23n175h2010-02-01 20:44

    I think I found the one. The owner told me one of the brakes is locked and cannot move the tractor but in a circle, so with that I can't get it on the trailer to be hauled. What can I do to release the brake? Is there a cover on the case I can open to release the brake shoes? It is the 580D model. I want to meet him tomorrow in Houston to try it out. If the rest is ok, I'm gonna buy it, hire a hauler to bring it home. My hauler said he would drive it on the trailer. which will be Wednesday. I won't be there on Wed. so I have to make sure its driveable before I leave on Tues. Help. David

  24. #24Phil2010-02-01 21:45

    Hopefully only a brake problem, likely it is. I haven't had a lot of experience on brakes, but I think the first thing I would do is unpin the brake pedals so they apply separately, and you won't reapply it if it 'unsticks'. Back the machine up and see if it releases. Maybe pushing on the locked brake pedal might help, while reversing. The slave cylinder might be holding the brake on. But I think the adjustment may be out, allowing the rollers to go to far. Yes the cover can be removed with the brake assembly locked inside, I think. If you leave the cover off, wire it up, and replace the bolts with shorter ones, I'm guessing 1/2"NC x 1"long(quantity-4), to hold the inner plate(bearing holder) secure, before moving the machine. If it were my machine I'd be tempted to very carefully engage the diff lock and back-up just a little at low throttle. Make sure the diff lock disengages before turning the machine; again, I'd only do this on my own unit. Phil

  25. #25n175h2010-02-01 21:52

    Too late, I called the guy back and he sold it for $6900 five minutes after I hung up. I told him I wanted to get an idea how to release the brake before I drove to Houston. That's the nature of a Craigslist ad. Show the money or you're out. Back to the search The lady with the Extenda hoe wouldn't take less than 14k, so that one is out, too. Bummer, David

  26. #26Tinkerer2010-02-01 21:53

    If the backhoe will raise the rear wheels off of the ground it shouldn't be any problem to load the machine onto a trailer. Even with a locked brake. Unless the owner of the trailer objects to loading it that way. If it were me I would be sure to put wood blocking under the rear of the trailer. Unless it is a semi-trailer.

  27. #27handtpipeline2010-02-01 21:58

    Be sure and let you hauler know if you dis-able one of the brakes. Halfway on or off a trailer is a bad time to find out the brakes only work on one side. That's why I NEVER lock the brake pedals together, force of habit from the older machines. We'd have operators that had a habit of using one brake more than the other (usually the right pedal for some reason or another) so the brakes would get worn more on that side. That made the brakes apply un-even pedal travel wise. So if you had the pedals locked together, the left brake would apply before the right one would...You can turn a backhoe sideways real quick on trailer ramps or roading down the road in that situation. I have big, wide feet, so I always just place my foot where it catches both pedals, and if they're not real far out of adjustment, I can just tilt my foot sideways a bit to apply even pressure to both pedals. It sounds more complicated than it is really.

  28. #28n175h2010-02-02 09:57

    Thanks for the heads up. Maybe this was a Godsend. When the seller told me about the brakes I said I would talk to a mechanic and WE (that's you guys):tong would try to figure a way to override them. I think he thought a wrench would come with me to inspect the hoe. Perhaps he didn't like that, because I told him I'd be in Houston today. If I hadn't called him back I'd be half way there by now with the money in hand. Boy, I would be mad, a 200 mile one way trip for nothing. After thinking about it there may have been something big wrong with the unit. Anyway, I need to approach this due dilligence differently. I think I'll go to a dealer and get with a salesman and let him show me what he has. This way I'll get some demos, learn more about the machine, and listen to him badmouth other brands. I suspect I'll get a pretty good education, right? At this point in the game I'm too green to know what I'm doing. I think I got into too much of a hurry. I've learned a lot from this forum, but have no hands on experience. In the meanwhile, I'll keep reading and asking questions, so please bear with me. This thread will keep going back to the top for a while. :usa David

  29. #29Phil2010-02-03 05:43

    Something about that situation seemed a little strange. Take your time and look around. Every time you look at a hoe and try one out, you will learn more. Keep us posted. Phil

  30. #30John White2010-02-03 18:32

    Handipipeline: You just gave out a wealth of information that could not be bought at any price. Nothing beats hearing from some one with experience.

  31. #31handtpipeline2010-02-03 21:43

    As I previously stated, I prefer the Case machines, and i'll tell a little bit about why. The only JCB i've ever been on is a late 80's, very early 90's model. I think it's a 1400b or something like that. It was a county machine before the guy that owns it now bought it, and was well worn. This is a guy that we sub-contract utility jobs from, he does mainly dirt work. Anyway, he didn't have anyone that had ran a backhoe before, but he'd have it on his job to use mainly as a loader. A couple of times, instead of hauling one of my machines in, I'd just use it. It was worn out, slop at every pin and bushing. Seemed pretty strong, but slow. And I didn't think it was balanced good at all. Just too bulky. Another friend that is also a utility contractor has Cat backhoes. I havn't run them much, just when helping him out a little here and there. I don't care for the bent boom. I'm used to them on an excavator, but havn't run a backhoe with one enough to get used to it. The hydraulics seem slow on them to me, and one day I traded the Case M to him for half a day for one of his Cats, to use the forks on the Cat IT front end. When I brought it back, he was impressed with the speed and power of the Case when digging. That was compared to his 426 Cat ( I think it's about a 2000-2002 model) We had a 310SE Deere for a few years, bought it used, sight unseen with a truck, 2 trailers and a dozer. Wish we would have seen it first. It had pretty good power, was pretty quick, but was WORN OUT. It was a 4x4 extendahoe. Not balanced quite as good as the case, but not too bad. I ran a rented 310 SG out of state one time, and actually liked it. It was pretty new, cab, 4x4 and extendahoe. The guy that has the JCB also has a Komatsu WB140 now. Cab, 4x4 and extendahoe. I've ran it some, and it is SLOW. our worn out 310 SE would out dig it. Seems plenty powerful, but is REALLY SLOW. Balance on it isn't bad, but like the JCB, I thought it was too bulky too. We tried a WB146 last year, it had cab, 4x4 and pilot controls. it was much faster than the WB140, I could even out dig our Case 580M with it. As long as I didn't push myself too far forward each time I moved. Back to the bent boom thing. We were digging 5' deep trench. Still too bulky, and when loading it on the lowboy, I'd have to swing the backhoe all the way to one side to keep the bottom of the swing tower from hanging up on the ground. I do like the huge loader buckets the Komatsu's have on them though, and they handle a full bucket well. And the Terex. My opinion, they should stick with Scrapers and Arctic Trucks. We have a friend that has one, I think it's a 2003 model. It is big, bulky, top heavy and slow. It'll push like a Dozer, but that's the only strong point I've seen. Like I said, this is all just my opinion. All based on the specific machines that i've operated. I don't have a lot of experience on any of them, except the Deere that we had for a while.

  32. #32n175h2010-02-04 13:37

    I talked with a local Case dealer salesman today. My preference was an E model, but he said those are rare to get on a trade. Most usually keep them as a backup and such. He said my best bet is a K model, but business is so slow no one is trading in anything. He expects some Cats from a municipality soon, but that is it. I agreed with him that business is slow, but I also said Iron Planet has a lot of stuff being sold, most of it newer. His take was that many companies are flat out failing and liquidating their stuff. Hmmm, could be a valid point. He has many calls from Mexico and South America. They will buy any used piece they can find. Look at Iron Planet's auction results and see lots of Mexico buyers. Sheesh, why not when Congress keeps printing dollars devaluing our currency against foreign money. Our stuff is now a bargain. I also told him that I've found the most E's and D's available for sale in California. He said it is because commercial operators can't meet emission standards with CARB, the state's enforcement agency. Makes sense. So, I'm still looking. Maybe I should consider a K. The salesman said he gets K's in from time to time and could sell a 4x4 for around 14,000. I really like those old E's though. David

  33. #33cat3202010-02-04 19:50

    well if i had to get a K it would not be the first few models years.

  34. #34n175h2010-02-05 17:36

    Well I missed another one. They sold it yesterday and the full asking price. David 2000 CASE BACKHOE - $18500 (Wickenburg) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: 2010-01-23, 5:50PM MST Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?] -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 2000 Case580 SL extenda hoe, 4 x 4, low hours used for work around ranch in Wickenburg, Excellent shape but does need tires. call 602-448-1779 or leave message with 602-397-0276. Location: Wickenburg it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

  35. #35n175h2010-02-06 13:57

    I have a chance to buy this one. Here are the specs. What do you guys think? 2006 Manufacturer CASE Model 580SM II Price $21,750 Serial Number N6C411014 Condition Used Hours 1,522 Horse Power 90 Drive 4WD General Information CAB W/AIR, TILT STEERING, STEREO, 2 LEVER CONTROLS, E-HOE, 24 IN REAR BUCKET, RIDE CONTROL, AUX HYD.

  36. #36diggerdave19582010-02-06 14:23

    Not bad at all nice machine, its seem to have all the good bells and whisles, but see if u can get them down a couple grand, or see if they will give u a 18" bucket and a ditching bucket??? Good luck, and hope u get it.

  37. #37cgraham12010-02-06 18:49

    I'd say that's a hell of a deal for a 2006 Super M! I'd offer full price before someone else buys it.

  38. #38handtpipeline2010-02-06 20:42

    I just gave $56,000 for one a year newer (2007). Only difference is it has pilot controls, and just had 180 hours on it. If it's a legit deal, I'd say jump on it.

  39. #39thirdcoaster2010-02-06 23:23

    I think that is a good buy. If it's not a local machine, see if the seller will hold the machine with a deposit until you can inspect it or have it inspected. I have a Series 3, 2008 model and love it. I just went through the process of buying a dozer & great deals do pop up, but they sell quick. Jump quick, but know where you're landing! Good luck.

  40. #40n175h2010-02-07 15:51

    I'm too late again. It sold Friday at the asking price. The seller hasn't got it pulled from the internet yet. David

  41. #41darinray2010-02-07 17:02

    David where was that advertised at?

  42. #42n175h2010-02-07 18:03

    I can't find it now. I've got the guy's phone number, though.

  43. #43cgraham12010-02-07 18:23

    Oh, well! Maybe you'll get the next one!

  44. #44cat3202010-02-07 21:38

    wow that was a good deal has everything i would want and low hours on it.

  45. #45thirdcoaster2010-02-07 22:33

    If you are searching Machinery Trader, I found a way to search that eventually landed me a good deal on a dozer (after missing several). In the detailed search fields, input your criteria for make, model, price, year, or whatever filters you want to narrow the search to. Toward the end of the page, you can limit the search to ads placed within "XX" number days. Every morning, do the same search with a "1" in the number of days field. When a good deal pops up, get on the phone. Many of the advertisers on MT do not monitor their e-mails closely, so I would only e-mail as a secondary contact method. Once a machine is located, it's just a matter of inspecting the machine and sending funds. I hope this helps. BTW, I'm in S. Texas, and prices "up north" are much cheaper than at home.