Hi folks, I'm new here, but have spent the past week or so browsing the forum, and it looks like you've built a friendly, supportive community. I've been particularly interested in the numerous threads where people have posted questions related to getting into the industry as an operator. Much valuable advice given here from experienced operators. That being said... It's now time for me to make a post along those lines as well. I was wondering if anyone would be able to chime in regarding advice related to Toronto (and for that matter, Ontario) for any of the following such as: - Is the work quite seasonal, or do you manage to stay employed all year round? - Have you been employed for most of your HEO career, or were there significant times when you were laid off? I know construction is cyclical, as is the economy, but can you earn a decent living, or is it really feast or famine every couple of years? - Is anyone part of IUOE 793? Ideally, I would prefer to do an apprenticeship through them. Is there a large wait list, would you recommend this route, etc? - Do you see an increased demand for operators in the future (taking into account average age of the industry, retirements, etc.)? I know Ontario Job Futures lists employment prospects for the immediate future for HEOs as good, but do you really think that is the case? - Would you recommend specializing in a particular area/piece of equipment to start to make yourself more valuable/in demand year round? For example, IUOE 793 offers training on each of TLB, excavator, dozer and grader. I was thinking of starting on TLB if given the choice. - If you live in a big city (such as Toronto, or say Ottawa), are you able to get most of your work there or in the surrounding area, or do you have to do a lot more traveling? I appreciate any thoughts on any of this, especially from fellow Ontarians & Canadians on here that may have region-specific information. Once again, great site and I hope to hear from some of you! Cheers.
Hmm... I guess the busy time of year for work and nobody wants to be indoors infront of computer ;-) Feel free to give me your $0.02 on anything and you will have the satisfaction of knowing you helped out a stranger. Thanks!
I visited Toronto in march and spoke with PCL, Aecon and Carillion. There is a lot of work in toronto, especially with P3 contracts, hospitals and high rise condominiums in the cbd. I was informed that work is plentiful for the next 5 years at least. If you want to make the money then head further afield than ther big cities. aecon pay you double for working in remote locations.
Hi Piltownmax - thanks for responding, I appreciate the info. Sorry for the delay (I stopped checking the forum for a bit and assumed I would be emailed if there was a response as other forums sometimes do).
Hi...you can change your settings so you will get an email.
Ah...cool, thx. I will adjust my settings then.
The time I spent residing in Toronto back in the late 80's and 90's had me working for a few large Heavy Hwy Contractors. One was D. Crupi and Sons, the other was The Miller Group. Both have some type of web presence. I suggest you start searching for information related to projects you wish to be involved in. Dirtwork? Mining? Asphalt? Homebuilding? You may want to specify what type of equipment you are interested in versus what type of work you may find available. This type of work is frequently not advertised, in person visits are a good idea. Pay attention to the jobsite and see if there is somewhere you may fit in even if it means you start in a ditch with a shovel or holding a flag for traffic. In Winter, Metro GTA do quite a bit of searching for snow plow and salter operators, EVERY year.... Both those companies have multiple asphalt plants in the GTA. Both have operations in during winter pertaining to snow removal, they will keep you busy once you are in the door. All they ever asked of me was to have a valid CDL and a willing attitude. The local operators unions are pretty much worthless and had no control over the city contracts both winter and summer. Anything you have to add pertaining to not be qualified is something you will have to over come mentally. Its all out there all you have to do is go get it.
Thanks for the advice milling_drum. I'll take a look at those web sites to get a bit of an idea about what those companies are involved in. Makes sense that this industry its like that of other construction trades, i.e. jobs aren't advertised outright as say white-collar occupations are, instead you have to make contact with them directly or use your "network" to find out who is hiring/looking for help. And thanks for the words of encouragement. When looking to try something new, as with many things in life, it's not so much about what you already know, but the attitude that you take which determines whether you will be successful or not.
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I can't make any yet and idk how long til I can. Does anyone recommend the heavy equipment operator courses? I know in Alberta there are a few, and to get a decent amount of hours on machines it is 10k+. I have over 4 years experience in equipment, but it is in a gravel pit, or on the farm dozing trees down. And I wanna be able to bring land to grade, and just get a better understanding of the other pieces of equipment I haven't run yet. So far I have ran (in order of most to least experience) Wheel loaders, excavators, backhoe, dozer, and then little stuff like skid steers and random stuff. I just wanna know if these courses are a rip off, or if they won't help me getting a new job (need outta the pit, to repetitive). Again sorry for the hijacking.