Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking for more info on a Cat D4C Series II with SN 1RJ01210

ksliger ยท 2025-11-22 09:52

Greetings all. I'm looking for a little bit of information on a Cat D4C Series II with SN 1RJ01210. I haven't been to see it in person yet, and just gathering initial info. Can someone please tell me what year model this SN falls in? Also, wondering if it has wet clutches/brakes. I have a 1981 D3B with SN 27Y1185, and on paper, the two machines look very similar. The D4C is slightly heavier, but they both have the same 3204 engine. For those in the know, what are the primary differentiators between the two machines? Any useful information is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Replies7
  1. #1Nige2025-11-22 10:50

    Built March 1990. Wet rear end AFAIK. Someone else should be able to confirm. D3B 27Y years built 79-87, 65BHP, powershift, weight approx 15,160 pounds. D4C 1RJ years built 87-90, 78BHP, powershift, weight approx 16,715 pounds.

  2. #2ksliger2025-11-22 10:56

    Thank you! Both have the 3204 engine. How is the one in the D4C making more power? I don't think it has a tubro.

  3. #3Nige2025-11-22 11:26

    Most likely different FIP internal parts/settings combined with a different Part Number of injectors.

  4. #4dust eater2025-11-22 12:26

    They were a huge upgrade from the D-3's, yes on the wet rear ends also really well balanced and quite powerful for what they were. I can't remember for sure if they were turboed but I don't believe so, it's been twenty five years since I sat on one. I do remember having to adjust the steering brakes pretty regular. Other than that they where light years ahead of any other brand in that weight class

  5. #5Welder Dave2025-11-23 04:38

    You could confirm wet brakes by looking underneath for brake band supports with square head bolts. It shouldn't have them. I'd guess your D3B has them. Don't think it would have a turbo. D4H had a turbo 3204.

  6. #6masterwelder2025-11-23 09:01

    D4C II is naturally aspirated.

  7. #7dust eater2025-11-23 10:13

    I might be getting it confused with the d-5c but the brake adjusters stuck out of the floor behind the seat