Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Upset got to vent

busdrivernine ยท 2010-01-15 23:10

One of the road contractors that we have worked for in the past has a big job starting , and in the past the job super has called trucks. Well we were sorta counting on this job as it is about 100,000 yrd job I heard through other truckers that have worked for this same company in the past . and they said that the construction co had hired a local hauler for $45.00 per hr what the crap How can idots run their trucks for this ? I really hope this piece of trash loses his asrse on this job .Some how in the near future I can hear the phone ringing and it will be contractor needing trucks hopefully I will be busy and say Thanks but no thanks .These kind of truck owners are the reason that we can not get a working rate. that you can actually make a profit on. There is another company South of here that is only wanting to pay $40.00 per hr . and get this idots are actually working for that and it is 3 week turn on money . I can go broke with my truck sitting in my drive way and do it a lot easier in my armchair than sitting in my truck burning $2.859 per gal of diesel fuel

Replies21
  1. #1prfire202010-01-15 23:27

    your making the rite decision not working if your not making money lets say for example you and the 40 dollar and hour guy have have the exact same trucks bought them new the same year 5 years down the road you both have to sell them im willing to bet your trucks will be worth more with 50000 miles on them than the low baller with 300000 just the way i look at it hope it helps ya vent

  2. #2grandpa2010-01-16 18:12

    /good answer , son.

  3. #32stickbill2010-01-16 23:32

    I'm betting most of these trucks are converted road trucks.Allso the names on the door will be Pedro,Hernandez.etc.Everybody I know say the same thing.They buy cheap.Do no maint.Dodge the DOT.Lots of construction companies like to use them because they are CHEAP.It's going on every where.Allthe Chip trucks around here are the same way.

  4. #4busdrivernine2010-01-16 23:39

    I have not heard the name of the company yet , but did hear that the Texas DOT cops were out there today and told them that they would be back with a set of portable scales :drinkup LOve it hope that they really stick it to them lowballers . :cool2

  5. #52stickbill2010-01-17 01:22

    And they should.You see them all over Houston driving back streets.

  6. #6TimHay2010-01-17 09:27

    it happened here . there used to be really good money in the gravel business. But then this group of "people" came over bought trucks through there churchs (so they dont have to pay tax) with interst free or close to it money from the government becuase the were "new canadians" and cut prices. They are now hauling lumber, with a hole cut in the floor so they dont have to stop driveing when the other can go to the bathroom #1or2 most shops will not work on theere trucks. Thats the rumors i have heard any way but now there is no money hauling gravel last fall as low as $100 for a truck and tri axle wagon

  7. #7Alberta2010-01-17 11:10

    Tim, that's not a rumor........a friend that works in a truck repair shop told me that he ran into that once. Imagine the surprise when he crawled under the truck and tried to figure out what that "stuff" was. Once he seen the hole in the sleeper, he lost it and tore a strip off the driver before he kicked him out of the shop. I'm still laughing at that one....

  8. #8TimHay2010-01-17 13:07

    I heard that so many times i new it had to be true

  9. #9thejdman042010-01-17 17:13

    Unfortunatly, around here 40 bucks an hour for tandems and 60 an hour for semis are pretty much standard. No one who runs respectable equipment and is trying to run a profitable business can run for these rates esp with 3.00 diesel. Many minorities around here are running trucks for these rates, live in the truck (have no family house payment etc to worry about making), they have no insurance, dumpy equipment and a lot of times not a legit cdl. If anything happens, they simply disappear. I know a few guys who in the past have worked on some of their trucks, one losing 15,000 dollars on a major overhaul, the work was performed, however they never paid and the minority and the truck disappeared. When you run a shotty business like that I supposed at 40 dollars you can maybe break even but you cant make any money.

  10. #10Greg2010-01-17 22:49

    Parked my quads at the end of 2003 as far as custom hauling goes. Net of $3.80 per hour with a hired driver and no major break downs. It was not worth putting $120,000.00 od truck on the road for that. Now they only move when I need them and can't hire trucks. I can hire trucks for less than I can run mine so do it when ever I can. The big contractors have always chewed up and spit out hired trucks, just the way it is.

  11. #11Arabhacks2010-01-18 01:00

    San Antonio Texas. Hello. Alamo Transit II. http://safer.fmcsa.dot.gov/query.as...nal_query_string=ALAMO TRANSIT COMPANY II LTD http://www.manta.com/coms2/dnbcompany_jycmcy You do not even want to know what they pay. I ran for DeLaCerda but prefer Martinez. I actually made more money running equipment. I was told that it would be a step up to run for a contractor. That was the dumbest thing I have done! Now, it is a machine for me, no exceptions. Had I to do it over I would have said something to the effect that my CDL was suspended or something, or I turned it in. :Banghead Bottom line is that I was happy there, as an operator.

  12. #122109 Stang2010-01-18 17:15

    I taught that was only in the Miami Fl area ,the broker here charge the O/O 10% brokers fee plus 11% insurance fee ,so if you gross $300,000 a year you paid $30K insurance oh and they don't care if you have insurance , if you work for them they will charge you the 11% ,but there has been many cases that after a bad accident there is not such a thing as insurance ,when lawyer gets involved they ,the broker proves that they don't know the subject in the crash ,and never work a day for such broker ,every time I hear of something like this I get infuriate it ,I'm always talking to the Owner Operators to stop supporting this scam ,they always fight back telling me that it is to easy for me to say, because I'm independent ,and I try to explain that when I started I did from zero and never put up with that cr@p . These people that I'm talking about are Hispanics like me and I found out that every where I go with a high population of Hispanic truckers is the same xxxx ,and the worse is that every single one is always complaining of how bad are the SOB brokers exploiting their own people ,but man I and many others never put up with that mentality, of you have to work for a broker or you will never make it ,than they look at you like you're some kind of elite in the business ,this people work cheap, most don't have insurance ,most don't pay the heavy vehicle road tax (2290) they always managed to buy off road fuel or hot fuel and tires ,repairs? on most cases ,what do you mean ?, and the list goes on and on ,at the long run we all get affected by this under ground market ,all contractors know they can pull theirs strings and have the dump truckers do it for almost nothing ,all they have to say is Ramirez or Fernandez Trucking can do it for less and right away they get this poor soul hauling all the loads for pennies and then half way through the job the contractor calls and says, hey Ramirez just call me and say they can do it for half, unless you can do it for that much don't bring any more, and the same guy keeps hauling for less than nothing . Man don't get me started . any body here can ask any question if you want ,I don't believe on that don't ask, that is inappropriate, he is a minority. I'm just like anybody here I am a US citizen like everybody else I breathe the same air as you ,when I want something it cost me the same as you , if I want something really hard I know it might mean that I have to work harder ,that minority BS ,is just a scam created by the government ,that a lot of faceless unamericans are taking advantage of at everybody else's expense, so don't feel bad for any of these guys when you hear how bad they have it , they who ever is taking advantage of the system is just ruining our country . PS . And please don't hire any of these loser's as cheap as they sound ,some how is going to cost you more down the road . I'm done for now ,talked about venting . :usa

  13. #13PSDF3502010-01-19 18:31

    I never understood this mentality. Trucking dirt work and others is one thing that can't be outsourced.

  14. #14Dozerboy2010-01-19 19:15

    We have had TXDOT park out in front of our jobs so much it isn't even funny and they always have someone pulled over. I don't know how some guys get away with it. I have seen trucks that the inspection is over a year out of date.

  15. #15busdrivernine2010-01-19 20:45

    I did find out some more abouthe job they are using triaxle dumps and they are running for $45.00 per hr man oh man is that cheap or what ? but The county DOT is ripping them a new one from what I have heard .even brought out a set of portables and has set them up LOL . I am sitting here smiling and sure glad that I am not on that job let the low ballers have all the glory on this one .

  16. #162stickbill2010-01-19 20:51

    I was told by a Texas Highway Dept Inspector that the trucks had to be legal to be on a State job.But contractors like W.B.in Houston and others know who to pay off.

  17. #17busdrivernine2010-01-19 21:11

    old saying was it is not who you know*********

  18. #18Shifty2010-01-19 21:58

    You know when you see a crime committed or a law broken you have a duty as an American citizen to turn that person or people in. OR DO YOU LOOK THE OTHER WAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOWBALLERS HAVE TO BREAK LAWS TO RUN THAT CHEEP..

  19. #19busdrivernine2010-01-19 22:42

    hopefully the new CSA2010 act will weed alot of them out , but sad thing is it is going to get a lot of the ones that are trying to do it right also

  20. #20Arabhacks2010-01-20 04:25

    WB San ntonio Hello. I was an operator for WB for nearly a year and was told that I could make more money as a driver. Oscar and the gang were stealing dirt and I said something about it. I was promptly fired. The company did take action and I was put back on a dozer only to see someone killed. At the present time I am unable to feel comfortable behind the wheel of a CMV due to this incident. But, due to the fact that I have always been safe around equipment I can operate with some degree of comfort. To recruit drivers they pay a $200 bonus to whoever signs you on. That is why Oscar had the big push to get me to drive, he made the money. However I was actually making less money as a driver. So, use your imagination, guess how little they pay? That is what you are up against.

  21. #21Dozerboy2010-01-21 11:04

    They don't even have to pay them off there is so much going on they can't check every truck if they check any. State inspectors are easiest I have found to bend the rules around.