Hello all! I am continuing my on the job education. Or trying too anyway. I would love to SEE a photo or two of grade staking a fill. As you bring up the fill, how do you determine each lifts' exact placement?? I am still in the little leagues, so I don't have a grade setter! Therefore I consult, you. Thanks for all your advice!!
You can stack your grade stakes as you go and transfer the elevation to the new stake.Ron G
ok, j. what exactly are you looking to know? staking seems intimidating, but it is really pretty easy.
http://www.tpub.com/content/engine/14081/css/14081_434.htm check this out lots of info
Old grade stakes are no problem, A driver will be along directly to help you with that ..........Sorry had to
Yeah, if you look just to the left of the hook in Tiny's avatar you can see one JUSSTTT coming out from under the bumper as he was trying to back out of the hole. Remember you have to look VERY HARD or you may not be able to see it, it might not even be visible to some people. :roll:roll Just kidding, it's funny that this thread should come up so soon after such a discussion about taking them DOWN.
Linky no workie Oops! Google Chrome could not find www.tpub.com
Just wanted to say thank you very much for the link above. I've always wondered about grade stakes as they weren't taught to me in operator school, and that site all the information and is simple to understand!
Where I am working, running over a grade stake will cost a case of beer (12 in Canada). Boss runs one over and it is always " Oh that stake is an old one. We're already done with that one." If you make the rules, you get to change em!
http://www.tpub.com/content/engine/14081/css/14081_429.htm it works for me I do not know maybe this one
Grade Stakes Thanks ontrac!! :drinkup This is a great site with lots of information,sometimes I need to brush up. :duh
Cool it works for me.As a stake passes under my bumper I know why its there now....:falldownlaugh:falldownlaugh
I was thinking about you guys the other day. I heard one of my foreman say on the radio "If you god-d*mn truck drivers run over one more stake your all f'n fired!"
Thanks, that site and the seabees planners and estimating guide are my favorites look around that site info on everything.
It depends on how much you really want to know. There isn't much information but there are a few books on grade checking. I always thought it was good to be able to read stakes and know what you are "supposed" to be building or even learn how to check grade. In the current work situation (as in little to none), it's good to have more jobs you can do to keep yourself working.
after reading that I am glad we changed to the metric system up here.
Staking a fill slope I'm not sure what you mean by changing to the metric system but looking at your avatar picture, I hope you check grade differently than you dig a ditch. I think that guy was trying to re-live his ride on the ferris wheel at the county fair the night before. I had to look back at the question that started this thread. How you stake a fill depends on what you are making. A slope or staking for a flat pad. If you are staking for a slope, you have a ratio that survey should put on the offset stake or control stake for the slope. It will give you a reference to TOE of slope. You make a "catch point" for the toe and build the slope at the ratio (2:1 is very common) to the top of slope setting fill stakes as you go. An example would be out 8 and up 4. Set a stake up the hill approximately 8 foot, take your tape and pull back to your bottom stake. Remember to hold your tape level out or it will affect the measurement. Drop your plumb bob to line up with your bottom stake and take the measurement from your tape. Say it is 7.5'. You go back to the top stake and move it out 5 tenths so that you are 8 foot. Put a mark near the bottom of the stake to shoot with your hand level. Go to the bottom stake, put your hand level on the ribbon and shoot the elevation on the upper stake. Say you shot 3.7'. Measure up 3 tenths and make your mark. That will give you out 8 and up 4; a 2:1 ratio. If you shot off a white ribbon (1 foot above grade), tie your white ribbon and you have successfully brought up your first slope stake. A better way is to shoot the angle using a clinometer and calculate the distance. There is a book on that in the "equipment for sale" section but it is probably best to learn doing it the old fashioned way. And if this does not relate to your question, disregard all of the above.
Just saying the math is a lot easier using a system based on 10 rather then 12. As far as the avatar goes I was just having some fun after cleaning the driveway.
You got that right. BUT engineers usually work in tenths and that does help with the calculators. Imperial gallons? Our kilo is less than their kilo....it is strange. Cool driveway cleaner. No pun intended.