Someone on here sent me a link to one earlier in the year but I cannot find it. I am looking for a truck with a powered line spool that is stout enough to pull & spool 4000-5000 feet of 1" to 1-1/4" line. Even just the line winder is an option also.
This is the one I am trying to find or something similar.
Vancouver BC Craigslist, heavy equipment, seen the machine at Ritchie Bros auction in Chilliwack about a year ago,ex BC Hydro
Truck Guys BC, Donovan, 1 888 600 2872, it’s been on Craigslist for a long time, can,t remember what it went for, looked very solid. Like the ad says it needs a bath.
That rig looks like a power line sagging winch . Bob
What I thought when first saw Bluox, worked on TOO many of those.
How are they? Do they pull very hard? I want it to change skylroads with. Do they hold much line?
American Line Builders had a shop here, stored several trucks like that one. Still have a drop deck loaded with line winches just setting probably 20 years now. Trucks are long gone, all custom built.
They are more Tugger than Weight Capacity, where do need weight capacity for length of Pull line. If need a Winch for Heavy Weight Buy a Oil Field Truck with a Ballast Box.
I need pull capacity.
Need 10k of pull power at 6000 feet.
Details on the winches?
Details he says-I haven't looked at them for a long time but I will stop yesterday and take a look.
Yesterday he says....
If that puller on the trailer is still there is it the single big big drum with the Hall Scott motor? Bob
The ones art the Utility I worked at were NOT qualified that high, most were Rope Winch sets to decrease line weight and pulled ACSR cable.(Alum Conductor Steel Reinforced) not exactly light but notably less than Steel cable same dimension. The other point was they anchored the trucks with Pole Line Anchors when situated to keep from lifting them off the ground.
If you only want to pull 10,000 lbs, why do you want such big cable? I don't know anything about the logging side, but I can imagine you don't want to be replacing all the time, and the getting stuck tugging logs uphill?. The problem is weight. A 3/4" cable is over 10k cap. at a 5 to 1 design factor. At only a little over a lb. per foot. Even that if you want to pull out 5,000 ft. you have 5,000 lbs. 1 1/4" is 2.89 lbs per ft. so 5,000 ft. of it is 14,500lbs. And is going to take a lot bigger drum to hold it. 6,000' of 1 1/4" is more like marine/ offshore big deck winches, there would be a few real large lattice rigs that would have drums that size, but its pretty specialized. I'm not being critical, just curious. Because if you want to pull 10k with 1 1/4" cable at that length, you actually need to be able to pull more like 25k just for cable weight. The more you want to pull the slower it goes.
No my friend Steve bought that one, this is powered by a 6-71
I THINK that his 10k IS the cable weight. I think this would be for retrieving his highline cable to move it, not for pulling loads.
Mitch is correct. I just want to pull our large line through the brush to our tail hold & get anchored off. I will be using 7/16 line on the drum of the pulling machine to get our 1-1/4" layout made.
Far easier to pull one leg of haywire than two.
I am glad to see you said "tail hold". The 2 outfits here that highline in the swamp hook it to their "tail hole", and I have to remember not to snicker.
These drums are full it looks like with 1/2" all three and are as big as the ones on the truck above.
Thanks for clearing up my confusion. Always trying to learn something.
Area was locked so pics through the fence. Been there awhile maybe not even something your interested in. But here it is. Engine mounted on neck.
Thanks TS! I will definitely be giving them a call. It looks like something that could be modified for use.
One of the powerline outfits I worked for had a couple of D-8s fitted with 3 hydraulic winches for sagging work . The drums weren't as big as the ones on that trailer but they held a bunch of line. Something like that maybe more along the lines of what you could use? Bob
a smaller hyd unit I wiil have for sale soon
Yeah that would be difficult not to laugh at.
I would love to have one of those D8's
Haven't seen one with big drums on it but I know when there is one sitting in Tacoma. It's just in a neighborhood you're driving along there's hedges cars d8 you know whatever. It's a completely random d8 in somebody's front yard.
I would love to have one of those D8's
When I was working the water, the cable scrapper would come around with a truck with a huge spool on it and spool up all the junk cable. Nobody wants it mixed in with a bin of other metal. He carved out a niche just winding up wherever he can get it.
Just thinking out loud. I wonder if one could mount a large drum above the winch on a log skidder. It could perhaps be powered off the empty skidder winch drum via larger roller chain. Many of the skidders from the 80s had huge power on the winches.
http://www.maslonkapowerline.com/rentals/pullers/
those last two look like proper beasts!
A bunch cheaper to have it on a trailer instead of the maintenance, license, insurance tied up in a vehicle that is only used for one certain task. If a trailer can work.
Yes, or that dozer.
There's D-8's everywhere for sale hell you don't even need a blade on it, cut that worthless piece of crap off it and hang a drum on the back
I was thinking the ready-built one that somebody mentioned, but yes you could roll-your-own. It could also serve as a tail hole
Blade makes the 8 worth more for site work in between, and use is necessary for Ballast.
The truck is a requirement so it could drive around the woods and get down these nasty old overgrown spur roads across the canyons. I will just throw it on the lowboy if I have to run it down any major highways that are out of my area but out here on the harbor we sneak stuff down the highways that would make people other than farmers on the East Side cringe. The D8 is good for a tailhold because we bury that blade down into the ground and that thing is not moving.
That outfit has some real nice setups. I should do that with my twinsteer truck.
Then it may as well be a brand new D10, nobodies looking right? Those are cheap.
I saw they were in spokane and thought that was close enough for you to go look at. Scott-macon is closer to me and they build a lot of custom high line work equipment also, they show single line trailer mounted pullers on their website. You could remount the trailer set up truckshop posted on your twinsteer.
That powerline place also showed pics of a d8 with military surplus winches mounted to a ripper bar. That wouldn't be too hard to make.
Have you ever given the drone a thought and using spectra? Mark has a pretty good setup, using that rope cuts way down on the size of truck and drum needed. It doesn't replace the truck I guess but pretty cool all the same. https://www.pacificuavtech.com/
I have. You can't fly in bad weather, you still have to have a line truck in addition to the pickup mounted rope spooler or fly two legs & use the yarder drum to change and he is double the cost of the drones other guys use up here & have less lifting power than them. Its a cool idea but I don't think its for us yet.
. Power line work, 1980, either a D7g or f,can,t remember.
If I wanted truck and wanted used and it came on a ready made truck unless there was an absolute reason wouldnt want to remount it to something else just cause I had it.
Well, we bought this one. Wired funds today.
Old iron nose Paystar Will serve well as a limited duty beast
I like the fact it has a drive axle in front, can be used to change roads, has enough weight & traction to snub trucks or the yarder and best of all..... Was cheap.
Would be sharp with some paint. Doesn't look all beat and busted.
It will get washed down with full strength big Z, rolled in the shop and sprayed black with a red hoist.
Yup, way to paint it. Its worth it as people take care of it better, attracts less scrutiny in some sense when it's not so ratty. Just looks safer. We got this ax men show comes on. I don't really watch it. The equipment is cool but got to wonder about the insurance carriers watching these guys in action. The best show of this type was swamp loggers. Goodson is a really good pusher. He is right at home running a production gang with lots of moving pieces.
https://www.rbauction.com/1997-120b...vId=12511450&id=ci&auction=chicago-il-2021164 Saw this up for sale and thought of this thread.
We used similar ones with anchors spread 4 ways to move the pile driving barges when I first started out in the early 70s working for G.F. Atchison out of Long Beach. Only we had Detroit's on them all.
That would work for sure.
i have a oil field winch i took of a truck sitting at my shop all frame brackets with
Any photos?
This came up for sale by me, and I thought of this thread. $100,000 is a lot of money, but I don't think you see too many that will handle 10,000' of 3/4" cable. Looks to me like they are set up to free spool also. 171 FPM sounds kind of slow for that big of a drum. But it may have a high side. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/480157736973714/?ref=browse_tab&referral_code=marketplace_general&referral_story_type=general&tracking={"qid":"-5701615810526820040","mf_story_key":"989878214711917319","commerce_rank_obj":"{\"target_id\":989878214711917319,\"target_type\":6,\"primary_position\":4,\"ranking_signature\":3574679225803735040,\"commerce_channel\":501,\"value\":0.00015917706744413,\"upsell_type\":3516,\"candidate_retrieval_source_map\":{\"5903522819682312\":3003,\"5303904109647008\":3502,\"4830301487070602\":3004,\"5320325258044720\":3003,\"5344303352321562\":3003,\"5339178022786558\":702},\"grouping_info\":null}","lightning_feed_qid":"-5701615947882260510","lightning_feed_ranking_signature":"6985887989117222912","ftmd_400706":"111112l"} Timberland ATEP 220-24DH Erection Hoist $100,000 Listed 18 hours ago in Chelsea, OK Message Details Condition Used - Good Cat Diesel power unit 225HP 10,000 ft of 3/4 in cable on each drum with a double drum configuration. SLP capacity of 23,800 LBS at 171 FPM.
What the hell is that doing in Oklahoma? {Timberland} The only trees in Oklahoma are fake.
Ah but the Motherload of White Oak is but two states away in MO and AR!! Could have been used on River Traffic work, tie off and drag hulls upstream.
Well they need to start logging that white oak-mow it down and make houses out of it. Every house in the mid west should be made out of White Oak-----Tornado proof. All nails have to be driven by hand.
Too busy cutting them for White Oak whiskey barrels!! Barns of White Oak mortice and tenon jointed post and beam, are some of the most durable and long lived out there. Just not affordable these days
They sure are. I did some siding repair on a couple of old barns recently and was just impressed at the quality and longevity of the construction. If the owners will maintain the roof and siding, they'll last almost indefinitely. The one barn I worked on was a 1950's build, the other was built around 1885. The 1885 barn is in really great shape, and is all mortise and tenon/ wooden dowel construction. All of the original timbers are hand hewn. No fasteners or mechanically sawn timber except for modern repairs or upgrades. It has been in the same family for 4 generations since it was built. They have actively maintained it for their farming operations and the care shows. Roofline doesn't even sag. The 1950s barn was built by the previous owner for his dairy operation. My grandpa bought his farmstead upon his passing in 2002, so I am very familiar with this facility. I knew Mr. Houser when I was a kid. A strong man of short stature, he was only about 5' 4". There isn't a 6ft doorway in that entire barn. Mr. Houser cleared 10 acres of oak off his land to generate the logs needed to make the lumber. A sawyer milled his logs, then Mr. Houser built his barn. Approximately 60x80, stanchion barn with a full hay loft, he made his own arch trusses. By the time my grandpa bought the barn, the floor of the hay loft was in desperate need of repair, that it never received. We don't do loose hay or small squares, so we never put any extra effort into that maintenance. The exterior of the barn is kept up with, as we do raise heifer calves in the bottom of the barn. We've raised heifers at that farm for well over 20 years. Not the most efficient of facilities for doing so, but we made do with what was available.
Growing up the son of a third generation farmer I know exactly what you mean Colson. “We can use this…” Valuable life lessons.
Do they have to be new nails?
Yes you can use your bucket of used nails if you like. Don't hit your thumb.