Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking for mechanic to hire for machine inspection in Laytonville CA?

fujam · 2025-02-17 12:02

Hello, As the title says I’m looking for a mechanic to inspect a kobelco sk115 which is located in laytonville ca. If anyone has a recommendation it would be much appreciated. Thanks, jamie

Replies7
  1. #1Birken Vogt2025-02-17 13:50

    Laytonville is way out in the middle of nowhere. Nearest sizeable town is Santa Rosa. Also might find somebody in Lake County. Hopefully somebody will come along who knows somebody over there but I don't know if we have any members in that area. I am in the same state but our state is so big I had to look where Laytonville even is.

  2. #2fujam2025-02-17 14:20

    Thanks Birken for the response. Yes I connected with someone in lake county or around there but still an hour and half away so maybe someone will come along as a closer option.

  3. #3Birken Vogt2025-02-17 15:10

    The only other hope you have is Willits or Ukiah, I think they are still allowed to damage trees there maybe. But they are both very small towns.

  4. #4fujam2025-02-18 20:50

    Well the seller sent me some pics, this is one of them. I mentioned it looks like the boom piston seals are leaking, and he said “oh no that’s from breaking a hose on the thumb that sprayed fluid everywhere.” Not making me feel like he is to be trusted or it’s worth my time looking further into the machine.

  5. #5Birken Vogt2025-02-18 20:59

    Grass growing in the tracks, not a good sign but it is rainy out there sometimes. Just the look of things makes me feel like I have been there even though I know I haven't. Just see a lot of gear like that. The odd yellow paint on the side panel and missing numbers and letters tells you something. Another suspicious thing is the lack of a registration number. It should have a red place with white numbers painted on it. That would tell you if a professional had owned it.

  6. #6fujam2025-02-18 22:00

    Yeah doesn’t feel like it’s worth the time or expense to travel or pay for an inspection. I’ll look in other directions. Anyways I appreciate your time and expertise Birken!

  7. #7Birken Vogt2025-02-18 22:07

    I'm no expert on this stuff, just an outside observer. But I do sometimes meet the people who let stuff get in this condition