Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking for a good pen light

joelmartin ยท 2012-10-30 20:41

I have purchased various shirt pocket / pen style lights and forevermore have trouble with the switch going bad, or they stay on all the time, or you have to tap it against something to have it shine; yeah, even Snap -On selling Streamlight has not been OKay with me. Now I will admit, I could be more careful. But I am a guy, and I focus on work, not gentleness, so , any suggestions what You have found to hold up? Hard-to-please in Southern California.......

Replies21
  1. #1d9gdon2012-10-30 21:00

    They're kinda like #2 pencils now, keep a box full of them cause they're all made in China.

  2. #2Scrub Puller2012-10-31 01:33

    Yair . . . I had a mini Maglight for a while untill it was stolen . . . these are minature versions of the multicell police torches which I thought were made in the US. They are very good and parts such as "o" rings, switches and so on are available. Cheers.

  3. #3SeaMac2012-10-31 19:52

    Hi Joel, I hear you loud and clear, here is my solution and the best li'l pen light I have ever seen, owned or used. I keep it in my shirt pocket and mostly use it to check fluid levels in the dark AM. The LED Lenser P4BM , check one out the search eBay for a good price I don't think you'll be disappoined.

  4. #4grandpa2012-10-31 20:21

    I bought a Leatherman Wave multi-tool two years ago,,,, it came with a small light that fit into the leatherman holster.... best little bugger i've ever had.

  5. #5equip guy2012-10-31 20:41

    I use the "larry light". It has a clip, a magnet on the clip, and 4-5 bright LED's. I paid $9.00 for. It looks similar to the EZ -Red one for almost double the price. Have had good luck so far.

  6. #6SeaMac2012-10-31 20:41

    Hi grandpa, I have one of those too, great little light isn't it. Also, Leatherman markets LED Lenser products under their own brand...

  7. #7Ncso9352012-11-01 00:24

    I can't believe that the streamlight can't hang. I've got several and I'm very hard on them all. After watching that video for the "Larry" I'm going to find one tomorrow.

  8. #8Graham12012-11-01 08:32

    Four sevens preon 2 is an excelent light. Good run time, three brightness settings and pretty tough. I put mine through the washing machine in my overalls pocket the other day and only realised when it came on. Took it out when cycle finished and left it on side to dry - still works fine, just cleaner than before. http://www.foursevens.com/products/flashlights/Preon

  9. #9Slidey2012-11-01 10:16

    I use the streamlight AAA, get them off a guy on ebay for a fraction of the cost what the Snap-On guy wanted. The new style ones with the flay type LED are even better than the old ones. Yes, it doesn't hand but I normally end up with it hanging out of my mouth as I work anyway. If you have to work in the dark the LED Lenser is hard bet for compact light to go on a hard hat

  10. #10SeaMac2012-11-01 17:00

    Slidey, Best LED light to go on a hardhat that I've found and use is the Princeton Tec EOS Industrial, extremely bright with respectable endurance.

  11. #11Slidey2012-11-01 21:37

    Thanks for that, I'll look one up. Mine died on the last night shift.

  12. #12norite2012-11-02 00:38

    My favourite is a mini mag lite with led bulb. I know its not a pen light but I carry one around with me all the time. Battery life is amazing compared to the old mini mag bulbs on the standard light.

  13. #13Ncso9352012-11-02 00:49

    For an everyday carry, that is not a pen type, but is super bright, rechargeable, compact and super durable, there is the Streamlight Strion LED. But like Norite said above, about the mini mag, this is definitely not a pen light either.

  14. #14caterpillarmech2012-11-04 06:48

    I bought an energizer pen light at Home Depot for $6.97 and have carried it for two years now. Love it. I have beat the crap out of it and it keeps going.

  15. #15Greatwestcam2012-11-04 16:50

    Have to agree with caterpillermech, I have tried lots of flash light over the years and found the energizer hard case 2AA light to be a good buy. Did like the streamlight 4AA LED, but the switch doesn't last, warrenty replaced them till the local store quit dealing with them, then had to mail it off (waste of time) worst was the mag LED 2AA, works ok when batteries are fresh but goes down hill fast, having hi/low and blink features realy suck and not always an easy one hand operation to turn on/off and rolls away. have two years on the energizer with no issues.

  16. #16joelmartin2012-11-04 22:10

    Thank You all so much; will have some options to research now. Joel

  17. #17The Learner2012-11-05 00:28

    led lenser torches are the brightest in every size by far that i have seen they last any where up to 6 months on the original batteries and can take a beating everything from head lamps to full police batten size all LED http://www.ledlenser.com.au/products/high-performance-line/p-series/p4/ the pen size torches have quiet a range

  18. #18Randy882012-11-06 22:08

    I hate to admit this, but mine is a catapillar light, not sure who makes it for them, but they are nice, work fine, but are 25 bucks each.

  19. #19joelmartin2012-11-10 00:04

    My choice was a P4 ledlenser.com , got one off ebay for 22 something includes shipping and a nice box and batteries. Same company that makes leathermans, German technology. Thanks everyone

  20. #20SeaMac2012-11-10 09:39

    Precisely what I've been saying all along and is the one I personally own and recommend hands down! :thumbsup

  21. #21pburress2014-08-24 18:44

    x 2