Hello all, Just thought I would see if anyone has some info on what this "hook" is for? It's only on 1 side of my semi U blade (opposite side of the tilt cylinder), the guy I bought the dozer from said he used it to push down smaller trees, but I'm wondering if that is its intended purpose, or is it really for something else, and IF so, what IS its real purpose??? Thanks for any and all input on this. Cheers, JD Dozerman
You need to revise your dozer in your equipment list after new SALT u/c you need to add with hook thing on right side of blade. Hell if I know.
:idea Maybe it's for "hooking" any fine looking female types I see in the work area??? :beatsme It's got me stumped too!!! JD
For clearing trees.Hook up high on the tree get more leverage then low down on the blade with the corner bit.Puts a lot more pressure on the blade linkage tho!
Yair . . . Hi JDDozerman . 'Back when' we used to have similar hooks on angle blades for hooking trees away from fence lines. Clearing lines used to be a big part of outback dozer work in the fifty's and sixty's. I used to make them a little different in-as-much as they were longer and I also had the same profile on the back so you could grab an awkward tree and flick it away from the wires in reverse . . . on this sort of work it was always best to have an 'offsider'(groundman?) as the root-balls and roots would often come up underneath the wires. Cheers.
It might be for clearing trees but I'm pretty sure its for pushing in fenceposts. Very common in this part of the world and a very quick way to put in posts if the ground is right.
Hello all, Thanks for all the great input, and info, all of what you say makes sense, in fact I can really see where it might come in handy for the fence lines, of which I have PLENTY I need to clear, so maybe it will make that job a bit easier! @ Scrub Puller, hello back at ya, after reading what you posted I may try to modify this one a bit, so it could work both directions if needed, seems like a bright idea. @BDFT, that's an interesting idea, using it to put in fence posts, I do believe I will give that a whack as well, and see how it works out. @ Construct'O, I do see your point about the added stress, I will only use it for the smaller trees, so I don't think it will make too much difference, but I will be keeping a close eye on it. Thanks again guys for all the great info, I really appreciate it! Cheers, JD Dozerman
How far does it stick out JD? I was actually going to weld one on my blade before the nice weather gets here and was undecided on how long to make it...