Hi All, My Name is Rick and I am located in Sandown N.H.. About 2 to 3 years ago I purchased a 1974 Long backhoe. The time of year was mid October when I looked at and purchased this machine. I witnessed it run but as the days got colder it was harder to start. I hired a Diesel mechanic to look at it, and turns out one of the cylinders was not firing plus the compression was low on the other three. so we decided to rebuild the engine. I just pulled the engine out this past Spring and damaged a piece inside the transmission which the transaxle slides into. I need to either replace the part or have it remanufactured. So what I am looking for is if anyone knows of any heavy equipment salvage yards with vintage equipment just sitting rotting away with valuable parts to be salvaged. The engine is British and the name is escaping me at this time but I have a lead on remanufactured engine parts in the States for the engine. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Rick
Welcome to HEF, Rick ! I cannot help you because I have never seen a Long tractor with or with out a backhoe on it. The tractor model is needed for anyone to help.
It is a rebadged Leyland. My B-in-L has one and parts are like hens teeth. What specifically do you need? Long was a manufacturer of tobacco equipment not to far from here. They imported and rebadged several different european tractors over the years. They are all pretty much orphans now.
I was guessing David Brown, but I'll go with Mitch. It won't be hard to find if you can match the Leyland model. They're a dime a dozen, IF that part is found on a leyland ag tractor. You could by a whole tractor for parts. JCB also built on leyland chassis to start with, so that may be another source. How about some pics of the unit, the engine, transmission etc? much easier to match up than the numbers.