I'm a new member and still struggling to figure out how to search for my questions. I just thought I try asking. Im having no luck on the internet trying to find some parts for a 49 D4 7u3349. I have the service book and ops manual. I probably should get the parts book, but when I have actually have tried putting a p/n into the search bar it never really gets me anywhere. I need the following parts. Any suggestions would be much appreciated and help tremendously. Jeff 1) main clutch lever/linkage 2) main air cleaner with throttle/ Governor linkage
I had a mid 1940's D4 Cat a few years ago that I use around the farm. Surprisingly I found going to the local Cat dealer was the best option for parts. Yes, even that old machine was supported very well va Cat. Another source for parts and help advise is the Antique Caterpillar Machinery Owners Club (ACMOC). Take a look at there web at: https://www.acmoc.org/
Well thank you. I will do just that and see what help that can do. This Cat was my uncles who recently passed away and its been sitting for about 12 years and my dad and I are trying to revive it. Unfortunately soon after my uncle acquired it, he had a clutch issue from what I was told. It was on his farm property, and while it was sitting someone stole parts off of it. Thanks again. Jeff
try General Gear in idaho , they will need the tractor serial number, go to ebay and get a parts book for it and give them part numbers its faster
UC Davis in CA. has a museum with a few of the first Cat's ever made and tons of resources for that old iron. If memory serves they have serial #2 D6 they were restoring. Use to go to all our CNH training classes up there and took the tour many times. Maybe reach out to them and see if they can help. The guy that ran the place was really cool.
Thanks all. I will try all these avenues. I’m still trying to figure out why when I search for a clutch lever for a D4 it gives nothing but motorcycle levers I’m sure it’s mostly due to how old it is.
Parts sources are diminishing. If you know the part number try the parts listing at www.machinerytrader.com
If you can't find anything on the online auction sites you can actually get one from Cat. This one covers all machines up to 7U27569. An Operation & Maintenance Manual is also available.
That is a true statement! Thanks for the link. I will get part numbers and try that. Thank you. I attached a picture of the front end of the D4 and I have yet to see one with this type of front clip on this vintage. Have you?
Thank you!
From my experience when dealing with CAT for parts for these older machines, tell the parts slinger that your machine is OLD...and he'll need to use the Legacy book when looking up parts, as mentioned here, a reprint of the original (or an original) parts book is going to save you a lot of grief in your parts hunt future. Good luck with the old cat.
I check todays if am still the main air cleaner and the governor linkage
Yeah I’m finding out that may be a big help. ACMOC has access to parts catalog online if you join. Maybe that could be a good option?
Your saying you may have those?
I can't say that I have, I'm on the east coast and have been involved in the forest industry and construction industry of and on for most of my life, I've seen a lot of older style machines but not like you have there.
I don't know anything about that organization, It sounds like a worth while group to have on the back burner, eventually Cat will cease to support the oldest of the old.
I have a air cleaner with the collar and levers governor control and have the lever who connect to the governor shaft and have 2 other rods but not sure if they are the right on and am missing the crank 7f5183.
If you can send me a picture we can figure it out. You can send it to my cell if you like 612-207-8201 I attached a picture of what I'm missing below. Its not a good picture and it was taken before its been cleaned up a bit. It shows the air cleaner assy/ throttle arm and linkage/clevis rods And the left main clutch lever Jeff
I know I have spent countless hours researching old D4's and it leaves me scratching my head. Its unique I guess.
Looks like a home/shop built front end on that dozer. I don't recall seeing anything Cat built that looks like that and the welds are kind of a give away. Looks plenty stout and much better than landing the sweeps on the radiator shell.
I send you a air cleaner picture tomorrow or saterdays but no master cluch lever for now
Excellent thanks much.
Interesting. You could be on to something I’m no expert so I could be convinced. Before I had the s/n and was trying to hone in on a year, It was hard I couldn’t find another like it.
General Gear would have these parts most likely. You have to call or email them as they don't list parts on the website.
Okay thank you. So by some miracle through a coworker of mine got me a connection of a guy who has most of what I need. And he is about only 20 miles away I will be going there tomorrow and hopefully get what I need.
Great when it works out like that! For what it's worth, I'm finishing up a rebuild on a 1950 D4 and there are still parts out there to be found.
Nice to know. Good luck and send a picture when able. jeff