Anyone own or operated a Gehl 7810? Any known problems with these or??? We're thinking of buying used 2004 model just looking for some input, thanks.
I have the Mustang 2109 same machine slightly different paint ,500 hrs ,only problem ,need a new alternator ,is a big machine all around ,if I put a lot of hrs and needed replaced Ill do it again, the size fits my needs .I don't know what your going to use it for ,can you elaborate a little more?
Just for general purpose stuff, I used to run a 7610 a few years back for a company. It was a good machine to operate the company I worked for just didn't maintain their equipment. For instance they had an old fuel transfer tank that was sitting half full for 5 years and a supervisor decided to fill that machine and JD 690 with the old fuel an they had nothing but problems with those 2 pieces of equipment. Now we're looking at buying a used 2004 7810 with 1500 hours on it. I have ran pretty much every kind of skid loader there is wheel and rubber track. I like the T-bar controls for finish grading and the power for demolition.
I can't remember if the '04 7810 has the Cummins engine or Perkins. If it is the Perkins, I would suggest you pass unless you can get it for a steal. When the 7810 or Mustang 2109 came out there were a number of electrical issues and support issues with the Perkins engine (not from the dealers, but from Perkins). It was so bad that Gehl/Mustang had to change to Cummins after a short amount of time. When that happened they were able to change some other subtle things within the 7810 / 2109 and the interface with the electronics in relation to the engine. The only issues that I know of is that the machine is so big that it generally is used for heavier duty applications that it is intended. I used an older Mustang 2105 to carry a grain unloader around the farm and actually flattened the front tires because the machine could lift it, but it was well heavier than was supposed to operate with - so the tires let me know. The Gehl T-bar is one of the best loader control designs for fine touch and especially for applications such as cold planing. In Europe you can actually find Gehl units with a joystick drive control (CAT type) and Gehl T-bar Loader control. I saw this combo on a Mustang unit at World of Concrete in Vegas years back, but apparently never received much interest or they never promoted it.
Shameless as you know the 2105 came with the Yanmar ,when they went to 2109 the first couple of years had the Perkins, witch is the one I have and is ok Perkins has been around for a long time, but to be honest I like Cummins a lot more that anything else in the market, that said I got 500 hrs on my machine with no troubles except an alternator , and I expect many more ,with 115 hp I think is the most powerful skid steer out there and like you said, so far I haven't find anything that I can't lift with this machine, when ever there is something that looks too heavy I'm always paying attention to the tires ,there is a salesman here that was asked witch was the strongest skid steer his ever seen? his answer was the 2109 with the VTS on it, he said that he saw that machine lift a regular wheeled 2109 off the ground I can't remember who it is but I know is one of the regular guys here on this site ,so if hes reading this he can probably make a comment about that experience.
This particular one has a Perkins, T-bar controls, and about 1500 hrs. on it and they're asking $19,500 for it with tracks, smooth bucket, and forks. The 7610 I ran I think had a Cummins in it and and T-bar controls and it was a monster on demo jobs and the best machine I ever ran for fine tune finish grading. I know it had isssue with the wheel studs because it had foam filled tires and tracks, but the contractor I worked for NEVER did any kind of maintenance work until it was broke down.
Hi 2109 Stang, There is picture of a 2109 that has a Bobcat 743 picked up to max lift. It was taken @ the Georgia Mustang dealership. Mr. Lift should have it somewhere in their picture archives. I will see if I can find it. Please don't get me wrong the units with Perkins are strong, just Perkins factory service support was terrible back then and there were numerous problems with the mother boards having to be replaced in the early 2109 series as that engine is an EFI and allowed for all kinds of possibilites with force feedback joysticks, remote controls etc.. Perkins did not allow the local dealer nor Mustang / Gehl to work on the engines for warranty at that time other then regular service. As it went the Yamar was a solid, strong engine, but stopped making the 110 H.P. size, the Perkins elevated the torque and power and then the Cummins allowed for the best torque curve, but fuel consumption increased. I believe they are still using a B3.3 Cummins or updated version of that size and have the H.P. turned down to 99. Either way, any engine, great, impressive machine!
amscontr That is a good price on unit with the tracks and attachments. Those units new decked out with all options will run upwards of $50K+. Many people are scared of the Gehl T-bar since they are not dual lever / foot or joystick. If someone spent 1/2 a day running the Gehl T-bar they would really see easy of control, coordinated turning, ease of finish grade etc...and most times would really end up liking the control. You can always check recent auction history on Ritchie Bros. ( www.rbauction.com ) or Iron Planet ( www.ironplanet.com ) to give you a good gauge of re-sell pricing.
Shameless is there a way you can find that picture and post it here, I would like to see how they did it ,I have done that with my friends 763 but only about 12 inches off the ground, because we were using straps and didn't want to risk dropping the machine,and guess what ,no photos were taken, so if you can please post it here for all of us, thanks in advance.
The price is kind of what scares me, most of the '04/'05 models I've seen were in the mid 20' to lower 30's. Also I'm wondering why they switched from the 115 hp. Perkins to the 99 hp Cummins in the "E" models?
amscontr: what are the specs on this machine ,you're right this machines are from the 20s to 30s,Im thinking it might be a plane Jane, they probably switched to the Cummins because is more popular here in the US, better deal and warranty support .
It has the Perkins engine, open cab, T-bar controls, tracks, forks and bucket with 1500 hrs. From the pictures of I received it looks with normal wear and tear and the tires look worn. Supposedly it's a one owner machine. I just don't want to dump 20 grand into something that's junk or full of issues.
2109 Stang - I will see if I can find that pic. What we found is that a dual lever / foot can do it, but the same machine in Pilot controls will not. The Pilot controls have reliefs set that limit.
amscontr: Take a look at the www.rbauction.com site and www.ironplanet.com and see comparisons. Also check out Machinery Trader for your area and surrounding to price shop (you will typically see a lot of 7810s in the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast). Keep in mind that the over tire tracks add approx. $3K. Since it is a Gehl T-bar and not dual lever / foot or Pilot control you may have room to negiotiate - as it would be a harder sell to someone who is not used to that control. Just take a look at the comparisons so that you have a base line to negiotiate with. Just keep in mind that the tracks add $3K (assuming you need them), set of forks for 7810 approx. $600 (you can find a set of standard duty forks for a Skid under $450, but the 7810 needs Heavy Duty forks for what it can do) and make sure the bucket is in good shape with no cracks in the cutting edge. Gehl / Mustang switched to Cummins from Perkins primarily due to change in engine specs by Perkins and massive price increase to accompany those changes from Perkins. The reason for dropping the 115 H.P. to 99 H.P. was due to the Emission standards and requirements for units over 100 H.P. were much more stringent and expensive to comply than units rated under 100 H.P. I hope that helps.
amscontr: Also the reason for the 'E' series on the Skids loaders was due to the 40 series hitting the market and having two separate bouts with bad drive motors from Poclain throughout the line. Poclain was forced to do a massive recall twice. Once the issue was completely solved and Poclain improved their QC Gehl updated and released the entire Skid Loader line 3640 - 7810 as the 'E' series with some other notable and very good updates to the units. Mustang was also affected by Poclain, but not to the extend the Gehl brand was.
Hi I'm new here. I have a question about my Gehl 4640 E / 2008. Does this model still have problems with the Poclain drivemotors. Thanks for the answer!
Hi Fabi, No issue - the problems were before the 'E' series and a global campaign should have covered any units affected.
For me any machine with a Cummins inside would be a plus. If I could not have gotten the Deutz running I was going to try and cram a 4BT in my Bobcat 863. As for oddball controls the Gehl and Mustangs always had some kind of T-bar system available. The Gehls I have seen had two T-bar levers sticking out and were not much different than the Bobcat sticks in operation. The Mustangs had the center lever with linkages to the right/left side which I liked. I helped a friend restore a junked Mustang 970 and got to try out the center T-bar control and liked it. For some reason I thought the bigger Mustang loaders had some fancy joystick controls instead.
amscontr, Did you pull the trigger on the 7810? If you are make sure to run it for a good while to get that hyd oil hot, to see if there is any problems with the drive motors or hyd pumps.
TALLRICK: as far as I know you can get the big machines with any kind of control ,I order mine with joysticks but it was going to take too long, so the dealer found this one pretty much the way a wanted ,except it had hand foot controls ,witch I've always hated, but I took it any ways, and let me tell you,when ever I try to run a Bobcat ,I looked worst than the guy that have never seen one in his life, thas why I hate them so much,but when I climb on this Mustang it was like ,all I did in my life was run this kind of control, I thought that it would take some time like everthing else ,but I was surprised, I was used to the Case controls and to this date I still love them ,I can switch back and forth from a Case machine to my Mustang and dont need any adjustment time .
There is a big difference between Gehl controls and Bobcat controls
Thanks Shameless the two speed is also without any problems? Thank you
Fabi, No problem - 2-speed is also fine.
There are big differences in Bobcat v/s Gehl controls. They both have two sticks, but the Gehl sticks twist i.e. the left stick push lever forward it goes forward, back unit goes back and twist the handle to turn - right stick forward and back controls the boom up and down and twist to tilt or dump. Bobcat both levers are for driving and steering and foot pedals for boom / tilt. It will take time to get comfortable with the Gehl steering, but once you do the lift efforts are great and precision movements are easy. My favorite is still Pilot control though.
Thanks Shameless, that's reassuring! I also have a pilot control on my Gehl 4640, some time after exercise, they are really nice. Before I had t-bar, are also good.
we have allways had Gehls and i love them i can run any skid steer but to me the gehls are the best i have run a 7810 its a stong and very nice skid steer
Poclain Drive engines we had an GEHL 5640 with this damit Poclain Drive engines, one was broken at 500Hours (was unter Waranty) but now at 2400Hours the second one makes problems, I`ve call my Local Gehl Dealer, and they want about 5000-6000USD for this Drive, without Repair, only Material, wenn geht Know, there is a fault in this Engines, why don´t offer, a fair price for this units ? 2000-3000USD Where ok, but they want around 6000USD here in Austria for it, and I will not spend to much money for an Loader that was 5 Year old, tomorrow the other Drive is again Broken and then start again ? can someone give me an Dealer in US that will suppy this Poclain Hydraulic Engines for 2speed Machines at a fair price or an seal kit ? I´ve allready Call Poclain in France, but the don´t sell anything to customers, only to Gehl, I only need a Seal Kit and they also want 1500Bucks for it ? next time I will get an other Loader like Gehl, this was my 7´th Gehl Loader and I had god experience with Gehl in the Past year, but not yeat anymore
Lamster, Sorry to hear that. You could try to large Gehl dealer in Spain - Intermaquinas (not sure that I spelled it right). Otherwise, in U.S. there is a Gehl Dealer in D.C. called Washington Air Compressor that is supposed to be pretty good - just look them up on the www.gehl.com site.
You think that is bad, you should have seen me trying to run a skid steer with joysticks. I was so used to the Bobcats that I kept stepping on the floor feeling for pedals that are not there. The machine I am most comfortable in is the old Mustang 1700, my first machine with its old Wisconsin engine and variable belt drive with clutches. The first Bobcat I had, the M610 has a similar system. Getting my first hydraulic drive machine the 843 was something to get used to because the noise and feel of the levers was very odd. The old Case controls I remember had the bucket tilt and lift on a lever where you tilt side to side. Still push forward or pull back to steer. My friend's Mustang 940 had the T-bar in the center and I had no problem with that when I would help him around the farm which was mostly moving hay and stuff around. Generally I am less confident with someone else's machine because if something breaks I know I will be obliged to figure out what it is or fix it. In my own Bobcats I am more uninhibited and things go faster.
the two gehl we have were great but my dad didnt take care of the 98 5635 one and now the motor is setting in my shop and we are trying to get a new one but my 88 4615 is still going stong
got to love good old equipment
Gehl the older 35 Series is the Best Serie that Gehl had, the 15series hat some engine problems (Perkins) , and some problems with the Hydraulic Cylinders (bends ) but strong
ya i hear that i will never buy any other kind of skid steer
I had only used bobcats before I purchased my gehl but I would rather have the T sticks any time for easy and smooth control while my feet are placed on the floor in comfort.
Have anyone issues with the lower pins at the link of the loaderframe at the 7810E (worn out at 2500hours) ?
I have a 7810 e and right now the bucket is stuck the machine has been great for years but I have a few it has low hours