Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Scary moment

Bob Horrell ยท 2007-05-19 16:01

I had a job the other day where I had to move about 200 yds. of dirt from one location to another only about 3/4 of a mile down a dirt road. I pretty much loaded up my super 10 dump truck since it was all on private roads (the truck holds about 16 - 17 yds full) and headed off to the dump site. The dump site was up a fairly steep hill that looked like an upside down Y. I had to go up the right leg to the top and then back down the left leg to dump. When I get up to the top and started to back down, I began a slow slide straight down to the crook of the Y where there was about a 9 foot drop off. The road was smooth and hard packed with a little loose material on top. The front wheels just slid on the slippery surface without turning the truck and the back wheels would also slide with the brakes on. It is funny how many things run through your mind when something like this happens. Fortunately the truck wasn't sliding fast but I didn't have much room to go either. I ended up opening the airgate and the road was steep enough I dropped out enough dirt to stop me. With the truck full there was enough piled against the gate I didn't need to raise the bed although that was next on my list. Once stopped, I engaged the other axle and drove back up the hill. I could now turn since about 5 yards of dirt right in the back fell out giving me a little more weight on the front end. All subsequent loads were about 5 yards lighter than the first and piled heavy in the front. I also had my pile of dirt as a buffer if it happened again. No more problems. It woud have helped if I had gone and looked at the dump site before the first load. I never would have loaded the first load the way I did. I was very lucky.

Replies8
  1. #1Steve Frazier2007-05-19 16:42

    It's good that you can think fast on your feet!! I've been in similar situations and the key is not to panic, there's no time for that. Being familiar with the equipment is a plus too. You knew just how to trip the gate and where to find the control without thinking about it. It's good to hear everything ended up OK!!

  2. #2Squizzy246B2007-05-19 17:30

    Well done Bob...its what we call a Butt Clencher.....surviving a number of butt clenchers goes to make up what I call....experience...and you can't buy that.

  3. #3richardcatdaddy2007-05-19 18:25

    subject Yep,that'll get the old pucker factor jumping up alright.Glad you werent hurt.

  4. #4thejdman042007-05-19 20:06

    good think you were able to dump enough to get yous topped, and the dirt wasnt wet and packed in then waht???

  5. #5digger242j2007-05-19 20:14

    It's funny--as I was reading that description of you sliding on all wheels, the first thing that came to my mind was to open the tailgate. I'm glad it worked!

  6. #6Bob Horrell2007-05-19 21:37

    As Squizzy said it was a butt clincher. As a matter of fact, I now have a permanent crease in the middle of the drivers seat. The gate wasn't the first thing that came to mind. I first thought of engaging both axles and seeing if I could drive forward, but then the gate popped into my head and that is what I did. I was working on engaging both axles and lifting the box when it came to a stop on the dirt that was dumped. It was dry dirt and fell out quickly. Like I said, I was lucky. Just hope my luck continues and I haven't run out when the next situation occurs. You know it will at some time.

  7. #7Ford LT-90002007-05-19 23:24

    I have been doing site hauling earlier this month putting 18 ton loads in the old Paystar 5000 I'am driving. I had a scary moment backing up and not paying attention I almost dropped the passenger side rear drive over the bank It is amazing what small little rocks can do on a hard surface they act like marbles and you loose traction.

  8. #8Tn Bulldog2007-05-20 16:37

    ive ha few times like that in a Mack & AutoCar myself have to think fast on your feet like ya did & stay calm also i just check my Levis after something like that glad to hear your ok & noone was hurt later Bulldog