Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking for Caterpillar D6 operators

Bigdozerfun ยท 2018-04-18 10:20

Howdy, Thought I would start here with the experts. I'm sending out a quick feeler to see if anyone who owns and operates CAT D6 dozers can help. We are starting to shoot a new video series and one of our first episodes will be about the D6 line of dozers. The program is for kids from 4 to 7 years old and we want to go into a little technical detail about the different models and what makes them special. It would require a day or two putting up with myself and a couple video guys following the equipment as it works. We are 22 year video industry veterans having worked on projects from aircraft carriers to pit row at NASCAR events so we know how to stay out of the way. Happy to share any and all video of your equipment and make promotional content for your company in exchange for the help. Fully insured, and happy to buy lunch. We are located in Michigan but will be all over the country this spring and summer on this mission. Thanks for your time.

Replies8
  1. #1old-iron-habit2018-04-21 22:57

    How about some operating antique ones? You can show the kids what grandpa or great grandpa got so dirty on as they built this nations infrastructure.

  2. #2ol'stonebreaker2018-04-21 23:29

    Good idea, OIH!! I'd love for folks to see video of an old cat & can or an old friction dragline with a camera on the operator's platform recording all the motion of feet and hands with another camera recording what the machine is doing at the same time. A good dragline operator is pure poetry in motion!! Mike

  3. #3Tinkerer2018-04-22 16:52

    I worked on pipelines in the late 1960's. The operators cleaning the the ditches (48 inches) were an amazing thing to see.

  4. #4Bigdozerfun2018-04-23 08:11

    Those are all great ideas - I've spent a few days last summer rolling video on a big dragline here in Michigan and the sound on the recording was amazing. After a little watching you could tell how far the bucket would swing just by how good of a toss the operator did. I had a large drone right over top of it and it will help tell a cool story. The idea for the videos is to get a child thinking about how a piece of equipment works. YouTube is filled with thousands and thousands of really awesome video but I want to steer the kids back away from youtube and getting this content online. My goal is to get a child and parent out looking at these in real life and notice everything they see on the DVD's. I'm not sure how far back the D6 line of dozers goes but starting with some old iron is a perfect beginning. If you know of some... I'll travel to it. eric

  5. #5old-iron-habit2018-04-23 17:58

    Sent you a PM.

  6. #6petepilot2018-08-20 20:01

    well what if anything came of this idea?

  7. #7DMiller2018-08-26 16:22

    Earliest 6's were Cable, 2S, 9U are s/n prefixes I have in my notes.

  8. #8farmboy5552018-08-28 06:22

    Old cats with pony engines & cable operated blade would be something to show kids and now they operate with just joy stick.