Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking for a service truck with a 14′ body and 12k crane

Coalwelder16 · 2024-03-20 10:44

Looking to buy a truck on the east coast that isn't rusted away with hundreds of thousands of miles on it. I have a decent budget to work with. New trucks that meet my criteria are a ways out and ridiculously over priced. If anyone has any leads I would greatly appreciate it.

Replies19
  1. #1crane operator2024-03-20 17:31

    @Mike L He just got a new (to him) truck, I don't know where his old one went.

  2. #2ozarkag2024-03-20 21:15

    If you find that perfect rig but it's in the Midwest let me know. .. . That is about exactly what we are looking for.

  3. #3Vetech632024-03-21 08:08

    The is a million sizes of service trucks. Be more specific............gas or diesel? Large or small? Single cab? 4X4? Auto trans or manual?

  4. #4Truck Shop2024-03-21 16:17
  5. #5DMiller2024-03-21 16:36

    East Coast based and Rusted to Oblivion are Standard Issue.

  6. #6Truck Shop2024-03-21 16:42

    Really not much better out here in the west--most are kind of crusty.

  7. #7DMiller2024-03-21 17:08

    Midwest Rust belt also named appropriately!

  8. #8Mike L2024-03-21 20:51

    Mine went north of Fort Worth. Best thing I can tell you is to peruse truck paper daily. There are decent trucks out there but they move fast and aren’t cheap these days, especially 14’ body trucks. 12k crane is even harder to find. A 10k won’t do the job?

  9. #9Wiscofieldtech2024-05-13 21:47

    i just snagged a Frieghtliner M2 106, 14' body 10k crane. 6.7L red top cummins 300hp, 6spd allison. 175K 4700hrs, Found in Nebraska. Been looking for 3 months now. The hardest part is getting a guy to not sell it out from under you! Good luck! Side note, this was my first post/reply on here. I do have a question for all you guys who own trucks. I have never owned a commercial vehicle before. What do i classify my truck as through the FMSCA? I will stay in my state of wisconsin, any pointers on getting a DOT number. thanks!

  10. #10Coaldust2024-05-14 02:42

    It’s straightforward. Just follow the instructions on the FMVSA website. https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration/getting-started

  11. #11cfherrman2024-05-14 08:45

    With dot each person you ask you will get a different answer, and this includes asking dot. If you stay in state you might not need to register as a motor carrier. Call a local trooper they are very helpful here answering questions.

  12. #12Coaldust2024-05-14 12:12

    If he is engaged in “commerce” there is no way to avoid a DOT# and MCS-150. Even if he runs intrastate only.

  13. #13cfherrman2024-05-14 12:57

    There is no way to avoid commerce. Using your own truck is a truck you don't hire out.....there is a supreme Court decision on this with corn

  14. #14CM19952024-05-14 13:10

    Not in AL. Less than 26K GCWR and intrastrate does not require a DOT #. Motor Carrier Safety Unit | Alabama Law Enforcement Agency www.alea.gov Check your local state rules.

  15. #15Coaldust2024-05-14 13:14

    Interesting,… . This topic comes up as often as grease threads or what hydraulic oil I should use. lol.

  16. #16Mike L2024-05-14 14:41

    The part that always gets me is that if you ask 10 dot officers you’ll get 10 answers and they aren’t 100% certain on what they tell you. Here’s what I do. I run a us dot number on my truck, my license is intrastate so I don’t need a medical card, I register for 34k (don’t know why since my truck has a 33k gvwr) and I don’t have a fuel sticker. I go through a local weigh station fairly regularly and they barely slow me down to ask where I’m going.

  17. #17Wiscofieldtech2024-05-14 15:06

    i was on the wrong government website, i found the right stuff now. I know i need a DOT number, and i am also intrastatebut it wanted me to classify my business and nothing that was offered made any sense. thanks guys

  18. #18CM19952024-05-14 19:01

    Welcome to the Forums! Glad to have you. Sounds like you bought a nice truck. The unofficial rules state you need to post a few pics.

  19. #19Wiscofieldtech2024-05-15 12:39

    Will do ASAP! We haven't picked up the truck yet.