Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Question about Illinois CDL

Deere9670 ยท 2008-06-18 14:12

Im a 19 year old that works on a farm in Illinois, and was wondering if anyone knew the rules on driving a semi and straight truck for farm use. I already drive, but if I need a cdl, I guess I better just get one if I can. I have read the cdl rules but they are confusing. It said somthing about not needing one for farm use,but thats if your related to the farmer which im not. I am also aware of the rule that you need to be 21, but I think they make a exception for farmer. Is there anyone from Illinois out there that can clear this up for me?

Replies7
  1. #1Steve Frazier2008-06-18 16:26

    Printed from DMV.org:

  2. #2Steve Frazier2008-06-18 16:30

    Also:

  3. #3Deere96702008-06-18 16:37

    Thanks steve for finding that for me. So its sounds like I will need to get some type of lincense, but it sounds as if its not a full out cdl. Ill have to go to the dmv which is gonna be lots of fun! LOL

  4. #4bob b2008-06-21 20:39

    You should just get your class A if you can the when you turn 21 you can drive were ever you want.

  5. #5mikef872008-06-21 20:41

    You can get a CDL at 18 and drive within your own state, and when you turn 21 you can drive out of state.

  6. #6DFARM2008-06-22 22:05

    Cdl You don't have to have a CDL for the straight truck. I wasn't sure about the semi, as we all have CDLs and use the semi to haul other grain besides just our own. It's probably a good idea to get the CDL anyway.

  7. #7Deere96702008-06-22 22:36

    Ok thanks for the info. I like driving the straight truck over the semi, so ill probley just go this year without the cdl because if I get the cdl the boss will probley stick me on the truck all day and night, and running the combine will be out of the picture!