Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking for quality heavy duty oil filter wrenches…..

Tags · 2014-08-25 22:10

Sorry if this isn't in the right place, but, if you guys don't know I don't know who will. I was changing the oil on my dump truck over the weekend and for whatever reason the filter were a bear to remove. I destroyed three oil filter wrenches and finally welded one to a piece of pipe that barely got the job done. Why they were sooooo tight I have no clue, I changed the oil last and I never tighten the filters with any more than my hands. Anyone have any suggestions as to what they're using? Thanks for any help.

Replies8
  1. #1mitch5042014-08-25 22:49

    I usually use a strap wrench that goes on a 1/2" ratchet, http://www.gearwrench.com/gearwrench-3149-nylon-strap-oil-filter-wrench-1-2-drive.html if they are tight, a chain wrench on a ratchet http://www.gearwrench.com/gearwrench-2595d-chain-wrench-1-2-drive.html and if the are super-tight, I have been known to drive a big (old)screwdriver through it so it lays on the inner core.

  2. #2caterpillarmech2014-08-26 05:41

    I have a big pair of channel locks that work well. Love my "Big Azz" pliers. That is the name on them.

  3. #3Tinkerer2014-08-26 07:30

    Put a thin film of grease on the filter gasket before you screw it on. It really helps when you remove them. If you drive a screwdriver into it, drive it in as close to the mounting flange as you can get it. Straight thru the core as Mitch says.

  4. #4Deeretracks2014-08-26 12:29

    I've had one of these for about 12yrs and it works very well. I use it almost daily. http://roundwrench.com/index.html

  5. #5hmearth2014-08-26 15:57

    Cat seem to have the best filter wrench never lets me down

  6. #6pburress2014-08-26 17:55

    Hey that the nick name i gave to mine

  7. #7Tags2014-08-30 09:54

    Thanks for all the help! I am definitely going to look into all those as I really don't want to buy any more that are too light...

  8. #8willie592014-08-30 10:24

    Since we're on the subject of filter wrenches, this is one I use frequently for large size filters like big diameter hydraulic filters and big oil filters on truck engines. 5 size adjustments, square hole for 1/2" drive ratchet and extensions, very durable wrench. You can put a lot of arse on it with a long handle 1/2" drive ratchet. Lisle #53100.