Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How do I determine the size of my oil pan?

PoorBob ยท 2019-08-03 19:38

I recently purchased a 2012 JD 310J backhoe and am trying to plan ahead for the first time I'll need to change engine oil. My Operator's Manual says that when to change oil is based partly on the size of my oil pan. The choices it gives me for my Tier 3 engine are: --Greater than or equal to 0.10 L/kW --Greater than or equal to 0.12 L/kW --Greater than or equal to 0.14 L/kW --Greater than or equal to 0.22 L/kW How do I determine the size of my oil pan? If it helps, my engine serial number is PE4045L19972

Replies7
  1. #1Tinkerer2019-08-03 20:01

    Welcome to HEF, PoorBob ! With the oil level to the full mark on the dipstick, drain the oil out and measure it. It is the only sure way to determine which one it has.

  2. #2Ronsii2019-08-03 20:42

    Ritchiespecs.com says 310J is 3.5 gal. I'd just get a five gallon pail and go from there

  3. #3JohnnyCarcinogen2019-08-03 23:13

    My noob method, especially with smaller equipment, is to drain the oil. Then, I replace oil one gallon at a time until the dipstick shows full. Then I start the engine, let it run for a few minutes, shut down, smoke a cigarette, and add gallons until the dipstick reads "full." Math will tell you what your actual capacity is.

  4. #4mg23612019-08-04 05:06

    Operator's manual says 3.5 gallon. If in doubt do what Tinkerer said.

  5. #5JL Sargent2019-08-04 14:20

    Interesting that my 2000ish 310E takes 9 quarts and a 2012 310J takes a whopping 14 quarts? Is it me or does that seem like an excessive amount of motor oil?

  6. #6jimg9842019-08-04 17:23

    good to have when digging in rough terrian

  7. #7mg23612019-08-04 18:34

    That's because yours has a 250 hr oil change interval. When they went to a 500 hr interval they also upped the oil capacity.