Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking for older dump

osborneconst ยท 2007-05-18 14:14

I am looking for an older dump truck. I would like a kw or pete with an 8LL, but would buy other brands. What engine would you guys suggest? I want plenty of power, it will be used to pull a 35k lb loader. Thanks

Replies12
  1. #1nedly052007-05-18 16:33

    3406 Cat 425 HP

  2. #2jimmyjack2007-05-18 21:27

    mechincal cat, b model 3406 keeps fixing it easy

  3. #3Ford LT-90002007-05-19 23:44

    The 3406 Cat is a good choice so is the old N-14 Cummins the old Big Cam Cummins are alright too. If its green or silver and leaks oil run

  4. #4580bruce2007-05-20 00:13

    Think about what you need.I am not a fan of cat truck engine.They are heavy, expensive,and suck fuel.Do you need 425 hp? Do you need hd rears and 18 gears?Do a lot of shopping.

  5. #5Ford LT-90002007-05-20 00:37

    Cats are a little expensive to repair but the old 3406B is a good engine lots of power but when it does come down to doing a rebuilt yellow turns into alot of green :falldownlaugh Stay away from the 3406A model Cat and the 444 Cummins.

  6. #6Noose2007-06-11 13:25

    I just got done buying a '98 378 C-15, 18 spd. with a 15' aluminum box. before you all get excited let me say: a) I'll be hauling a tri axle pup and will probably be traveling a good 3 hrs each way in the mountains. b) The Pete has one of the best resale values as well a KW,WS and Intertrashables for farmer's, who will buy multi million km plus trucks for their heavy applications. And make them profitable. d) The aluminum box came with the truck. Hopefully some plywood will save some hits with the larger rock. I have used and was looking for a KW T-800, C-12, 15 spd. 10frnt, 40 rrs. with 4 way lockers, 15' steel dump. All around tough little dump , pulls well, tight turning and agile.

  7. #7digger242j2007-06-11 15:41

    Just for the sake of clarity, define "older". To some guys, 10 years is old, but to others, that's just getting broke in.

  8. #8Duke2007-06-11 17:15

    My "Intertrashable" as you call it, has been a great truck. They might not have a square acre of chrome or wooden paddle switches, but they get the job done. :beatsme

  9. #9Ford LT-90002007-06-11 19:17

    I assume your from Alberta, Noose ? A Pete with a short box big power 18spd probably on air ride suspension with light front axle and maybe 46 rears. A BC truck would be same power transmission but the truck would have 16'6" western style box high lift. The axles would be 20-46 on spring walking beam suspension or a Chalmers type suspension. For a straight truck we are allowed 26,100kg gvw and for a truck and quad axle transfer is around 62,000 to 63,500kgs. The T-800 Kenworth Tridrives are becoming more popular out here with a 21 foot western box the truck can haul around 24 ton legally. Truck has a manufacturers gvw of 89,000lbs. A KW Tridrive chassis new with C-15 or ISX power 18spd with 20 front and 69,000lb drives is minimum 150,000. I'am not a big fan of International either but they do the job. The term Intertrashnal or Intersmashnal is used on the West Coast. As for age of the truck it really doesn't mater aslong it runs good and will pass a CVI your good to go. In B.C. what is going to kill the use of old trucks is the new emission regs where the gov't wants exhaust filters on older trucks by 2009. That will cost anywhere from 1000 to 1500 dollars.

  10. #10Noose2007-06-12 00:05

    I've driven the Internationals, Frieghtliners, Macks and Volvos and as trucks they are perfectly capable trucks. As drive lines are concerned I don't feel there many differences as long as the apples are apples. But there are the little creature comforts that I appreciate, as a driver I hope my drivers will appreiciate and take care and pride in the ride. And a with 1.7 K I need the resale in a couple of years. I am Albertan, I suppose we run short boxes and 24,500kg weights because of the frost issues and road bans. I was lucky enough to find a Pete with a 20 K front end, before they all dissappeared. I 'm torn whether I'll really need any heavier suspension, We hauled 70k kg winter weights on bags and had advatages and disadvantages compared with springs, again apples to oranges with frame lengths, wheel bases, tires, trailers and drivers etc... I would have actually liked to have found a T800 but they are all overpriced or unavailable. Weird year! ?

  11. #11Ford LT-90002007-06-12 19:20

    The road regs in Alberta are different because of the frost issue something us West Coast B.C ers don't have to deal with. You guys wear layers of winter clothes we wear layers of rain gear :roll I imagine with 15 foot box your maxed out for legal capacity space at 11.5 yards. Then again you are dragging a tridem pup so your probably carrying 33 tons worth of material. As for steer axle capacity you probably want the 425/65R22.5 super single steers anyhow if your into soft stuff. It keeps the front end from sinking out of sight. The only problem with the 425s is the speed rating they are not really meant for higher speed driving the heat kills the tires. I pretty much only have driven Fords I learned and got my CDL with a LTL and have driven 9000s dumps. The old Fords can be a little rattley but other wise a decent truck but nothing beats a well build Paccar cab.

  12. #12thejdman042007-06-27 20:43

    855 cummins are good cheap reliable