Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking For An Old 5&4 With A Detroit

joedirt ยท 2008-06-19 00:02

I know what your thinking. Who in there right mind would want this combo.:beatsme Anyhow, anyone know where I can find something like this real cheap? I was hoping to spend under 5K for one if possible. I don't care if its a dump, flat, or just tractor. I remember driving these as a kid and hated them. Now I cant find one, well a cheap one. Thanks Joe :usa

Replies24
  1. #1tuney4432008-06-19 08:34

    Joe--I had a '73 Jimmy with a 6V-53 and 5+4 sticks 10 wheel dump for 20 years until I sold it 6 years ago to an acquaintance who needed it for his own site work for his new house.I think he's done by now.I could ask,but I see you're out West.Shifting that beast weakened my left knee,I couldn't imagine driving it that far,I suppose you could trailer it.Let me know and I'll ask also--it's only a phone call.Just called-no time like the present--he said he's almost done with it and he might sell it.PM me and I'll give you the info.

  2. #2euclid2008-06-19 10:24

    I learned how to drive a stick in an old International gas 5X4 and man did it suck! That old engine was just tired and it took forever to get a load out on site. I mean I was 15 or 16 at the time and had nothing but time, but anytime I could run our uke I was ready to go!

  3. #3celticcrusader2008-06-20 20:56

    there is a scrap yard near me, they have some of that stuff unless he scrapped it since the price of scrap is so high, the other problem is I am in N.J.

  4. #4Freightrain2008-06-26 14:23

    Wow....good luck with the search. Not a whole lot of that stuff around, unless it's hiding in the bushes. Probably won't find too many people willing to run that stuff daily. I run my Mack on the weekends, and that's bad enough after 7 yrs of it. Wouldn't be so bad if it had more power as you wouldn't have to shift as much. Saw an ol KW in CA on truckpaper with 318 in it, but was not two stick.

  5. #5surfer-joe2008-06-26 22:55

    5X4's brings back memories. Haven't seen one in a long, long time. They were a good combination with a good 318 Jimmie.

  6. #6GaryKelley2008-07-01 01:12

    Joe Dirt...did you have any luck yet? there is an equipment guy here in town that had (has) a 60's era pete with a 5&4 and I'm thinking a 335, I drove it one summer cause nodboyd else knew how. Also, I think if you were to contact some of the logging outfits in southern oregon, popular gear set ups for them, for the older stuff...you might even find a 6&5 somewhere. TWICE as much fun as one stick..

  7. #7joedirt2008-07-01 17:25

    Still Looking Thanks for the replies fellas. Still looking though. I may have found one in Las Vegas but its only a single axle. :usa PS..... I never new there was a 6&5 trans..

  8. #8trucker12008-07-01 19:49

    Click on the following link, check out their classified section, generally quite a few of those old chestnuts for sale there. Antique Truck Historical Society. Join up for $42 a year. Great association concerned with Antique Trucks. http://www.aths.org/ George

  9. #9special tool2008-07-02 08:08

    Ha-ha...don't blame you. The '62 Autocar DC87OH in my avatar is 5 with 4speed "brownie". It is in perfect condition and gets used a lot, as a site truck. Ct. DOT doesn't like the old style tractor power steering with all the rod ends. Engine is NH250 (855). I can almost out slow my loader with it in 1st gear/1.

  10. #10Sharky2008-08-07 02:26

    5X4 is one of the best transmissions ever made, As some folk say. We run them all the time, as matter of fact I drove it today with a 8V92 Jimmy. It's for sale, but not in that price range. Actually, they are real easy to drive once you get the hang of it. I got tossed in one on a camp job for 4 months straight, Steep mountainsides and full loads all day long. That was 14 years ago, I eventually got really good at it, but still stick the brownie once in a while. Real easy to get undone, so long as you know what your doing, otherwise, call someone who does. ointhead

  11. #11sawz52008-08-10 22:41

    i owned a kw with 335&4x4 i loved that transmission except for being hard to get in reverse it was a joy to work. i always wanted a 6&5 in longnose pete.

  12. #12RollOver Pete2008-08-11 01:54

    You could put just about any main box in front of a auxiliary tranny. Years ago, I dropped a 10 sp. in a Pete that had a 5x4. Nothing wrong with a 10 x 4. Actually, a 10 x 4 is a real nice combo. You shift the 10 sp. just like a 10 sp. with the aux. in direct. On the top side, you still have another OD gear which brings your RPM's down around 14-1600 @ 70 mph depending on your rears. If working under a grinder, you have 2 lower gears (low, under) to choose from. Since most dump trucks seem to be re-born large cars with tall gears, low gear is never low enough. Imagine never having to slip your clutch trying to go slow. Now, add some 2 sp. rears...... Yeah, thats a Big Truck!

  13. #13D4E SA2008-08-28 23:31

    Pete witha Jimmy and a 2 stick In the truck paper there is a 60s 351 Pete 3 axle conv.318 and a 2 stick $3500.00 located in California

  14. #14joedirt2008-09-03 20:09

    Thanks for the reply D4E SA. My dad lives near there and I'm going to see if he can check it out. We'll see.:thumbsup

  15. #15Chaz Murray2008-09-09 18:39

    did ya ever check out that truck? How did it look?

  16. #16tonka2008-09-09 19:33

    this 1? http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=1826962&guid=2AAA621CBD274D3C805FD94B91BD5C20

  17. #17Chaz Murray2008-09-09 20:01

    I think thats it....If I had the spare cash layin around I would pick that thing up...I need something to fill up my garage

  18. #18tonka2008-09-09 20:14

    yea and it in your neck of the woods to......hehe

  19. #19Chaz Murray2008-09-09 20:25

    yup....but have plenty of other things around the house that needs my attn. before buyin another toy

  20. #20joedirt2008-10-07 23:31

    Found my truck!!! Here she is, 1968 Pete with a Detroit 318 and a 5 and 4 trans. Picked it up in Reno Nevada and actually drove it back to Kingman Arizona without a hitch. Slung oil from one side of the state to the other and loved it. Haven't had much time to work on it yet but definitely finding an electrical nightmare so far. Got to run but would take any advice on how to fix it up on a cheap budget.. Thanks Joe :usa

  21. #21surfer-joe2008-10-08 00:41

    More memories. Not many of them good. Always hated working on engines in flappy side-hood long-nose tractors, particularly Detroits. Just never could find a good soft spot to place your knees you know, or anything else for that matter. A big size guy like me just didn't fit well working on trucks or cars. This old Pete doesn't look too bad, though all the wires hanging down under the dash is pretty typical for an old rig. You may have some electrical situations......soon!....... Looks like it's set up with a wet kit and 260 air conditioning. First thing you might want to do is get rid of those cartridge style fuel and oil filters. You can get spin-on adapters and filters at NAPA fairly reasonably and they sure make servicing a lot easier and cleaner. It's actually a bit hard to find someone that carries cartridge filters for a Detroit anymore -- at decent prices. I'm surprised that it only has a single exhaust. Rare to find a V-8 Jimmie set up like that. Cheaper though. It had Budds too, much better than West Virginia Wobblers. Looks like whoever had it took pretty decent care of it inside and out. Good Luck!

  22. #22Chaz Murray2008-10-08 02:05

    Ya know...that just looks like too much of a mess to work on...Ill take it off your hands for ya free of charge No really....nice lookin old rig.:drinkup

  23. #23LowBoy2008-10-08 05:04

    I second that emotion...only I'd have you drive it to New England. That is, if you could strap a 275 gallon tank of oil on the roof and pipe it in so you didn't have to stop every 200 miles to top her off... Honestly joedirt, that's a nice find. I had a '72 that came from Salt Lake City back around 1986 that I bought semi-wrecked for $1,500.00! Tri State Motor Transit delivered it to Providence, RI where I picked it up at the piers for another $1,500.00 (talk about difference in rates/fuel prices from then till now,) so I had a whopping 3K invested to get it home. It was originally Yamaha powered, but converted to a small cam 400 Cummins (thank God.) Had a 5X4 too. The truck had Hendrickson suspension because it was a lowbed tractor, and it jack knifed with a D-8 on, snapping the right side aluminum frame rail and crunching the right side of the Kenworth sleeper it had on it, which I didn't want anyway. About a month after I got her home, I had Peterbilt predrill out a set of frame rails for a 312" wheelbase. I did that because a guy at the time around home had a 300" home-built KW, and I just had to have that extra foot, being young and stupid. I used the auxiliary box as the "hanger bearing" to eliminate the need for another carrier bearing because the length worked out right. Problems arose when I went to slide the first rail into place one Saturday; Peterbilt messed up when they drilled the rails and the only thing that lined up was the front crossmember...everything else was off a 1/2 inch. So, there went my extra foot of wheelbase. It was back to the drawing board with a magdrill, punching my own holes. Peterbilt engineers admitted their guilt, and compensated me for the blunder thankfully. I'll dig around in the archives to see if I can find the pictures of the old girl. I had a good time working on that truck. Always wanted a narrow windshield, wide hooded Pete. Still do...

  24. #24Freightrain2008-10-14 16:32

    Nice find Joe. Looks pretty solid still, thought a few hundred drivers cut up the wiring adding every little trinket they bought at a truck stop! Might be better to rip'r out and start fresh then try to patch up what's there. Some people hate Painless Wiring kits, but might work ok for a toy? You could always isolate the big draw circuits with relays.