What is everyones opinin on water transfer pumps. I have always ran either a 1" Honda or a 2" Honda trash pump for my dewatering needs but my 2" pump has been getting harder to prime every time I need it. I had a 4" water main break late Saturday night. The carb was gummed up from bad gas and I had to take the bowl off and clean it out real good to get it to fire. It almost started then I broke the pull rope took the recoil starter off and got it to fire by just wrapping the rope around the end of the crank shaft. I got it fixed all proper now, however I feel as I should upgrade before the inevitable happens. I am considering an electric submerged pump but have no experience with them. Are they better worse or the same? I know they have about half the gpm and don' really know if that will be enuf or not.
The impeller needs shimmed or replaced, or the inlet flap is bad. Parts are easy on hondas. Trash pumps come apart easy for inspection. As for electric, the problems move to the generator.
It might need a new mechanical seal. If it was run dry or got an air leak it doesn't take long to wear the seal out. Always fill with water before starting.
Add Sea Foam or a similar product to any infrequently used gas burner.
We started running the recreational fuel seems to of helped quite a bit on the small engines
What is recreation fuel? Never heard of that. But either way I'm needing a new pump just trying to decide gas or electronic. If I go gas maybe this "rec fuel" would be a good thing to just start from new?
Premium no ethanol.
Even trash pumps, over time, don't like sand/dirt as it wears the volute down making priming difficult. A new impeller and volute will probably cure the slow priming or place some modeling clay several places on the dry volute, apply a thin coat of grease to the impeller faces that meet the volute. Carefully reassemble the pump and then remove the pump housing. With careful use of a caliper with depth probe on the clay that got mashed you can find how much shim is needed to get the impeller back close to the volute. Mike
It has no alcohol in it. Alcohol is hydroscopic which attracts water