Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking for a new compact track loader

Deeretime ยท 2009-10-12 23:24

I run a large construction company in alberta and I am looking to replace my gehl ctl 80 with sompthing of better quality. I definately dont like the bobcat equipment, so im hoping that the cat 299c will meet my expectations. I know that there is alot of knowledge on here so I want to hear all of the good things and bad things about all the brands and what any body thinks of the new cat u/c and if its any good

Replies25
  1. #1KSSS2009-10-13 20:58

    Try a CASE 450CT Series 3. It has almost a third more torque than a 299. The only issue is that it is 83" wide. If you have room to run it, its animal.

  2. #2Deeretime2009-10-14 11:33

    Yea i have run alot of case machines and they make an awesome skid steer but i fell in love with the piolet controls, Do the new case machines have them ? and what control pattern do they run?

  3. #3MXZ2009-10-14 15:21

    From your name, guessing you're a Deere guy in at least some regard. CT332 is tough to beat in a lot of aspects. If you're not a Deere cab fan historically, the D series should address any concerns and be on par with or better than the other brands from what I have seen. 333D looks to have substantially more HP than the CT332's also. Sounds like the dealers will start to get shipments in mid December.

  4. #4stuvecorp2009-10-14 17:30

    You can get the Case style control or the Cat style pilot control in the new Series 3 machines.

  5. #5Deeretime2009-10-14 20:58

    Yes i might have to wait for the 333 to come out just so it will mach the rest of the iron in the yard, as long as they changed the cab and controlls, Better servicability would be nice to !

  6. #6BAREIN2009-10-14 22:40

    From what I have seen the TK/Gehls/Mus seam to be the better quality machine, ( i have not known any one with a Cat CTL yet) From what I have seen they do way better than the CNH, Deere, or BC CTL's. What problems have you had?

  7. #7rockman2009-10-15 05:52

    Has anyone tried the New Holland c190 at all ? I've put around 1000hrs on mine and been sort of lucky with it . A mate had one .........was an absolute lemon , it nearly broke him , 600hrs with broken drive pumps , injector motor, main pump , undercarriage , rollers , idlers , you name it.......it broke . Dont know if this helps at all . . Cheers

  8. #8MXZ2009-10-15 11:13

    Not a fan of the New Hollands for the reasons you mentioned. Seems like you hear that a lot. Then some guys have great luck with them though. No matter what color you get, I personally wouldn't buy a CTL w/o some extended warranty if you plan to keep it more than a year or so. Those machines put such a load on so many components, and the components are not cheap nor is the labor nowadays. Add in the engine changes to meet the increasingly stringent emissions requirements, and there's just too many potential costs. My experience with Deere anyway, is that the cost of extended coverage is very cheap insurance in the big picture.

  9. #9BAREIN2009-10-15 14:56

    A freind of mine bought the extended warranty on a Deere 270 that he had, and it saved his ass. $6000 in drive repairs at under 800 hrs. Of course Deere nor the dealer had any record that he bought the warranty, had to tear his house apart to find the reciept (not vary organized).

  10. #10KSSS2009-10-16 00:16

    You would think that the warranty purchase would have been on the contract? I like the idea of extended warranties. Your costs are known. You pay for the warranty which for the long term warranties is not cheap, but at least you know what your costs are for the next 5 years or whatever.

  11. #11Deeretime2009-10-16 01:51

    I have had the door latch and hinges replaced a couple times because of excessive vibration and i also have structural cracks in where the tracks are mounted to the frame it even cracked the airconditioning lines that go to the compressor. Its an awesome machine it has the most push of them all I think?, but for a machine that has only 1400hrs on it is turning into a machine that we cant maintain and keep running efficiently , Im hoping that cat is better quality and is not built out of cheep steel. Im gonna demo a new case 450 this week but when i called cat the sales man told me that either u buy one or you rent one from a rental store, finning does'nt do demo's, so im definately not inclined to buy it in canada any more Who is a good cat dealer down there ???

  12. #12heavylift2009-10-16 03:56

    they must not want to sell any machine if they are not wanting to demo their machines.... Personally I like the ride of the Cat.... I've worked for some fairly large companies, the dealers demo'd new machines to them, when all they wanted was a rental for a week.... It's all about the GREEN.. Give a little get a lot.... We needed a crane once... the Grove dealer hauled in a brand spanking new 28 ton.. The closest one we had available at the time was about a 600 miles away.

  13. #13them16772009-10-16 10:02

    I saw a picture of the 614 Liebherr crawler loader. It looks like a half bred loader. The cab looks like the larger 634 size but the rest of the loader looks like a steel tracked loader. A weird tweener. I know Liebherr makes some of Deere's dozers and loaders. I wonder if they are making this for Deere as well? Anybody use something like this? Anybody price one?

  14. #14BAREIN2009-10-16 10:15

    This is the problem I have with Cat, I talked to some guys from a large company that buy nothing but Cat, including there skids because they take care of them so well on the larger equipment, and they did not recomend them, said even with the suspension they rattle them selfs apart. Then the worst is that I know a comparable Cat would have been close to $20,000 more than my TK TL140 for the diffrence i can add a bit more and have a small wheeled skid. I am hoping that you just got a lemon. Do you think its possible that your employees are to hard on the Gehl? The 80 has lot's of power, and I think it is possible to be hard on machine.

  15. #15Cretebaby2009-10-16 19:45

    Make what for Deere? The full size track loaders? Yes The compact track loaders? NO

  16. #16Deeretime2009-10-18 13:37

    Yea there is no doubt that the gehl gets used and abused, but it also gets the best care ever i we have an ex body man that paints and fixes all the scraches in the winter, and it gets gone through top to bottom every day with our service crew. The thing i dont under stand is that i run it quite a bit and i am gentle but productive with it, and it still breaks apart Our skidsteers do all the clean up and topsoiling and every thing in betweeen. Our 70xt and our 1845 are awesome they are bullet proof, but the gehl is just built cheep ! and the cat im looking at is the 99 series with a different uc that the 97's and is suposed to be better and cheaper to maintain.

  17. #17KSSS2009-10-18 15:14

    I always thought that the Gehl machines lacked any attention to detail in their finished product. I am not saying they don't run, but to me it looked like they were made in somones shop over the Winter. The tracked machines however are built by Takeuchi which has a solid reputation in compact equipment. That is not to say that they could not have built a lemon. The CTL CATs look good. The cabs are nice. I have run their skid steers and MTL's (not yet run the CTL)and the performance is not what I am used to. Cat got some of it right though. Almost all the OEM's have released a premium pressurized cab, have pilots or E/H and offer ride control. I am a firm believer in torque. I depend a lot on my skid steers, we work at higher elevations and engine output and loader performance are very important. CASE has those qualities and so does Deere machines. I just think the CASE machines are more durable and much more comfortable to run.

  18. #18Jim Dandy2009-10-19 20:29

    I have a 05 JD 332 with 750 hours on it and overall I am very satisfied. It does have a coolant leak by the timing chain cover that apparently happened to a lot of them. Also, if you run it out of fuel or change a dirty filter it is difficult to reprime. Very powerful and stable atleast compared to my New Holland LS 160 rubber tire skid loader. Not a fair comparison but the difference was amazing to me. I would definetly buy another one.

  19. #19Dr. W2009-10-24 10:41

    One of my old airline buddys just bought a 332 Deere high flow! The hyd horse power is much lower the the CAT 289. The machine is well built and he said rides nice. I did not like the door but like the overhead A/C. I looked and considered one myself however, bought a CAT 289 high flow instead! For what we do, heavy underbrush and tree removel, I was concerned about the radiators being located in the rear. I have been known to back into a tree or two!

  20. #20MXZ2009-10-26 10:28

    I believe there's less than 3hp (high flow) difference between the deere and the cat. Both are over 60 hydraulic hp. Standard flow the Deere is slightly more than cat.

  21. #21Dr. W2009-10-26 12:36

    HDY horse power is pressure times GPM and devide by 1714. CAT high flow 4100psi @ 33GPM 79.93 Deere high flow 3300psi @ 33GPM 63.53

  22. #22DeereMan852009-10-26 14:17

    The system pressure listed for the Deere is for standard flow. In fact, I can't find system pressure for high flow, but they do list hydraulic horsepower at 61.5. The new 333D is listed at 68.4.

  23. #23them16772009-10-27 09:09

    It's the Deere 605.

  24. #24Digdeep2009-10-27 17:27

    Neither one of them will come close to those "theoretical" numbers, but the CAT has almost 10hp more in "actual" hydraulic hp. If you don't beleive me you can ask your dealer to put a flow meter on the machine and write down the flow amounts at the different pressures (say 1500psi, 2000psi, etc.) every 100-200psi above 1500psi and calculate those numbers and then divide by 1714. This will show you what you are actually getting for hydraulic hp out just past the couplers.

  25. #25Deeretime2009-10-28 21:31

    so Dr. W how do you like the cat is it every thing i would want do u think ?