Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

looking for a dump truck. is this one a good deal?

92b16si ยท 2010-01-16 11:02

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/1553277793.html he says it's got a cummins motor. this is going to be my first truck, I will be using it to haul fertilizier . will have to take on some long uphills, not to drastic.

Replies43
  1. #1prfire202010-01-16 11:08

    kw is always a good choice i do belive they quit making sterling trucks so i imagine like fords eventually finding cab parts will become a challange

  2. #2Muffler Bearing2010-01-16 11:12

    you get the simplicity of no computer, and KW's are great trucks, wonder if it's always been a dump or it it's a converted tractor. Funny none of the pics show the drivers side, if it has another big fuel tank on that side I'd guess it is a convert. Looks sharp, wonder what suspension it has?

  3. #3tonka2010-01-16 11:33

    Also try www.truckpaper.com you can put in you zip code and find trucks close to you.

  4. #490plow2010-01-16 11:33

    If its a conversion from a tractor you should watch the suspension they tend to be very tippy around corners.

  5. #5tonka2010-01-16 11:39

    it prob is an old road tractor

  6. #6Oldiron2010-01-16 13:58

    The T600 is almost alway an old road tractor, If that truck has KW 8 bag suspension it will be very tippy with a tall body that suspension (KW8 BAG) is terrible offroad poor traction etc . But if beeing tippy isn't an issue (you dump air suspension to tip the box) and you don't spend much time offroad they do ride very well . I would check truckpaper for price comparisons that seems kind of high to me :drinkup

  7. #7Willis Bushogin2010-01-16 20:14

    dump truck Looks like a nice truck, Im a KW person, but I buy what I can get a deal on. This looks like a converted road tractor, if it was done right they are OK, but you need to get it at a good price, because when you sell it, you will not get top dollar for it. I dont like dump trucks with air ride, they are scary. There are a lot of repo trucks out there now, I just bought one and you will haggle with them, you can get a good deal. I just saw a 2000 Sterling triaxle, with a Cat 3306 $11,000 Make sure its double frame chassis and not air ride, if youre going off highway the air ride will cause you to mess your pants up, but they do ride good, except going around curves Let us know what he wants for the truck, it should be around $10,000

  8. #82109 Stang2010-01-17 02:08

    To my knowledge T600 never made dump trucks ,they did make some day cab tractors ,make sure is double framed ,and the air ride if done right will be no problem ,except little traction on wet mud ,but you should have power divider to help with that ,resale will be low, so like Willis said make sure you get a good deal ,that cummins is a great engine ,it's got a computer or electronic box for the fuel pump ,but can be removed fairly easy ,very powerful for a 365 hp all this is assuming the motor is in good shape .

  9. #9tootalltimmy2010-01-17 14:26

    Looking at Washington state Craigslist there is an 89 T600 almost identical to the one above for $23,000. An 86 W900 for $36,000. 1990 Western Star, needs tires for $22,500 These prices seem pretty high. I'm thinking - good luck to them!

  10. #10Willis Bushogin2010-01-17 16:09

    trucks Thats what Im thinking GOOD LUCK TO THEM There is no way a 86 anything (dump truck) is worth $36,000, even if it has a new $20,000 high lift bed on it, the truck is still a 86. I have a 86 Int tandem, that I just reworked and I dont want but $9000, I would ask $13,000 and get it if the ecomony was better. If you are looking for a good deal, look for International, Ford, Volvo, they tend to sell cheaper and they are good trucks Good Luck

  11. #1192b16si2010-01-18 10:10

    thanks guys, very helpful. it is a airbagged, and I will be needing it off road. so I guess I will keep looking, if you guys see anything out there please let me know. where can I find some repo deals?

  12. #1292b16si2010-01-18 23:54

    what do you guys think about this one? http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/big-trucks/find/listing/1995-INTERNATIONAL-EAGLE-96013605

  13. #132109 Stang2010-01-19 14:56

    That thing might dump but that ain't a dump truck by any means, that's fugly ,bed is abot 24" long ,and whe you raise it the tail end will hit the ground ,and back to a tractor with a bed on it I'm also sure is air ride ,just keep looking ,at least the other one looked like a dump truck.

  14. #1492b16si2010-01-19 19:35

    I actually like the long bed , but never thought about when i would raise it. I will be hauling fertilizer.

  15. #1592b16si2010-01-21 10:47

    hey guys it is me again. sorry to be such a pest, but how about this one? http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/1563099283.html

  16. #1692b16si2010-01-21 10:58

    i found this 90 kw with a cat 425 . is this a good motor? http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/big-trucks/find/listing/1990-Kenworth-T600-96364189

  17. #17CM19952010-01-21 12:58

    Here is a search from Truck Paper for tandem dumps, $10-15K with over 400HP. You may have stated it prior but what is your price range? Good hunting.

  18. #18Willis Bushogin2010-01-21 15:52

    dump truck This is a converted road tractor. It has air ride and partial cab fairings. This is not totally a bad truck (a converted road tractor) if its been done right. It needs to have a double frame chassis, or at least a heavy bed subframe. If it doesnt have either, you are going to be sorry. I really like KW trucks and would buy a converted road tractor, as long as it was done right, or I got it at a good price, where I could fix it right. This is not a bad price, but I wouldnt pay much more than this and it would have to be in good condition. As I stated before, make sure if you buy a air ride suspension, that you dump the air bags, before you lift the bed and try to dump on level ground, they will turn over faster than a factory dump. Check out any truck good before buying it, trucks are very costly to repair Good Luck

  19. #19Willis Bushogin2010-01-21 16:16

    International dump Im not real sure but this probably a Cat 3406 engine, they are good engines, if they are not worn out, very costly to rebuild. Im not sure but this looks like a converted road tractor also. Most (not all) factory dumps are 16ft beds. The 14ft beds limit you on the volume of material you can carry. Find out what kind of suspension it has. Its not a bad price, if everything is OK If its air ride, I would rather have the KW, for the price. Check any air ride you look at and make sure its a 8 bag system (4 bags on each back axle) make sure it has a leveling valve. A air ride suspension will scare you to death, in a curve, if its a 4 bag, its worst. They lean way over in a curve and have turned over in a curve on occasions, the bags could blow out on a bad curve and thats bad. Any air bag system, must be at the right height, too high is real bad. So you see the air ride takes some work. I know there are thousands of dump trucks out there working today, with not problems. I have one and it was a good truck, but the items I listed above are problems I had. It takes a attentive driver to drive these kind of trucks. They ride good on the highway, but they dont pull that great off road. I am comparing air ride to the Walker Beam suspension and the Walker Beam will always come out on top Keep looking and posting them, we will give you our 2 cents worth

  20. #2092b16si2010-01-21 17:57

    thanks you guys are very very helpful. my price range is 10k max.

  21. #21Willis Bushogin2010-01-21 18:04

    dump truck Take a look at the KW for $11,200, you might get it for your price. If its a good conversion its a good deal

  22. #22Oldiron2010-01-21 19:06

    WHAT anybody that I know that has a body truck with KW 8 bag hates it Hendricson leaf old neway and especially pete air trac work way better off road 8 bag rides like a dream on road though

  23. #2392b16si2010-01-29 00:05

    what do you guys think of this bad boy? http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/1574856890.html its no looker, but i Like the big dump.

  24. #2492b16si2010-02-02 17:13

    what do you guys think about this 92 peterbuilt? http://waco.craigslist.org/bar/1581433976.html

  25. #252stickbill2010-02-02 19:33

    Around here all the newer log trucks have air ride.Macks,KWs Petes etc.so they have to be good off road to ne logger went from Mack camel back to KW 8bag air.A lot of the new dump trailers have air ride.I know one thing You can change an air bag faster and cheaper than springs.

  26. #26Willis Bushogin2010-02-02 21:23

    dump Lots of info we dont have Price Engine what kind of spring suspension? Im thinking this is, a road tractor with a dump body and Reyco spring suspension. For me, and my work this is not a good suspension. If its Hendrickson spring suspension, it a good one, if the price is good. I still think Peterbilt trucks are over rated, I like my Fords, KW, Volvo If this truck is Reyco suspension and the truck is in great condition, in my area it would sell for about $7-$9,000, not very popular with a Reyco suspension One way I tell (most of the time) is look at the dash, if you see a red and yellow brake valve, most likely it was a road tractor at one time, or in some causes, someone added this red valve/knob for air brakes to a trailer Good Luck

  27. #27excavator222010-02-11 01:17

    92b16si, if you have long hills, unless you get an automatic, you need something with gears. I suggest 10 speed at the least, I had an '87 .mack 5 speed as my first truck and the truck got worn out Also, if you get something with 700,000 miles or up see if it has been given an overhaul, craigslist can be sketchy so be careful.

  28. #2892b16si2010-02-11 09:57

    yes we have very long hills, thanks. I am still looking but, all the decent ones go before I even get a chance to look at them.

  29. #2992b16si2010-03-23 11:49

    So I gave up on looking for a dump truck, everyone wants an arm and a leg for a decent dump truck. So I was looking for a tractor to convert into a dump and found this ? what do you guys think. 1996 kW t-600 http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/1650652392.html

  30. #30tonka2010-03-23 12:15

    Don't buy a road tractor for a dump, its going to cost you way more $$$ to make it into a dump than it would be a dump truck... And what is it you like about T600's they don't make good dump trucks in the first place.

  31. #3192b16si2010-03-23 12:58

    the thing is, I need it in mexico. it costs me about 3k more to import a dump truck then a tractor , all the dump trucks I find on craigslist are over my budget. I only have about 10k to spend. and all I really like about the t600 its the the front end it has, I like how it slants down. the things I am looking for in a truck are, it must have a cummins, detroit, or cat motor,manual trans, and for it to havea slanted front end. Not a big boxy type. any suggestions where to look for a decent priced dump truck? I been looking on craigslist daily and the websites posted here.

  32. #32tonka2010-03-23 14:51

    10-4 you been lookin in California, i like the t800s

  33. #3392b16si2010-03-23 14:53

    NO mostly texas, chicago , and everything in between.

  34. #34trucker12010-03-23 16:47

    It looks to me like that truck has an intregal sleeper, in other words the cab and sleeper are one piece, you couldn't take the sleeper off, unless you took everything off and put another cab on from a T600 with no sleeper. Unless you want a dump truck with a sleeper. ' George

  35. #35Willis Bushogin2010-03-23 20:17

    truck Its a long way from you and lots can happen on that long of a trip and it will cost you big bucks, when you get broke down away from home. Is this a removable sleeper? If its not, its a really big job to fill in the back of the cab. If it is a removable sleeper, then its still a job, but a bunch easier to do. What is the length of the chassis, back of cab to end? Do the math, do you have enough room for the size bed you need. This will most likely be a single frame chassis and probably air ride. It is do-able, but I dont know if its worth the trouble and I know it will cost you more than your stated budget. You will need a PTO, hydraulic tank, cylinder, hoses, dump body, etc. I can see you getting another $6-10,000 in getting this truck ready to go and lots of work and you will still have a $9-10,000 truck You will not have low geared rears, so off road you may have a problem. Not worth it in my opinion Good Luck and try to find something closer home, tandem in my area are dirt cheap. A friend of mine just bought a 98 Sterling, Cat motor, 16ft bed $11,000. He got it home and put it to work the next day

  36. #3692b16si2010-03-23 20:21

    I am originally from chicago, thats why I was looking for it there. yeah it does seem like a lot of work if itan integrated sleeper. damb tell your buddy to sell me his. i wont be using it for a business. I just need to haul chicken poop to my dads avocado ranch.

  37. #37Willis Bushogin2010-03-23 20:27

    dump Tonka, this is almost to the word, what I just typed. I agree with you 100% As for the T600, to my little knowledge a T600 was never a tandem axle dump truck, unless it was a special order. I like T600 & T800 looks but I dont like a dump truck that still has those fairings left on them. Another thing, the front springs most likely be too light, if its not a factory setup, not to mention the rear suspension setup. Buy a factory dump truck, a bunch cheaper in the long run

  38. #382stickbill2010-03-23 22:47

    I seen some X cement mixer trucks on Iron Planet in Harris County.I know the trucks have heavy specs.All Internationals. Company pulled mixers off just selling cab and chassis

  39. #39CRAFT2010-03-23 23:35

    Don't forget to check the frame size ...especially behind the cab ... at least it should be double framed with an insert .... you don't want the frame to bend or break right where the hoist is mounted

  40. #40Dumpsterdavid2010-03-24 23:44

    For the best value, find an auction of a construction company that is downsizing or going out of business. Look for a Mack that was built to be a dump truck from the begining. Next look for a mechanical engine. The newer electronic crap is expensive to repair and in most cases requires a trip to the dealer. There are alot of trucks like this that are being exported every day because buyers around the world realize the value and how much life these trucks have left in them.

  41. #4192b16si2010-03-25 01:01

    where can I look for an auction? are they posted online somewhere? yeah Iam looking for an older mechanical engine. the only electic i am willing to take is a detroit. I am trying to find something other then a mack, because parts are hard to find here.

  42. #42potosino2010-04-01 01:31

    1965 dump truck for sale 1965 dump truck for sale 9500 13 sped reno nv 775 3423273

  43. #4392b16si2010-04-01 10:31

    do you have pictures?