Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking for a little help here, International 4900, DT466

wornout wrench ยท 2012-08-07 21:14

Hi guys After too many years of working for someone else I have decided to hang up my own shingle and go on my own. I have over 35 years as a heavy duty mechanic but one of the few things I have never worked on are Internationals. I have found a 95, 4900 with a DT466, 13 speed trans, both engine and trans are low Km's on the reman. What are the things that I should look for, any problems that are known that sort of thing. Thanks in advance for any advice, comments, concerns, what have you. Brian

Replies2
  1. #1bpogue2012-08-08 22:51

    Good engines. What is the horsepower rating of the engine? First of all I assume it not a DT466E. Check for fuel leaks. There are about 6 rubber lines that are problematic sometimes, but easy to change. Pumps can be adjusted for more power if you wish.

  2. #2Funkyfullwidth2012-08-09 08:12

    Also keep an eye on those international fuel tanks. The like to rot out. I know on the 2000ish and up ones they do at least.