Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D5 96J Fuel Questions

rth0006 ยท 2022-08-30 10:53

Hey everyone, New here to the forum, but I have been browsing as a guest and have found several resources. I have a new to me D5 96J that I purchased for a farm dozer. So far, it has operated great for what I have in it, but I have a few fuel problems and am hoping that some folks with more experience can help with some of my issues. The dozer has the scroll fuel system, and I'm going to guess that it is a late 60's or early 70s model as the serial number is 96J00697. All fluids and filters have been changed. When I bought the dozer, it had a pretty bad fuel knock when under load. The dozer would run and push, and when bogged down, it would spin the tracks. The previous owner installed an inline fuel pump as he "thought" the fuel transfer pump was bad. I purchased new injector nozzles and installed them. The fuel knock disappeared but now the dozer bogs down when turning and has really low power, almost as if it is starving for fuel. I'm going to change the fuel filters again today but I feel like the problem is deeper than that. When I push something it will just stall, the engine will keep running but it will not spin the tracks. I read in the service manual that the transfer pump supplies around 30 psi to the injection pump. I know that this inline pump isn't supplying anywhere near that amount. Does anyone have any insight into removing the transfer pump? The service manual I have is very vague on this. If it is my injection pump, does anyone have any kind of estimate on cost to rebuild? Also, any tips on removal and timing of the pump would be super helpful. I know my way around a diesel engine but this is the first caterpillar I have ever owned. I'm more familiar with Cummins and Deere engines. Thanks in advance for all of the help!

Replies6
  1. #1Delmer2022-08-30 13:33

    That's an odd one, losing power with new nozzles. I'd double check anything that could have got "bumped" when doing the nozzle change. Air hose loose, or kinked. fuel hose kinked, throttle linkage bent or not moving to full speed. That sort of thing. Does it smoke the same, or less or more dark smoke when you stall it? I'll leave the rest to thepumpguy or the Cat guys.

  2. #2Nige2022-08-30 13:46

    Were they the correct ones is the first thing that comes into my head.

  3. #3rth00062022-09-02 08:55

    Delmer, Thanks for the reply. I have triple checked everything, and it's all in working order. When it stalls, it's about the same smoke. It has some white smoke at idle but clears up when you throttle it. I've replaced the fuel transfer pump and done away with the electric pump and still the same results. At this point, all I can think is the injection pump. Does anyone have any insight into pulling it? I've pulled plenty off of cummins engines but as I've said, Caterpillar is new to me. Thanks again.

  4. #4rth00062022-09-02 08:56

    They are the correct ones according to the parts manual for my serial number as well as the old nozzles that came out of it. Thanks.

  5. #5Dave Neubert2022-09-02 11:53

    have you checked the timing

  6. #6Jim Duke2022-09-02 22:37

    Find the fuel line coming from the fuel tank where it makes its first connection at the engine. Disconnect it, does the fuel really flow out or barely flowing, if barely, remove fuel cap and blow air back into the fuel tank. If ok puta couple gallons of power service or Stanadyne fuel treatment and run it to see if it will clear up.