Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking for advice on new excavator

big sig ยท 2017-03-30 17:55

Hey guys, looking for some help deciding which excavator to go with. Looking at either a 2014 cat 336e with between 1300 and 3300 hours or a new link belt 350x4. The cats are priced 235 and 190 respectively, and the link belt has 120 hours as a demo and is priced at 257. I have a 210LX and a 320e, both of which I am keeping. I have had a 2800 And 4300 link belt and liked them both. The 320 I have seems to rock a little compared to the 210. We have a cat dealer 15 minutes away and link belt is an hour. It's hard for me to look at a used machine for those prices and see that I can buy a new link belt for not a tremendous amount more. A new cat was priced at 312 and that's definitely out of my price range. We have not had any luck finding a used link belt. Has anyone had experience with one or both of these machines? Thanks in advance!

Replies7
  1. #1cuttin edge2017-03-30 18:41

    We have a couple of Linkbelts, they seem like good machines so far.

  2. #2big sig2017-03-30 19:11

    Do y'all have any x4 machines?

  3. #3CM19952017-03-30 19:31

    The 336E for 1300 hours on the clock for $235K is a better deal than the 3300 hour machine for $190k. 2000 hours less for $45K more is a no brainer comparing those machines. That's buying 2K hours at $22.50 per hour compared to the 1300 hour machine at $59 per hour the original owner paid for those 1300 hours. Locally we have been without a Linkbelt dealer for several years, recently I noticed a new LB dealer has set up a small shop with a few new excavators on the lot. On the flip side since you own LB's and have experience with them $20K more for a new machine is hard to pass by as well.

  4. #4jprefect2017-03-30 19:41

    I don't know about new link belts. I'm not a fan of them and have operated a couple of them. They seem tippie and kinda weak. The 336 we is very strong but it's kinda slow my opinion.

  5. #5cuttin edge2017-03-30 20:28

    No we have a couple 145x3 spin aces. Our larger machines are a 330 and a 350 Deere, a 485 and 350 Kobelco. We have an older 320 and it has been a great machine, but this will probably be the last summer for it as it has almost 18000 hrs on it.

  6. #6big sig2017-03-31 08:02

    Yeah I think I'm more interested in the lower houred cat vs the 350. We are going to be digging dirt that is mainly red clay. On our 4300 we had a 60" 2.75 yard bucket. As for buckets on the cat machines it looks like we were either a 60" 2.4 yard or 72" 3.08 yard. Will the machine handle the 72" bucket? And do y'all know if cat rates them as struck or heaped?

  7. #7Shimmy12017-04-01 01:19

    Depends on how hard the dirt is. I dig pits with a 72" 1.75 yd bucket on my 210C. As long as I'm not trying to dig into a rockpile, it handles it just fine. Can't imagine a 350 is going to complain a whole lot with a 3 yard bucket. Clintm is down in your area. He has a 350C. He might be able to give you some good info on bucket sizes.