Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking for recomendations. 2 way radios

ken birkin ยท 2020-10-23 01:08

looking for reliable handheld site radio brands, suitable for up to 80 acre site thanks

Replies7
  1. #1Welder Dave2020-10-23 03:24

    Motorola are popular.

  2. #2Tugger22020-10-23 08:23

    We use Kenwood . Mine are old ,just had them checked out and new batteries installed. They have noise cancelling mikes . Island Communications has them here. Only complaint is they dont float.

  3. #3john hofer2020-10-23 09:05

    The cheaper the better because they get dropped that's bad for them What more important is the band Get UHF the highest frequency number they came get you.

  4. #4John Canfield2020-10-23 18:12

    Not familiar with Canadian radio laws. Do you want a commercial radio with an authorized frequency or something like our FRS/GRS (family or general radio service.) Motorola owns the commercial and first responder radio market with Kenwood probably #2. Both are great products. If you want cheap Chinese junk, Baofeung (sp.)

  5. #5Tugger22020-10-23 23:14

    Ive seen 25.00 chinese radios that scan every channel we have . My Kenwoods were about 600.00 each and just do chanels by number, but they work well on the job. Getting submerged is the only thing that wrecks them,other than that they are pretty tough.

  6. #6Birken Vogt2020-10-23 23:40

    I worked in a radio shop. Kenwood seem to be the best professional radios if you want to spend real money. Motorola usually good but cost more than their worth. 150 MHz band preferred for longer distance outdoor work. 460 MHz for when you have to go through buildings. But no hand helds have much range either way.

  7. #7John Canfield2020-10-24 09:15

    I'm an amateur radio operator (Extra Class) and I've had Kenwood radios for probably 45 years, they are top shelf. I have a Kenwood TM-281 2 meter radio in my truck I use on our local ham repeater. It's built to commercial quality.