i have a 2005 model caterpillar 268b with hi flow hydraulics. it has the loegering bolt on rubber track system. has a cab with ac/heat. automatic bucket hook up. what other machine would be comparable to this machine....in another brand? this thing is awesome. i love it. and i love the joystick. and i love the loegering. i need to buy another machine...used maybe....but im not sure i wanna spend that much money for a cat if i can find something close enough in power and features and size! whos next best in machines to the cat?
So let me get this straight....you have a CAT 268, you love it, its wonderful, its awesome, but you don't want to spend the same money for something so good. Thats almost like saying "I love my dentist because he's so good because he's pain free when I visit him, anyone know of another dentist I can go to?"
If you really love the Joysticks/Pilot controls that really narrows the field....to Cat. Other brands have joysticks as an option on newer models but not old stuff. You'd be restricted to buying new. Just go with a 2nd hand Cat.
yes. the machine was very expensive. and i havent tried many other brands except for older stuff. i dont like new holland. not really into the deere. doesnt takaeuchi make a joystick track machine? how are those? and what about bobcat? or case? i need another/extra machine. but i cant afford a new cat right now. even the used ones are pretty expensive that have the features i need. that should make sense. if their is a brand thats almost good enough with the same features...but for less..i might try one. and it would be my second machine.
skidsteer I had a Case 1845 (I think) wheeled unit, I put tracks on it and it performed good, not great. I got chance 4 years ago to buy a Takeuchi TL26($15,000) about like a TL130. This is a 199? machine, it had 3500 hrs, I bet Ive put 4000 hrs on it since I bought it. I have put a set of tracks on and a set of sprockets. I have really abused this machine and it still wouldnt break. It has the original bucket, I bought a grapple rake to go on it about 2 years ago, boy what a great attachment ($2500) I load debris in my dump trucks, remove root mat, etc. If I bought another machine, it would be a Takeuchi. I saw a 140 with a bunch of attachments, on Ebay that sold for $15,000. It turned out a friend of my was selling it. Just my 2 cents worth
Starting in late 06 CASE made pilot controls an option on their machines. Machines that would comparable are 445, 465 in vertical lift or 440 and 450 in radial lift.
If you're looking for similar ROC, Bobcat: S250 or S300 (bigger) Case: ksss covered those Deere: 325 (smaller but may do the job), 328, 332 (bigger). Current generation machines available with "joystick" (electro-hydraulic) controls. Older Deeres: 260 (now the 325), 270 (now the 328), or 280 (now the 332). Try the Series II versions as those have many improvements over the original machines. Gehl: 6640, V2700 Older Gehl: 6635 Mustang: 2086, V270 New Holland: L185.B, L180.B (slightly smaller), L190.B Older NH: LH185.B, LH180.B, LH180, LH190 All of these can take VTS. If you want to look at CTLs... that's a whole other list entirely.
what about a JCB, I have a 190 and I love it
Good point. Forgot it and Komatsu (SK1026). And probably others... but hopefully the OP will get the idea that there are a lot of good 2,500 lb ROC machines.
Seems simple, get another 268!
If you like the unit for the ease of operation of pilot controls and are leaning more towards a dedicated track loader, I would suggest checking the auctions like Ritchie Bros. or Iron Plant and keep a look out for late model Compact Track Loader. It is amazing some of the prices decent units are going for right now. In my opinion the best pilot controls are on a Takeuchi (Mustang or Gehl Track units are branded Takeuchi units), ASV and then CAT. I never liked the delay in the CAT machines, but with that you get anti-stall and CAT really knows how to finish a machine. The cabs are huge on the Takeuchi units compared to anyone, but the A/C is no where near as good as what CAT or ASV can offer. If Hi Flow is important - ASV has typically been strong in this aspect. With the markets right now, you could probably find a solid used machine for well under $20K. Just my two cents worth.
If you go to the main forum page and look to the Equipment for Sale tab, appox. 5 or 6 ads down there is someone in Florida advertising a CAT 277 Track Loader for sale for $19,000. You may want to check it out.
how many hours is the limit for a used skid steer?
if taken care of in terms of service and depending on the application, you can expect to see a skid last upwards of 10,000 hrs. There are units running in areas like Austraila with units over 15,000 and they work them hard over there, but take care of the units. Track Loaders are similar, but you will tend to spend a lot of money on the up keep of the undercarriage. Now this does not mean that there will not be any issues of major failures along the way, but just a idea.