Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking for information on 941 traxcavator track loader

matt_h71 · 2026-06-24 10:52

Hello I'm New to the forum ,also a first time Cat owner. I just purchased a Cat 941 traxcavator track loader and I'm trying to identify the exact year and model. The serial # is 80H39741. I have found some conflicting information in my internet searches but I believe it's a 941B . Can anyone confirm this based on the serial #? Thank you Matt

Replies15
  1. #1Nige2026-06-24 11:31

    The Serial Number is incorrect. There were never 39741 of that model built. Can you post a photo of the data plate.

  2. #2matt_h712026-06-24 14:57

    Guess I fat fingered the # when typing the post Correct serial # is 80H3974 Image attached

  3. #3Welder Dave2026-06-24 16:14

    Earlier1973 (3882-4736). It is a 941B. 941 to 941B transition was 1972. Both used 80H prefix. Early 72 up to 3039 was 941. 941B started in 1972 at 3083 according to a little booklet I have. I don't know if there were transition machines between 3039 and 3083.

  4. #4Deere500a2026-06-24 17:05
  5. #5Nige2026-06-24 17:12

    According to SIS 941B started at 80H3040. 941B machines with a 3304 engine started at 80H3884, confirmed because the engine Serial Number on the plate is 78P840. So you have quite an early 3304 engine with indirect injection, aka pre-combustion chambers. If you want to look for manuals relevant to your Serial Number here are the Cat Publication reference numbers: - Operation - SEBU5298 Maintenance - SEBU6510 Parts - UEG0680S (this covers Serial Numbers between 80H3884-5702) Service - REG00527. (A paper copy of this manual will include Operation & Maintenance Manuals provided that it is complete.)

  6. #6matt_h712026-06-24 17:17

    Thank you Welder Dave much appreciated information. and Deere500a , Yes that's her

  7. #7matt_h712026-06-24 17:20

    Thank you Nige , I downloaded a digital service manual but have been looking for the parts and operations and maintenance manuals very helpful information and much appreciated

  8. #8Nige2026-06-24 17:25

    Not from an Eastern European source I hope. They have somewhat of a reputation for poor quality. Aftermarket manuals from Jensales and Finney are not much better. Here's a genuine OEM one on eBay

  9. #9Deere500a2026-06-24 17:42

    Nige ? Traxcavator was dropped in 72?. Matt your 941 is American not a Japanese Cat for manuals

  10. #10Nige2026-06-24 17:54

    Only the OP used that terminology. I didn’t. Interesting that some of the 80H manuals still refer to the model as a traxcavator probably because they cover machines built both before and after the name was dropped. Manual reference numbers quoted above are for his specific 80H3974 Serial Number. According to what I see 941B machines were only ever produced in the US. By comparison 941 models were also produced in France (70H) & Japan (16U & 75H).

  11. #11Deere500a2026-06-24 18:40

    Traxcavator was a add on cable loader from the 50's & in the 60's Caterpillar bought the rights,his plate is stamped traxcavator asked 72 was dropped?

  12. #12matt_h712026-06-25 00:00

    I did get the jensales digital and yah it's not great . I've been looking at a couple on eBay . Thanks for the link

  13. #13Welder Dave2026-06-25 00:30

    My booklet was a little off by not listing 941B at 3040. Cat called all loaders whether wheel or crawler traxcavator up until the early 70's I believe.

  14. #14Nige2026-06-25 04:31

    You should have asked earlier and saved your money…..

  15. #15IceHole2026-07-08 22:50

    Traxcavator must have been used well into the 1970s. My late 1970s 977L is plated as one.