I am in need of a new CTL. I currently have a 2003 cat 287 track loader that I purchased with alot of hours on it. I need something with alot of horsepower. I was thinking of the deere CT332 bobcat T320 and the cat 299C. I move alot of dirt, clear come land of brush and small debris, and move loaded pallets. What do you guys think, I know I left a few brands out but I am open to machines in the same class as the mentioned above. Thanks for the help.
all i can say is sell that CAT piece of junk ASAP! those things are the worst machine CAT has to date! if you want a REAL tracked skid steer with a ton of horsepower you go with the Takuechi TL150..... got just under a 100 HP and is a beast of a machine, they go down in size from there, the 150 being the biggest and the 130 being the smallest, but they have now updated them so you can get a TL250 and i believe it goes down to a TL220 now or something like that. someone once told me they are comparable to a D3. i have never run a dozer before so i wouldnt know but i have lots of experience on a TL150 and its a GREAT machine!
I never really loved the Cat but for a first skid steer that I owned not used from the boss it was good. I will run a Takeuchi and then I can get a understanding of what it is like. Thanks for your input.
that or try a New Holland C185, but my opinion on New Holland might be a little biased since i grew up on New Holland skid steers so naturally i liked their tracked skid steer. heres some pics of the one i ran, as you can see it was very muddy!
I am going to stay with the tracked machine. What do you use your machine mainly for and is it doing the task you throw at it? Another machine to consider.
the machine that we normally use is a New Holland L185 and right now its being used for plowing snow, but normally it would be used for loading trucks, running material like dirt and gravel and moving pallets of material around. it deffinetly holds up to the stuff we use it for but if you want a CTL go with Tak or New Holland in my opinion.... they both worked awesome for the stuff we used them for which was streambank work (moving material and loading trucks, working in water and thick sloppy mud)
Sounds good to me. Time to get in the seat of some of these machines and see what feels right. I guess nobody really likes deere cat and bobcat.
try the tach 140 or 150 with the air ride seat. I don't think they will give the nice soft ride that your cat gives you, but their undercarriages hold up alot better. If you get onto alot of turf asv has some turf friendly tracks that look too good to be true.
What is up with takeuchi's new machines they replaced the 1 with a 2 so on the new machines it it 250 instead of 150. Doesn't look like there are any differences. Anybody know something I dont.
its an updated version, i think it has a couple HP more, its a little heavier and just has some more power all around, aside from that no real change as far as im aware
If your moving a lot material I would demo the CASE 450 Series 3 machine. It has more engine torque (288 foot/pounds) than the CAT @ 217 f/p, BC @ 237 and Deere @ 254. The 450 has very fast cycle times. It is a dirt mover. It is a radial lift machine so its ROC is lower than the vertical lift machines, but if your moving dirt I think it is about the most perfect machine. Its certainly worth a demo. The issue I have with it is it is big and wide, a little hard to trailer.
Takeuchi actually went to a different and smaller engine in their new TL250. They used to run a 4.4.L Yanmar but now run a 3.8L Kubota with a lot less engine torque.
You might also want to look at the ASV PT100. It has the best engine hp and torque out of the big framed CTLs (4.4L, 92 net hp, 306ft lbs). It has standard two speed (11.5mph), huge ground clearance (14"), trailers easy (69" wide and only 10,150lbs), has good lift height- 125", a good ROC 3800lbs, standard high flow 40gpm@3650psi, pilot controls, etc.
yeah that does suck that they went with a smaller engine and lost some torque..... oh well i guess, nothing we can do about it
KSSS- I will demo the Case and then I can get a fell for the machine. All I have operated from case is a backhoe loader so I cant say either way. I guess Takeuchi had a reason for doing that. I don't see why they would so that but thats up to them. Digdeep- Asv is another that I will need to demo. They look good from what I have seen and researched. Thanks for your insight. No Deere fans huh.
As far as Tak updating there numbers. Most other brands do this from time to time. Seems to me it usually coincides with a new engine, usually to meet the new tier of emission standards. Ill add my vote for the Tak. They ride a lot rougher than the Cat. They take a lot of abuse, and push like a dozer. They are fast. I always associated running a Tak to playing a video game. Everything is so fast, powerful, and responsive. I dont think you can beat Tak when it comes to a compact track loader
Time to call up my friend and run his Tak TL150. Then I can see what it is like for my self.
trust me you wont be disappointed! best CTL out there! little pricey but well worth the money if you ask me!
dieselnut, I think the other guys are on the right track with the Takeuchi. They are simple, durable, and the controls are very predictable compared to Cat. I am not a Case fan, never have been, although I think they build a very dependable machine. ASV's are nice all the way around. The only drawback I've found is wintertime use in extreme cold, the tracks like to freeze to the point where the machine won't move. Happy demoing!
I have narrowed my choices to the takeuchi TL 150 and the Deere CT332. No demo yet. That will probably be the deciding factor. anybody have any experience with the Deere?
I've had an 09 CT332 for 2 months now. Nothing but good things to say about it. Get the Electrohydraulic Controls. Well worth it.
Thats good. What do you think of its performance and what are you using it for?
we've got a gehl ctl70 (tak140) and I love it, its hard to see how we got by without it in the past. I've operated a tak150 and its even more of a beast.
We own a 287b and we just demoed the 289c that is one nice machine it rides smooth plenty of power u will be impressed i did not demo the 299 but i could only imangine u should not rule out the cat that would be my number one pick i have ran the tak they ride to rough for me after a long day that machine kills me good luck
I demo'd a Takeuchi TL 140 and found it to be underpowered. The demo was short, but it was because it died in the pile too often. It also was a hard ride, which is a good thing if you are looking for reliability. My ASV/Posi-track had some electrical problems in the beginning, but all was take care of by the factory. I'm using mine for general residential development chores, including snow plowing. It is sure footed and fast, and nothing beats it in the snow. Get the PT60 for small chores or the PT80 for bigger jobs. They both have high speed capability. jmf
I thought about the cat today and thought that it may be worth a trial. I am in the machine all day and it is never smooth. The ride is hard to beat. Now with my thoughts it is down the the Takeuchi TL 150 Deere CT332 and the Cat 299c. jfm- I have had a few friends that have had the PT80 and they have had problems with the tracks and electrical systems and ASV would not steep up to the plate on the issues so that turns me off. Nothing is better then great customer service.
your 287 is one of the smoothes rdieing machines out there the 299 is almost just as good with the air ride seat u will think u are still in your 287
So far the deere ct 332 has been used mainly for moving large boulders up the side of a ski slope. Plenty of power , good speed, accurate and very stable. (I got the 2 speed option) I'm probably gonna sell My JD450 dozer as I really won't need it anymore. The combo of my Hundai H-140, w/blade and the CT332 do everything I need.
Stick Pro-Did you notice anything new and great on the new compact track loaders from cat? I know they are new and haven't been out long but what did you think. Any different from their multi terrain loaders? Gumper- Thats good to hear. I will be moving alot of dirt digging onto piles and grading. Well I have 3 good machines here and the demo will ultimately decide. Has anybody had any major problems with the any of the 3 machines?
the new ctl is a whole different setup from our 87 it looks like it is almost bullet proof i dont know if u have had the regular problems with the asv system but from what i have noticed all of the probs should be gone aith the new ctl setup the tracks seem much stronger maybe for a change the track will wear out instead of comeing apart the only thing that is the same is the torsion axles is the same on the mtl and the new ctl long as they will hold up this will be the machine to have my hat is off to cat
I haven't had any problems at all. I bought it used and maybe the previous owner had some but fixed them up. I had a mechanic come and inspect the machine for at least 3 hours. He looked at every single thing on the machine and if you buy used that is the way to go to make sure everything is ok. Sounds good with that machine. Can't wait for a demo.
sounds good let me know how the demo goes are u replaceing your 87 or u just adding to your fleet
I will definitely let you know how the demo goes. I am not really sure if I am replacing or adding. I have the truck to pull both at one time and the trailer. I work for a company but have my own machine. I could probably have another guy work with me and get double the work done. Ill have to price out the machines and crunch numbers.
what year is your 287 have u had any trouble with the pilot valve i am have a prob with mine curently soon as a go left the back alarm comes on and the thing just keeps goin dtraight i was curious if u had any probs like that dont get me wrong i still love my 87 but it is not an 89
I have an 03 and I have had no hydraulic issues that are major except a cracked hose. Some of my friends have 287 and they have issues with the hydraulic system all the time. I guess the previous owner worked some magic and really look care of everything.
Was it the PT80 or SR80 that had electrical problems? What was the problem with the tracks? jmf
It was the RC85. They do not have the new style and I was thinking of the newer one at the time. My bad. It was a while ago and from what I rember it was with the rollers and I think something happened with the sprockets to. He wasnt exactially gentle with the machine so that could have added to the problem.
The PT80 is a different platform than the RC85, and much improved new edition. If you have a good Terex Posi-track (aka ASV) dealer in your area, you should try the PT80 for yourself. jmf
The closest dealer for me is about 2 hours away.
I have a Bobcat T190 and Takeuchi TL130 and I would not trade the Tak for 2 Bobcats. I have 2 Bobcats in the shop right now, the Takeuchi very rarely gives any problems. I have bought my last Bobcat and all my future machines will be Takeuchi's. Neil
I have heard that the Bobcat have had a lot of down time. Thanks for confirming. No demos yet but once I do I will let you guys know my results
Check out a T320....I never really thought much about them till I checked one out at the dealership and had a salesman tell me things I never thought a bobcat had. I think its a really sweet machine! Infact... Turns out I'm picking up a new T320 tomarrow.
Yes give the T320 a try. I have been very happy with all my bobcat machines. Of course that doesn't mean I haven't had any problems but warranty has covered all problems and the dealer support here is excellent.My newest T320 is the suspension carriage and I have to say I love it. It rides very smooth. I currently own a S185,S330,T300, and a T320. We use the machines for Land clearing, forestry mowing, back filling and the usual. I have run most of the other major brands and I find the bobcat brands are more comfortable and seem to be a little higher end feeling then the others. The biggest thing to look at whenbuying new is dealer support and for compact track loaders get the longest warranty there is.
Tl 250 If you are interested in a Takeuchi Please call me. We are the new Takeuchi Dealer in Wilmington. Our equipment should be in a a little while. Thanks Adam 336-803-0698
ASv has same junk under carriage as cat. It ia also owned by Terex wich will kill the support
Look at the under carrage and find out about the warranty. I have a bobcat 864 and a T190 and know that the tracks and rollers can get very expensive. The Takeuchi has been around the longest and is a well made machine. Bobcat makes great machines but any tracked ones are very expensive to operate.
That is a real classy thing to for a salesman to say. I'm sure your customers will love hearing you trash Bobcat, CAT, John Deere and the rest of the others too. Things must have really changed since my sales days.
I havent really put much thought into the Bobcat due to the fact that you can only use bobtach attachments. Am I right or completely missing something? Well I crunched numbers for the past few days and right now it looks as its not going to happen. I have a machine currently that gets the job done and maybe when the market turns around I will look for something again. Thanks again guys for all of your thoughts.
Dieselnut Most attachments fit most brands. My neighbor has New Holland and we swap attachments. He also has a cat sweeper and it works on both NewHolland and Bobcat.
I know most attachments fit most machines but I think that on bobcat skid steers you are only able to use bobcat attachments.
Dieselnut that is incorrect. I have 4 Bobcats and they do run other brands attachments. Their bobtach is similar to many other manufactuers. I have run New Holland attachments and Cat attachments on mine with no issues. Their may be some out their that don't fit but so far I haven't run across them.
Only the plug and play attachments aren't interchangable due to the differing wiring loom but that can be altered to suit your machine with out to much hassle usually.hose lengths and quick couplers are the only other difference. John
DIGDEEP-You always get emotional when someone talkes poorly about your beloved ASV...stop judging... this is a forum for people to speak there minds about equipment and related topics. If you don't like what is said than logout or defend you views.
I don't particularly care about the fact that he doesn't like the ASV undercarriage. You and I have agreed to disagree on that. My comment was primarily aimed at the fact that a salesman/dealer and not a customer or owner would come on the forum and trash the competition, any competition. It's just something you shouldn't do from a professional standpoint. You and I can argue all night long:drinkup but we are not acting in the same capacity as Equipmentguy. He came on, stated he was a dealer, and then trashed the competition. I would have never said anything if he wouldn't have identified himself as a dealer. I would have said something if he trashed Bobcat too, or Deere, or Case, etc.
Well I bought the T320....Tried the suspension undercarriage for 2 days and realized how bad I hated it. Traded it for the standard undercarriage. The suspension is very tippy! with a fully loaded bucket...what changed my mind is when I had a bucketfull heaped and backed over a small hump and nearly smacked my head on the windshield....Now granted I did have the bucket half way up.....But I got the standard undercarriage in the same position and it handled it fine. The slightly smoother ride just was'nt worth the tippyness.
I agree 100% The suspension u/c was more tippy when using the mulcher(2300lbs) setup. I bought the T320 w/rigid u/c. Hey,less moving parts = less maintenance in my opinion.
Dig Deep; the thing is that he's right. I own an ASV RCV Posi Track and I can't charge enough to offset the repair costs. Just in Bearings and shafts in the tracks I spend a minimum of 4K every 800hrs. Not to mention the arms showing cracks from poor manufacturing (The company admitted it, wasn't from user abuse), the fuel gauge and hour meter rarely working, no working lights from about 80 hrs after purchase (we now have around 1600-1800 hrs on it and they still don't work) and very difficult to work on the unit unless the arms are up (when it breaks down, it's difficult to put your arms up!) All around it’s a recreational machine, where you probably like it if you only put on 30-40 hrs a year and love to tinker!! They are garbage.
You're a very patient owner- $8,000 in repair bills and you still own it. I would have had ASV take it back by now, especially since they admitted that it was poor manufacturing. I guess I've been fortunate to get over 2000 hours on my RC50 without the pains that you've experienced. My issue wasn't that someone didn't like the brand, I sold Bobcats for over 8 years. My comment was related to a salesman/dealer trashing opposing products. Its basically understood in the industry that salesmen don't "bash" other brands. Low class in most salemen's opinion.
Just stating fact Cat knows the undercarraige is bad from ASV that is why they changed it. The guy asked for opinions. That is what I gave him.
Check out he after market attachments. Most Manufactures don't make the attacchments anyway. The simply put their names on it
Now I have to jump in. If Cat knew the undercarriage was bad, they would have killed it the moment they got the CTL out the door. Opinions are usually prefaced with "I think" or "I believe," and to be fair, you expressed neither. You simply walked in, introduced yourself as a dealer, and then based the ASV undercarriage in one fell swoop.
Only my opinion. CAT had partnership with ASV for 5 years. Cat supplied the engines ASV supplied the undercarriage. The partnership is over and CAT has now changed their system
.....and extended their contract for ASV undercarriages until 2012 right after Terex bought ASV.
To keep the line going on 247 and 257 and also parts. The only reason I said anything is because I have sold them in the past and it was very hard to keep customers happy with the machines. Maybe it is diffrent in Wisconsin. I can only speak of my experience. I hope most of the people don,t have the trouble I had with it. Sounds like yours is a good machine.
Website still shows 247BII through 297C. Did I miss the press release that they were dropping the larger MTL's?
My understanding is that the new 279C, 289C and 299C models are exactly the same as the existing 277C, 287C and 297C models, except that they use a Cat undercarriage instead of an ASV design. Cat are selling both ranges of tracked skid steer loader concurrently, and for good reason. If you are after a heavy duty, muck-shifting product, the new Cat undercarriage is the best option. If your need is for maximum operator comfort, the ASV tracks on the Cat skid steers are fantastic. I recall last year having a go in a number of ASV-tracked skid steers. The suspension makes high speed use a pleasure and its ability to drive through thick mud is astounding. With the special smooth (green) tracks it worked very well on the fairway of a golf course, without leaving any ruts.
Whilst it has been known that you would miss breakfast if somebody didn't call you...........you are quite correct in this case....errrr...cat. Dirty Digger is on the money...more than some.
Websites correct. 8 total CTLs- 5 models of MTL (ASVs undercarriage) and 3 models of metal rollers and miniexcavator tracks.
Whats up Guys, have been reading for awhile and finally decide to join, anyway I am ready to purchase a new CTL and cannot decide between a Tak tl250 or a Cat 299c.. has anyone had any experience with these two machines?? had a Tak for a couple of days and was very impressed with the power, will get the Cat this week to demo.. any info would be good.. Thanks
hey chewy-what did you choose? happy w/your decision?
The Tak is all business and the Cat has bells a whistles
Spoken just like a dealer salesman trolling the sites.:drinkup
I would only choice would be a CAT 289/299 or a Deere 332D. I'm in Houston Texas and operators that have bought Tak have said, the service is terrible!
i would not pay a dime for for an asv sorry. Takeuchi bobcat New Holland case not a big fan of case hand controls but i do run a bobcat so what do i know lol
THESE look pretty gutsy, I wonder why they don't get a lot more press? Cheers
I thought Komatsu was exiting the compact equipment business...
Construction Equipment's product information on compact track loader s for residential builders, remodelers, and architects serving the residential construction industry.
Machine Asv not bad but poor visabilty.kubota the window to open pain in the ass.takahuchi is harder to get parts local anywhere .